Thread: 99 Dodge stratus daily driver need help!

Hybrid booster

99 Dodge stratus daily driver need help!

My dodge stratus has been acting up lately. It's the 2.4 auto. The past few months it would just randomly die, usually when stopping or taking off. I would put it in nuetral and it always started back up. The last few days all of a sudden it's gotten worse. 2 days ago on the way home from work it died and started back up fine, then did the same thing again a few miles later. It just flat out shut off like I turned the key off. Yesterday it died and had a hard time starting back up but after a couple tries it finally did. Today at work I scanned it and did a fuel pressure test. No codes and 51 psi running pressure at the rail. On the way home it died a couple times and started hard after that. Then when I went out later it was missing and sputtering and when I was driving about 45 it started dying and when I hit the gas it struggled to stay at 1000 rpm then died againg. Started back up fine, went to see a movie and drove home fine after the movie. It's like the more it heats up the worse it gets. It's really frustrating me because it's my only car right now. I'm thinking fuel pump but would like some ideas. Sorry for the long post but I really need some help.

Hybrid booster

Re: 99 Dodge stratus daily driver need help!

Idle control motor?

Ron

boostaholic

Run extra grds to body + eng. check power lines with a DVOM. Clean all electrical connectors under the hood. Hope this help.

Did the check engine light come on yet?

Hybrid booster

No check engine light or codes.

coil packs like to go on those, as well as cam sensors, I dont think coil pack will set a code

Hybrid booster

I think I'll try a new coil first since it'd be the eastiest thing. I put a set of cheap spark plug wires on it a few months back too so I might might swap them out for some Mopars. If that doesn't work I'll try the cam and crank sensors, then maybe a fuel pump. Then again, I hear they're practically giving new Chryslers away so maybe I'll go trade it in while it's still running.

coil packs aint cheap lol, same as the 2.0 neon guys. search

Hybrid booster

$59 at rock auto aint bad. better than a fuel pump at $191.00. I see a lot of 2005 Dodge Neons goin for 4995 around here, I think I could swing that so I guess I'll sleep on it.