Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L/Megasquirt install guide

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

3.0L/Megasquirt install guide

Hey guys..I found this awesome website the other day and figured that i would share it with you.

Here goes How To Megasquirt your 3.0L Dodge

It seems that the 3.0L crowd is growing (although slowly )

The link goes to the DIYAutotune site by the way.

FYI: I used this to help install my MSII w/ rev3.0PCB on my spirit. It runs like total crap now..but thats what i get for trying to tune it in 10 degree weather LOL. And to be expected i guess. I will try to update this when i get it running better.
    Last edited by nmw2006; 01-27-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added info

Hybrid booster

Re: 3.0L/Megasquirt install guide

Very cool!!!!!!!! There is hope for the 3.o
    i have a 3.o shadow ,daily driver, good little car
    and it boogies.

Thanks nm

turbo addict

Cool! Ive been looking into 3.0 swappin my rampage to a 3.0, and this looks like a better option. More expensive thou.

Hybrid booster

Theres no mods on my car,i think it buzzes around
    faster than your average car,its kinda fun,
    that rampage ,would be a reliable,fun, quick car

Hybrid booster

compared with other ECU options, the MS is by far the best bang for your buck. i have it running my SOHC 24v 3.0 which will be getting an M90 S/C in the near future. The great thing with the MS, is you can run your motor on it whether its N/A or boosted, no need to swap any parts etc (unless you plan to go to like 24+psi boost). the guide at DIY is good and makes use of the stock dizzy so ignition should be easier. if I can get it to work, so can anyone!

turbo addict

How hard is it to tune it thou? Does it have to be constantly changed for weather conditions?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

naah its pretty easy to tune. takes less than an hour to get it starting and running pretty well. if you use a MS2 processor, it has a nice autotune feature.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by nmw2006 View Post
    Hey guys..I found this awesome website the other day and figured that i would share it with you.

Here goes How To Megasquirt your 3.0L Dodge

It seems that the 3.0L crowd is growing (although slowly )

The link goes to the DIYAutotune site by the way.

FYI: I used this to help install my MSII w/ rev3.0PCB on my spirit. It runs like total crap now..but thats what i get for trying to tune it in 10 degree weather LOL. And to be expected i guess. I will try to update this when i get it running better.
    Excited to see what happens when you rev up near or over 7000
    Its still too cold for me to even want to go outside :P
    Do you have a garage you wired that thing up in? I think I probably need to redo some stuff on my board but I haven't really checked yet.

DIY autotune became a vendor for TD like 6 months ago and I had no idea about it. They said they watched our progress and our complains about lack of vendor support and they put together the help guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
    Actually, the 3.0 packages and articles came about because of this forum. We've known how to make the Megasquirt work on a 3.0 for a long time, but once we became sponsors here, we had quite a few forum members asking what was involved in putting Megasquirt on a 3.0. So we took what we'd learned and rolled it up into a tech article.

One of the rules about the tech articles is that they're always based on current stable release code. Even though it the code for the 2.2 / 2.5 HEP signal has been tested, it's still in the beta stages, and we may want to do some in house testing before releasing an article and the installer packages for it.

I ended up swapping back to the stock computer for now because it is just too cold to work on it. I will get back into it when it warms up some.

No garage or heat.....Life Sucks....LOL

Hybrid booster

hey, im in Columbus if you wanted a hand with the MS. ive got mine running pretty well and might be able to give you some pointers or direction on getting it to run

Mitsu booster

It sounds like the average person can't install it unless you're familiar with wiring. Sounds way to hard for me. Any other help websites?

Actually its one of the easiest if not THE easiest engine management system to install.

Don't mean that as an insult, but it could be ALOT worse...like trying to combine 2 harnesses to make my car run right with all the features i want....

I would think that most people could figure it out with a little practice and the wiring diagrams out of your Haynes or Chilton manual.

Good Luck

turbo addict

One trick I think would be picking up a non sequential injection injector wire harness.

I would like to throw away everything stock that I don't need but I know it would be really difficult to get the stock cluster to work after doing that.
    If someone does that then the info should be easy to share and we could clean up our installs.

Anyone know of aftermarket lights/signals setups?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

certain 199x cars are darn near impossible to do that cause the gauge cluster was driven by 2 wires from the ecu. i dont know if your car is like that though.

an older gauge cluster swap would work though a tach still might be difficult.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Would there be any advantage to using the 87 and prior Power Module for alternator control? (Just wondering what kind of hissy fits the SMEC/SBEC throws if it isn't in control of everything)

Edit: oh wait a sec is that only the drivers really? I guess the LM does all the real work.

Mitsu booster

Yeah I did read that you have an option to buy it with the soldering already done. I think "shadow24" said in the TD forum that they might be labled or color coded. If that was the case, I would want to try it later down the road.

If Brent starts to experiment with it (on his n/a engine) this spring, I hope he posts a lot about it. That would be awesome/very helpful.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    certain 199x cars are darn near impossible to do that cause the gauge cluster was driven by 2 wires from the ecu. i dont know if your car is like that though.

an older gauge cluster swap would work though a tach still might be difficult.

Brian
    I believe we get a functional tach signal from the coil ground.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

plus you can get a tach from harbor freight for 12$.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I would like to throw away everything stock that I don't need but I know it would be really difficult to get the stock cluster to work after doing that.
    If someone does that then the info should be easy to share and we could clean up our installs.
    Do you mean under hood or the whole car? Under hood is no problem at all for the generation of cars this site mainly deals with. As far as in car it is just a matter of identifying and eliminating the circuits you don't need. Nothing crazy, it would just take time to tear apart all the harnesses and take wires out.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Do you mean under hood or the whole car? Under hood is no problem at all for the generation of cars this site mainly deals with. As far as in car it is just a matter of identifying and eliminating the circuits you don't need. Nothing crazy, it would just take time to tear apart all the harnesses and take wires out.
    I did the harnesses that go to the back of the car because they are easy but the underdash is not my friend.
    I think i will jump into the wiring game soon though.

I am good about pictures so I will document things to make copying whatever I do easy.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast