Thread: What makes a Turbo Caravan/Voyager different?

Garrett booster

What makes a Turbo Caravan/Voyager different?

What makes a Turbo Caravan or Voyager different from a standard one? I assume the engine harness is a little different but other than that......what else could there be? I saw a Turbo Caravan engine harness for sale in the fo' sale section and thought it might be easier to find a really clean, well optioned N/A Caravan/Voyager and build a nice turbo motor for it. Can anyone help me out? Just looking to learn. Thanks in advance.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: What makes a Turbo Caravan/Voyager different?

the motor, transmission, engine bay wiring harness and computer, fuel pump, exhaust, and any interior trim or optional stuff that was likely to be on an optioned out model and not a base model. Most of the turbo vans had more options than the n/a 4 cylinders etc.

the turbo auto trans has different clutch drums in it that hold more clutches.

The 89 vans manual trannies were n/a:520, turbo:555
    in 90 n/a:523 turbo:568

imo 90 turbo/568 vans are the most desirable.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Not much, honestly. The wiring harness is a direct swap. If you get an n/a 2.2/2.5, you reuse all accesories, mounts etc.

As noted, the fuel pump is different, auto's are slightly stronger, 5 speeds the same, computers.

Turbo vans had varying degree's of interior choices like n/a versions.

If you find a complete turbo engine, drop it in with the harness, change the fuel pump, exhaust, your good to go.

This only applies to 1st gen AND factory 2.2/2.5. The V6 ones will need all the accessories and the older ones will need the whole thing rewiring.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

In the first gen vans the harness will work on some 87's and pretty much all 88 - 90. 84 - 86 and some 87's have a different bulkhead conenctor. Early ones had a 40 way connector while later ones have a 60 way. This was changed when FI started being used. From personal experience converting one of these (84) get a 87 or newer with FI because it is much, much easier and basically plug and play. Otherwise like simon stated it bolts right in. Even in my 84, except for the wiring, it bolted right in, I just needed to use the 84 front mount because the early vans had a different lower rad support than the later ones and the A/C compressor mount (early 84 vans had a different compressor)
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    In the first gen vans the harness will work on some 87's and pretty much all 88 - 90. 84 - 86 and some 87's have a different bulkhead conenctor. Early ones had a 40 way connector while later ones have a 60 way. This was changed when FI started being used. From personal experience converting one of these (84) get a 87 or newer with FI because it is much, much easier and basically plug and play. Otherwise like simon stated it bolts right in. Even in my 84, except for the wiring, it bolted right in, I just needed to use the 84 front mount because the early vans had a different lower rad support than the later ones and the A/C compressor mount (early 84 vans had a different compressor)
    And you would know,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Engine, harness, fuel pump and exhaust. Easy enough!

I like the 89-90, just have to find the right one. Something that either A. catches my eye or B. has alot of options.

If it is a V6, is the harness different at the firewall? I know If I get a v6 van I'll have to get all the accessories and engine mounts, just wondering if for some reason the harness connector is a different shape.

i thought the V6 and turbo fuel pumps were the same

Quote Originally Posted by Daytona22 View Post
    Engine, harness, fuel pump and exhaust. Easy enough!

I like the 89-90, just have to find the right one. Something that either A. catches my eye or B. has alot of options.

If it is a V6, is the harness different at the firewall? I know If I get a v6 van I'll have to get all the accessories and engine mounts, just wondering if for some reason the harness connector is a different shape.
    87/90 firewall plugs the same. Justin noted some 87's are different.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    i thought the V6 and turbo fuel pumps were the same
    Yes, all years V6 are turbo pumps.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Most of the 87's are the same becuse most 87's are FI, I came across an early one in a junkyard that was a carbed 2.2 and it had the earlier style plug. My guess is it was built very early for that model year and still had some parts left over from 86. Chances if you find a van it will be late 80's anyway because the early 4 headlight models are getting scarse atleast in my area I dont believe I have even seen one on the road in the last year.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    Most of the 87's are the same becuse most 87's are FI, I came across an early one in a junkyard that was a carbed 2.2 and it had the earlier style plug. My guess is it was built very early for that model year and still had some parts left over from 86. Chances if you find a van it will be late 80's anyway because the early 4 headlight models are getting scarse atleast in my area I dont believe I have even seen one on the road in the last year.
    I don't think I've seen a 4 headlight van for years.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

me either, and they're near extinct in the yards too. once in a while ill see a 2.6 van in the yard. Cant remember the last time i saw one running...

Mitsu booster

So, what about converting a V6 to turbo or an AWD to FWD turbo? Any additional obstacles with either of these conversions? How about adding a manual transmission to a 1991-1995 van? It's getting very easy to find the 2nd gen vans compared to first gen vans.

Thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomInOregon View Post
    So, what about converting a V6 to turbo or an AWD to FWD turbo? Any additional obstacles with either of these conversions? How about adding a manual transmission to a 1991-1995 van? It's getting very easy to find the 2nd gen vans compared to first gen vans.

Thanks,
    Tom
    V6 is the same, but you need the complete engine and accessories, front mount bracket.

AWD 1st Gen, find a donor 2nd gen and swap over the parts with some minor fabbing-maybe for the driveshaft length and mounts. You would have to swap the T case over to the auto trans, not sure if its a direct bolt on but I think it is.

2nd Gen, adding a 5 speed is the same as a 1st gen, find the parts, install, your golden. The 1st and 2nd gen had IDENTICAL pedals, engine mounts/engine bay stuff and suspension. The K-members, control arms and front brakes are different. Minor exterior and interior mods as well.

Mitsu booster

Thanks, turbovanman. Like the original poster, I am looking for pretty much the same information. I have a 1989 T1 5 speed now. The drivetrain is good, but the rest of the van has issues. I am wanting to do a similar swap to what the OP suggested. I want to take the drivetrain out of my mini and put it into a 1995 Town and Country. Lately the only T&Cs I can find are AWD, so I wanted to make sure that I can still do the swap into the AWD chassis. I believe the only additional step is to swap rear axles, correct?
    I hate to tear apart a factory turbo 5 speed, but I don't want to dump a bunch of money into fixing all of the other problems either. To the OP; sorry, I'm not trying to threadjack, but I think we are both looking for pretty much the same information.

Tom

Thanks, turbovanman. Like the original poster, I am looking for pretty much the same information. I have a 1989 T1 5 speed now. The drivetrain is good, but the rest of the van has issues. I am wanting to do a similar swap to what the OP suggested. I want to take the drivetrain out of my mini and put it into a 1995 Town and Country. Lately the only T&Cs I can find are AWD, so I wanted to make sure that I can still do the swap into the AWD chassis. I believe the only additional step is to swap rear axles, correct?
    I hate to tear apart a factory turbo 5 speed, but I don't want to dump a bunch of money into fixing all of the other problems either. To the OP; sorry, I'm not trying to threadjack, but I think we are both looking for pretty much the same information.

Tom
    Your missing an important step on the 2nd gen's, you need a custom engine harness built if your not capable, they are a different setup than 1st gens.

Rear axles?????? not sure what you mean?

I've always wanted an AWD turbo van, would be friggin awesome for drag racing,

Mitsu booster

On the AWD, the rear axle has a differential, so if you're converting to FWD you would swap out the rear axle to get rid of that differential.
    Any ideas on who could build a custom engine harness for me?

On the AWD, the rear axle has a differential, so if you're converting to FWD you would swap out the rear axle to get rid of that differential.
    Any ideas on who could build a custom engine harness for me?
    Oh, I thought you'd want to keep it but I guess if your going 5 speed, It probably won't bolt up to the manual trans.

Its been awhile since I've seen an AWD so worst case, you remove the driveshaft.

Someone said they knew someone who could do it, maybe post up a wanted ad.

Mitsu booster

I'm still looking at my options for transmission. I really, really like my 5 speed. On the other hand, an auto would work better with the heavier van, and if I try to keep the AWD for some reason the auto would work better with that.