Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! R/T Caught the no start issue!

boostaholic

HELP! R/T Caught the no start issue!

Pulled engine and tranny out to change clutch and to fix leaks and get things cleaned. I sprayed everything off with pressure washer even engine bay. I did my best to stay away fom ecu. I put it back together today, and installed a aluminium flywheel and clutch from TU. It will crank but not start, there is no spark and I dont think the injectors are firing. There is only a half volt signal going to coil pack and the only codes I get are 12 53 55. Any ideas? I also redid engine timing a to th factory spec since I changed front main seal.

Re: HELP! R/T Caught the no start issue!

Quote Originally Posted by dds78910 View Post
    Pulled engine and tranny out to change clutch and to fix leaks and get things cleaned. I sprayed everything off with pressure washer even engine bay. I did my best to stay away fom ecu. I put it back together today, and installed a aluminium flywheel and clutch from TU. It will crank but not start, there is no spark and I dont think the injectors are firing. There is only a half volt signal going to coil pack and the only codes I get are 12 53 55. Any ideas? I also redid engine timing a to th factory spec since I changed front main seal.
    Give us a call tomorrow. We hve a few ideas that may help you out.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

An aluminum flywheel? Is there a trigger ring on it still? Is the pressure plate for a T3 car? It sounds like the crank sensor is not reading the flywheel correctly or the crank sensor is dead.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJ138 View Post
    An aluminum flywheel? Is there a trigger ring on it still? Is the pressure plate for a T3 car? It sounds like the crank sensor is not reading the flywheel correctly or the crank sensor is dead.
    +2.

Although its been awhile but I believe the crank sensor is supposed to get a 5 volt reference voltage.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Flywheel has the notches for the crank sensor. I think if I read right it is suppose to have bat. voltage at the coil pack. Car ran fine 2 weeks ago. Could the engine cleaner messed with crank sensor?

Flywheel has the notches for the crank sensor. I think if I read right it is suppose to have bat. voltage at the coil pack. Car ran fine 2 weeks ago. Could the engine cleaner messed with crank sensor?
    No, not unless its cracked.

Yes, you should get 12 volts to the coil and 5 volts to the cam/crank sensors.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Before I recieved my spirit back from the transmission repair shop they some how crack/broke the crank position sensor. They replaced it and all was fine.

boostaholic

Its very easy to destroy the crank sensor when separating the motor and trans if you dont pull off the TB. I have done that a few times....

boostaholic

Is there a way to check the crank sensor while it is in the car? When I had the tranny out I scrubbed the inside of the tranny out by hand so I wipped off the sensor and saw it didnt have any cracks and looked like a small magnet so I assume it was ok (never really seen one before). I had a overhead crane holding up the tranny and I pushed it in by hand so I dont think I hit the sensor but you never know.

Any other ideas would be great, I want to rule everything out before I decide to pull the tranny.

Is there a way to check the crank sensor while it is in the car? When I had the tranny out I scrubbed the inside of the tranny out by hand so I wipped off the sensor and saw it didnt have any cracks and looked like a small magnet so I assume it was ok (never really seen one before). I had a overhead crane holding up the tranny and I pushed it in by hand so I dont think I hit the sensor but you never know.

Any other ideas would be great, I want to rule everything out before I decide to pull the tranny.
    You might be able to test it with a multimeter, let me look it up tomorrow.

The TIII CPS is a hall effect type sensor right? I'm not sure how a sensor that works off of changes in a magnetic field could function with a (non-magnetic) aluminum flywheel. I'm curious, does the flywheel have a steel insert or trigger ring like RJ138 mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    The TIII CPS is a hall effect type sensor right? I'm not sure how a sensor that works off of changes in a magnetic field could function with a (non-magnetic) aluminum flywheel. I'm curious, does the flywheel have a steel insert or trigger ring like RJ138 mentioned?
    There are a couple of ways sensors can be triggered. The aluminum flywheels we sell are coated with a metallic spray and then notched for the sensors.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    There are a couple of ways sensors can be triggered. The aluminum flywheels we sell are coated with a metallic spray and then notched for the sensors.

Chris-TU
    For as finiky as the sensors are, I dont think that is a good idea.... A little tiny change, and the sensor will not work. A PP sitting to high, a little gunk holding the sensor back futher. Lots of things will make them not work. But, thats just my .02.
    I would be willing to bet that the new flywheel is playing a part in this. If it does end up not being the flywheel, he damaged the sensor pulling the trans. But, I have had one that the case was cracked on, and it worked just fine.

boostaholic

Well if I need to buy a crank sensor, where can I get one from?

Well if I need to buy a crank sensor, where can I get one from?
    Mopar.

Tony Hanna, search his name and crank, he spliced in a newer one off a 3.3/3.8 I believe, dirt cheap.

Cindy also has em last time I checked.

boostaholic

I have the wire diagram suplement book, I going to find out which wire is suppose to receive the signal and probe the wire with my multimeter and crank the car over and see if it shows something. Not quite sure what to expect, but if it shows something I'll take that as a good sign. If it doesnt do anything I pull the sensor out and do the same test and pass a piece of metal in front of the sensor. I'm assuming if the sensor is OK that it would show something on the multimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post

Chris-TU
    That's neat! I hadn't thought of a ferrous coating when I was trying to figure out how an aluminum flywheel could work with the sensor.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Are you SURE that you installed a T-III Pressure Plate? A T-III PP is slightly smaller than the T-II and a T-II PP will prevent the Crank sensor for getting the signal.
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Iroc R/T View Post
    Are you SURE that you installed a T-III Pressure Plate? A T-III PP is slightly smaller than the T-II and a T-II PP will prevent the Crank sensor for getting the signal.
    I bought everything from TU and everything was for a TIII. The New PP is a Sacs, the same that came off the car.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast