Thread: My Test And Tune today

My Test And Tune today

I didn't formally introduce myself. But my name is Brian and I own a 1986 Shelby Charger that I bought recently. It took me 6 years to find another one from owning a 83 1/2 SC when I was 15.

Anyway here is some pictures:

And I tell you what, when I went to the local track today (Silver Dollar Raceway) people were like WTF is that. Literally all the new mustang guys were asking, "Did Carrol Shelby really help Chrysler with these cars???".

So here is the break down on what I did:
    -The car is completely stock, crush bent exhaust, and i only raised the boost to 11psi.

1st pass (I took it easy)
    R/T: .166
    60': 2.423
    330: 6.787
    1/8: 10.347
    MPH: 70.25
    1000: 13.367
    1/4: 15.914
    MPH: 87.34mph

2nd pass

R/T: -.196
    60': 2.436
    330: 6.564
    1/8: 9.999
    MPH: 71.75
    1000: 12.974
    1/4: 15.494
    MPH: 89.49

Last Pass:
    R/T: .369
    60': 2.317
    330: 6.389
    1/8: 9.726
    MPH: 73.94
    1000: 12.617
    1/4: 15.068
    MPH: 91.73

I was so excited to know what I ran my last pass. I had a smile that no one could take away. First of all, I didn't think this car would do well at all, I was thinking to myself, "it's going to run 16's". For being a 23 year old car, I'm shocked. Although I was fighting with the trans on my three runs, I bet it hates me now...lol This 525 isn't going to hold up longer as I throw more mods on it. Before this I owned nothing but Honda's (except my first car), they ran 16's with mods, except for the one that I turbo'ed and ran 12's.
    But anyway I can't wait to install my 3in exhaust, and get a 3in or 2.5 swingvalve and see what it does then.
    Well I just wanted to share my experience with the turbo-mopar community!
    Last edited by WalkingSoftly; 02-01-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: My Test And Tune today

Welcome and congrats, nice looking car,

Yep, boost is like crack, its addicting. I've lost track of the money I've spent, and the time, oh the time, lol!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Welcome! How does it feel to experience more than 200 ft/lb of torque?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

that is a REALLY good time for the very little you have done.. im impressed. nice looking car too.

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Welcome! How does it feel to experience more than 200 ft/lb of torque?
    Aw man I tell you what from driving Honda's which have NO torque, it definitely something different! If I don't pay attention and im trying to get out of traffic, I am completely bewildered by being forced into the seat. I LOVE it. HAHA. Torque gets you out the hole, I don't have to wait to get moving...

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    that is a REALLY good time for the very little you have done.. im impressed. nice looking car too.
    Thanks man! Yea I've been racing since I was 15 (Im 20 now), I've racing in NHRA Sportsman, Nopi NDRA, ImportFaceOff Racing Series, and ImportShowdown's with my Honda's and I think I learned how to drive a FWD by now...haha.

And I believe I could have got a 14 out of it today if I preloaded the clutch more. BUT the staging lines was SO ridiculous for a test and tune event. I waited an hour for each run, I said heck no Im not waiting again, so I went home. But I will be back out there again to achieve 14's with the little that I have done.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Welcome and congrats, nice looking car,

Yep, boost is like crack, its addicting. I've lost track of the money I've spent, and the time, oh the time, lol!
    Thanks! Boost is an addiction, and I can't get sober. Hi, I am Brian and I am a Boost addict. Lol. I agree I lost track of money also in the past turboing cars, and this one is going to make my wallet skinny for the urge to go faster.

Oh yea you got any videos of your van racing? Sigh I would do anything to find a turbo Caravan. It's hard enough to find any turbo mopar product down here

turbo addict

Congrats, better not get into the 14's with that though, people will start calling you a liar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Congrats, better not get into the 14's with that though, people will start calling you a liar
    Ha!

Like those that don't believe that Bryan LaForest's T1 car with a stock longblock and turbo with no intercooler goes 12.86?

Congrats Brian, nice looking Charger! Good luck with your mods!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingSoftly View Post
    Thanks! Boost is an addiction, and I can't get sober. Hi, I am Brian and I am a Boost addict. Lol. I agree I lost track of money also in the past turboing cars, and this one is going to make my wallet skinny for the urge to go faster.

Oh yea you got any videos of your van racing? Sigh I would do anything to find a turbo Caravan. It's hard enough to find any turbo mopar product down here
    Yeah, I have a few, I have more somewhere, have to find them.

My first run into the 12's-

Dyno of my 2.5 TIII a week after I got it running-

http://media.putfile.com/Dynoing-my-...-turbo-Caravan
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice runs! Glad to see you found another TD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

So was it a 2.1 or a 2.2 60' on that last pass? Nicely done on street tires I had an 87 Shelby Charger that looked just like your car

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    So was it a 2.1 or a 2.2 60' on that last pass? Nicely done on street tires I had an 87 Shelby Charger that looked just like your car
    Unfortunately it wasn't a 2.1 or 2.2, I wish. More seat time and less people at the track, just maybe I could have. But my last pass was a 2.3 60ft, I updated the original post on the complete breakdown of the time slips.

thanx for sharing your drag racing adventure, the 1986 SC is a great car w/ lots of potential, no doubt you will discover that as you move along w/ the project. btw, a 15.0 in a stock 86 T1 L-body on street tires is pretty damn good so nice work on the driving.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

im jealous that you can actually race this time of year! congrats on the timeslips