Thread: SRT4 Motor Going Into 86 OMNI, PCM ?

Mitsu booster

SRT4 Motor Going Into 86 OMNI, PCM ?

Alright here's the low-down I have:

85 GLHS Omni complete for a parts car

86 GLHS Omni Custom leather/suede interior with new carpet and headliner, frame and suspension blasted and painted, and all body work done with new paintjob, lets just say it's a damn clean car.

2005 SRT4 2.4L with 15,000 miles

2005 SRT4 2.4L with 24,000 miles, complete with engine harness and VIN matching PCM

Super 60 Harness for the Omni

85 Engine Harness removed from the above mentioned

Turbo I PCM

Turbo II PCM

and the SRT PCM from the above listed engine.

Now that crap is up, I WANT THAT SRT MOTOR IN MY NICE OMNI, haha, everything is figured out and taken care of EXCEPT:

How the hell can I control this engine in this car? Can I use any of the stuff I have, or have them regrogrammed. Or am I gonna need to sell some of this stuff and buy an aftermarket Engine Management System?

The issues I have with the SRT PCM is the Chipped Key that requires the SKIM module and all of that crap not to mention all the wiring thats supposed to go to the Fusebox w/ relays that I do not have.

Anyone with any ideas or anyone who has actually put the SRT motor in something else, please post any idea's or ways I can control this engine in this car.

Thanks guys for your time, and sorry for the novel i just wrote.

P.S. I'd be more than happy to upload some pics if anyone is curious

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: SRT4 Motor Going Into 86 OMNI, PCM ?

Use the S60 Harness and matching SMEC, have it socketed for a chip, run a cal for your car by Shelgame or FWD. Add the wiring for an oxygen sensor. Use a dizzy adapter by Rbryant-just search his member name and its in his sig.

Post pics of course.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

isn't there a guy on the other forum that has figured out how to read the 2.4 crank trigger and interface with a SMEC?

boostaholic

There's a guy on here that did a complete srt swap into his town and country, I saw it at carlisle last summer, it was awsome, you might want to contact him. I don't know his user name, can someone chime in?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    isn't there a guy on the other forum that has figured out how to read the 2.4 crank trigger and interface with a SMEC?
    Yes. It's in this thread.

John

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Assuming that it works and is stable the electronic adapter would be great....

I actually suggested creating a module that emulates the SMEC in the thread (my username there is still rfb6435). I have a lot of respect for what has been done.

The problem is I don't think it has been proven to be reliable yet on both the old and new style crank triggers. That is why I had the adapters made. They are dead simple and don't have any electronic stability issues (because they don't have any electronics.) They also work off from the head so the same product works for both SRT4 and older style 2.0/2.4 engines.

I really think the electronic one is a great idea but it is going to take a while to get stable. When the idea was started the cheapest mechanical adapter was something like $250 and the electronics would be much cheaper.

I created a cost reduced mechanical one for us to be cheaper and I am currently selling them for $90 so it is a fairly even game and it is a proven product.

-Rich

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Assuming that it works and is stable the electronic adapter would be great....

I actually suggested creating a module that emulates the SMEC in the thread (my username there is still rfb6435). I have a lot of respect for what has been done.

The problem is I don't think it has been proven to be reliable yet on both the old and new style crank triggers. That is why I had the adapters made. They are dead simple and don't have any electronic stability issues (because they don't have any electronics.) They also work off from the head so the same product works for both SRT4 and older style 2.0/2.4 engines.

I really think the electronic one is a great idea but it is going to take a while to get stable. When the idea was started the cheapest mechanical adapter was something like $250 and the electronics would be much cheaper.

I created a cost reduced mechanical one for us to be cheaper and I am currently selling them for $90 so it is a fairly even game and it is a proven product.

-Rich
    So are you referring to running a distributor off of the cam with an adaptor/bracket? I do have this setup ready to go with all needed components, if not would you please elaborate specifically what your referring to doing? Thanks!

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Use the S60 Harness and matching SMEC, have it socketed for a chip, run a cal for your car by Shelgame or FWD. Add the wiring for an oxygen sensor. Use a dizzy adapter by Rbryant-just search his member name and its in his sig.

Post pics of course.
    Sorry just a few questions to clarify for myself.

How do you have a SMEC socketed for a Chip, is that a service offered by like FWD or something. Then once that is done, do I install a chip or i'm heading in the wrong direction with that thought? Then the cal would be for the SRT4 or an 86 Omni?

Then about the O2 sensor wiring. I already have O2 sensors, which wiring are you referring to adding? Does my super 60 harness not accomodate that? Or would I have to run new wiring for the SMEC?

Thanks alot for all of your help/wisdom, and appriciate the patience, i'm attempting to learn as much as possible but did not start with much haha.
    I'll get pics up this weekend sometime hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolandj View Post
    Sorry just a few questions to clarify for myself.

How do you have a SMEC socketed for a Chip, is that a service offered by like FWD or something. Then once that is done, do I install a chip or i'm heading in the wrong direction with that thought? Then the cal would be for the SRT4 or an 86 Omni?

Then about the O2 sensor wiring. I already have O2 sensors, which wiring are you referring to adding? Does my super 60 harness not accomodate that? Or would I have to run new wiring for the SMEC?

Thanks alot for all of your help/wisdom, and appriciate the patience, i'm attempting to learn as much as possible but did not start with much haha.
    I'll get pics up this weekend sometime hopefully.
    You have a SMEC socketed, which means someone takes out the factory chip and installs a socket you install a removeable chip. This removeable chip is then programmed according to your setup.

I can socket a SMEC as can Shelgame or FWD. You get a cal from Shelgame, or FWD.

The Super60 was designed for a race car so no Oxygen sensor, I am not sure the wiring isn't there but its super simple to add if its not.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

So are you referring to running a distributor off of the cam with an adaptor/bracket? I do have this setup ready to go with all needed components, if not would you please elaborate specifically what your referring to doing? Thanks!
    Yes this is what I meant. Running a distributor off the cam is the proven method.

turbo addict

The only way to get an Srt-4 cal is to run an Srt-4 computer. You can approximate the calibration and program the chip in the SMEC, or better yet, you can spend some time and effort and tune the calibration to best suit your setup. The chips are reprogrammable a finite number of times but are relatively cheap along with the burners; so, if you are motivated you can modify the tables yourself on your computer after doing some research and do whatever you want. Megasquirt or socketed SMEC are the best ways to go unless you can get your hands on an entire Srt harness and computer system (might as well get the cluster too if possible).

BTW: here is my distributor adapter...Rich's is a little more refined.

and installed

Hybrid booster

^^ that's pretty damn sexy right there!

Thanks for the thread guys! Ill have a minivan 2.4 on a stand in my kitchen tomorrow and this helps..

Sorry to hijack but..
    Is there a benefit to use MS over a socket SMEC?

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post

Sorry to hijack but..
    Is there a benefit to use MS over a socket SMEC?
    Depends on how good you are at programming. I was going to go standalone but the OE setup I feel is far superior, as do others, for driveability, once its dialed in. If you have cruise, a/c etc, then you need to run the stock computer AND the MS.

Hybrid booster

More pics of interior / exterior / engine, I say! Nice work!

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Megasquirt............................