Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HELP! R/T Caught the no start issue!

Re: HELP! R/T Caught the no start issue!

Quote Originally Posted by bansheenut420 View Post
    For as finiky as the sensors are, I dont think that is a good idea.... A little tiny change, and the sensor will not work. A PP sitting to high, a little gunk holding the sensor back futher. Lots of things will make them not work. But, thats just my .02.

I checked with one of our aluminum flywheel manufacturers and metallic coating is their preferred method.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31230

If that's good enough for the pros then I would think it should work fine on our cars.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I bought one of these aluminum TIII flywheels from TU. I have not installed it yet but I have a hard time believing it will work now that I have it here in front of me. I asked Chris if these were tested before production and never got an answer. It also does not appear to have any kind of coating on it although it does have the notches for the crank sensor. The only ferrous part of it is the friction insert and starter ring.

Because of this I also purchased two lightweight cast iron TIII flywheels from TU for my two TIII projects. They are listed as "Not yet available" on the TU website, but I sent in an OEM TIII flywheel so the timing notches could be duplicated. I have not received them yet though.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dds78910 View Post
    I bought everything from TU and everything was for a TIII. The New PP is a Sacs, the same that came off the car.
    Could have been an accidental mix up. Easy way to verify; Remove the crank Sensor, Then (also remove the spark plugs for easy rotation by hand) rotate the engine to position a notch in view thru the crank sensor hole. Using a long wire or pick, run the tool across the notch towards the PP. IF the Pressure Plate is even JUST SLIGHTLY above the bottom of the notch, it will NOT start.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Iroc R/T View Post
    Could have been an accidental mix up. Easy way to verify; Remove the crank Sensor, Then (also remove the spark plugs for easy rotation by hand) rotate the engine to position a notch in view thru the crank sensor hole. Using a long wire or pick, run the tool across the notch towards the PP. IF the Pressure Plate is even JUST SLIGHTLY above the bottom of the notch, it will NOT start.

I know it came up a little higher than the bottom of the notch, but my new pp was suppose to work with the TIII.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Iroc R/T View Post
    Are you SURE that you installed a T-III Pressure Plate? A T-III PP is slightly smaller than the T-II and a T-II PP will prevent the Crank sensor for getting the signal.
    Ralph ... got both a T2 and T3 Sachs PP(s) here. Stock affairs (they're both 100% OEM). Same P/N's, size and shape. Went through this with Sachs a few years ago. "No T3 specific Sachs PP's ... exact same as T2". Doubt this is his issue.

boostaholic

It is the flywheel, found the signal wire to crank sensor a hooked it to the multimeter. I cranked the car over and got 5 volts with no change. then I pulled the sensor out and turned ignition on and had 5 volts, I waved a wrench in front of the senor and the voltage would drop every time the wrench would come near the senor. So either my flywheel doesn't have the coating or the coating isn't strong enough. So I started to pull the tranny tonight.

It is the flywheel, found the signal wire to crank sensor a hooked it to the multimeter. I cranked the car over and got 5 volts with no change. then I pulled the sensor out and turned ignition on and had 5 volts, I waved a wrench in front of the senor and the voltage would drop every time the wrench would come near the senor. So either my flywheel doesn't have the coating or the coating isn't strong enough. So I started to pull the tranny tonight.
    Might I suggest a Fidanza lightweight steal. I have one in my car, it works. Lighter than stock. Lighter than a drilled stocker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    I checked with one of our aluminum flywheel manufacturers and metallic coating is their preferred method.

If that's good enough for the pros then I would think it should work fine on our cars.

Chris-TU
    Guess not eh? Wasnt trying to bash. I am just a complete idiot when it comes to these cars. Just wanted to give my .02. What pros use our setup?
    Just what did these pro's say about our setup? As I dont see anything in that thread you posted in relation to what we are talking about. That car doesnt even have a cps.
    Last edited by bansheenut420; 02-16-2009 at 04:17 AM.

boostaholic

Might I suggest a Fidanza lightweight steal. I have one in my car, it works. Lighter than stock. Lighter than a drilled stocker.
    Where did you get that at?

Where did you get that at?
    Fwd performance. The stocker weighs 18lbs or so, this one weighs like 12-13 IIRC.

boostaholic

And its for the TIII?

Yup. notches and all. custom made for us. and its been running in my car for 10k+ miles.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Ralph ... got both a T2 and T3 Sachs PP(s) here. Stock affairs (they're both 100% OEM). Same P/N's, size and shape. Went through this with Sachs a few years ago. "No T3 specific Sachs PP's ... exact same as T2". Doubt this is his issue.
    I will mirror this statement.

They dont make a special cover these days. Waste of money. One size fits all boys.

turbo addict

Chris-TU
    I dont really understand this link.

I dont see anything here except a custom flywheel that has no timing marks?
    How do Masi heads even read timing?

That sucks Dustin, I was afraid this would happen. Looks like I'll be returning mine as well. I was also a little confused about the link to Alan's setup above. The Masi setup uses a distributor.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

I know it came up a little higher than the bottom of the notch, but my new pp was suppose to work with the TIII.
    You've confused me, Ralph stated that IF the PP comes up just passed the notch, it won't start. You have stated that you have this issue but you are blaming the flywheel?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Guess not eh? Wasnt trying to bash. I am just a complete idiot when it comes to these cars. Just wanted to give my .02. What pros use our setup?
    Just what did these pro's say about our setup? As I dont see anything in that thread you posted in relation to what we are talking about. That car doesnt even have a cps.
    The company that manufacturers our custom aluminum flywheels is the same company that Alan went to for his custom Maserati set up. They prefer using the metallic spray on method. Sorry, I should have been more clear in my previous post.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

The company that manufacturers our custom aluminum flywheels is the same company that Alan went to for his custom Maserati set up. They prefer using the metallic spray on method. Sorry, I should have been more clear in my previous post.

Chris-TU
    Ok, but what does a maserati setup need a metallic coated flywheel for when it doesnt have flywheel pickups and can get away with running a regular old alum. flywheel? And how does that gaurantee that its going to work on the super sensitve cps sensors on the TIII? That link had nothing to do with TIII anything which is what the question is here. Did you even test these things on a TIII car? I mean its cool the company prefers using metallic spray, but that does the TIII guys no good if they dont work. I prefer using stuff thats tested, proven and works on a TIII car.

Ok, but what does a maserati setup need a metallic coated flywheel for when it doesnt have flywheel pickups and can get away with running a regular old alum. flywheel? And how does that gaurantee that its going to work on the super sensitve cps sensors on the TIII? That link had nothing to do with TIII anything which is what the question is here. Did you even test these things on a TIII car? I mean its cool the company prefers using metallic spray, but that does the TIII guys no good if they dont work. I prefer using stuff thats tested, proven and works on a TIII car.

Sorry, I am typing as S L O W as I can for you. This is our vendor's preferred method on all applications. He doesn't build them for Maserati's for TU. Alan had had a one off kit created for him at a VERY high price at this location. . They mostly do high end applications which was noted by Alan in his thread. Hope that clears things up for you.

Chris-TU
    Last edited by Chris W; 02-16-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Sorry, I am typing as S L O W as I can for you. This is our vendor's preferred method on all applications. He doesn't build them for Maserati's for TU. It was a one off done for Alan. They mostly do high end applications which was noted by Alan in his thread. Hope that clears things up for you.

Chris-TU
    Hey, thanks for typing slow as obviously I am the one who needs it here. But what does that have to do with the flywheel your vendor made, you obviously didnt test on a TIII car that doesnt work? Thanks for avoiding the questions. Like I said, cool they use it on other applications, but that dont mean crap for the guys who car wont run because of it. Again, thanks for typing slow. But how about helping with the problem you product caused instead of trying to name drop like thats going to help sold the no start issue. Yes, I am aware you didnt technically "name drop" but your trying to make it sound like becuase these guys build race car parts, they know somthing about a engine management sensor from the early 90's.
    Hey thanks for typing slow again, but maybe next time you could try reading a little slower.

I don't really want to get into this, but I will say that my TIII aluminum flywheel wasn't coated with anything. Maybe the shop that TU uses thought some kind of optical sensor was used, I dunno. When I ordered it, I was expecting some kind of steel trigger ring on the outer circumference. I believe there is a picture of what I'm talking about in the aforementioned thread about Alan's masi flywheel/clutch setup.

At any rate, the new lightened TIII flywheels from TU should be on the way soon (I hope?) so I should be set for my two projects. I think I'd prefer them over the aluminum for other reasons anyway. I mean kudos for trying something new, but it's unfortunate the Dustin had to go through a lot of work only to have to pull it all apart again.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast