Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPFI conversion planning thread

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Question MPFI conversion planning thread

So I've taken the plunge and my new 2 piece intake is on its way.

swapping over parts isnt a problem. Between all the wiring scraps & pigtails I imagine getting the wiring installed to run all the injectors and adding in the 2nd connector pickup for the HEP wont be a problem.

But what will be a problem (for me anyways), no stock computer exists for the configuration that the car is.

94 (SBEC 2 ?) 2.2 & 5speed. Now pardon the stupid questions that are about to be asked. (The whole socketing, chipping and custom calibration thing is still foreign language to me)

Could a flex fuel computer (2.5L only) be recalibrated to the fueling requirements of a 2.2L ? since its got the drivers for 4 injectors. That I would assume are not present in a TBI computer.

boostaholic

Re: MPFI conversion planning thread

you can use any 90/91/92 computer with minor pinout changes, though I think you will need at least a turbo computer to compensate for the extra injector driver even if your going to socket it. Pm Wvrampage he did a rampage once, but I think he just used a whole turbo harness and a turbo computer.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

doing this with a 94 is going to be quite a challenge. A FFV computer is more trouble than its worth since it has extra sensors to measure gas / m85 concentration and fuel adjustment for it, tho htat might be your only option. to make up for the 2.2/2.5 difference you could jsut lower your fuel pressure. I dont think D-Cal is really setup to be used with SBEC2.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    doing this with a 94 is going to be quite a challenge. A FFV computer is more trouble than its worth since it has extra sensors to measure gas / m85 concentration and fuel adjustment for it, tho htat might be your only option. to make up for the 2.2/2.5 difference you could jsut lower your fuel pressure. I dont think D-Cal is really setup to be used with SBEC2.
    Really I see no difference in sbec 1+2 my 94 sundance which I just converted to 2.5 turbo with 90/91 electronics will run on both sbec computers so really I see there is not too much of a difference, except for maybe a few pinout changes IMO.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Your going to need a harness anyhow, so I would grab an earlier harness, 90's and matching computer, it will make it alot easier I think.

What car?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I've got a '93 FFV computer from a 2.5L auto. I was hoping to do something with it that isn't going to happen. I paid $30 for it. If you want it, it is yours for $30 plus shipping. Just send a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Your going to need a harness anyhow, so I would grab an earlier harness, 90's and matching computer, it will make it alot easier I think.

What car?
    I dont know. I think it would much easier to add on the additional wiring for the extra injectors, HEP pickup. And relocate the wiring connectors for the TPS and idle speed motor to the other side of the engine.

everything else is (according to the FSM) the same layout as a regular TBI engine. The Map sensor & purge solenoid are the same between the two as well.

car is a 94 P-body

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I dont know. I think it would much easier to add on the additional wiring for the extra injectors, HEP pickup. And relocate the wiring connectors for the TPS and idle speed motor to the other side of the engine.

everything else is (according to the FSM) the same layout as a regular TBI engine. The Map sensor & purge solenoid are the same between the two as well.

car is a 94 P-body
    I think its alot more work than you think. If you picked up an earlier P body, say 90/91, then it should be mostly plug and play and you have a computer you can easily mod.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I think its alot more work than you think. If you picked up an earlier P body, say 90/91, then it should be mostly plug and play and you have a computer you can easily mod.

That would be ideal but those parts dont exactly fall out of the sky around here nor online here or elsewhere.

Guess I'll be keeping it for a conversation piece after all.

boostaholic

I completely agree, Use a 90/91 turbo harness+computer, there will be some minor pinout changes for headlights turnsignals. but at that point your halfway there you should just turbo it lol

you could jsut wire the injectors in parallel. that way you dont need to change the wiring or computer. you do need specific injectors tho and i dont remember what kind. I htink i saw it done before over on TD

edit: LINKY! http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...-w-pics-d.html
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Quote Originally Posted by jl93sundance View Post
    I completely agree, Use a 90/91 turbo harness+computer, there will be some minor pinout changes for headlights turnsignals. but at that point your halfway there you should just turbo it lol

I do not want the hassle, expense and reliability issues of a turbocharger right now. I'd just like 4 injectors vs 1

Eventually (read as: if I ever stop procrastinating ) I'd like to pickup a solid CB core and rebuild it into a nice T2. forged crank, carrillo rods, wiseco's, 4 bolt mains, ect but thats a long ways off.

I do not want the hassle, expense and reliability issues of a turbocharger right now. I'd just like 4 injectors vs 1

Eventually (read as: if I ever stop procrastinating ) I'd like to pickup a solid CB core and rebuild it into a nice T2. forged crank, carrillo rods, wiseco's, 4 bolt mains, ect but thats a long ways off.
    Reliability issues,

Anyhow, if your not in a panic, just keep looking.

Reliability issues,
    Far less overall to go wrong on a N/A engine. Now I'm not saying you cant have a reliable turbocharged engine. if its stock and meticulously maintained. But mile for mile a TBI engine will go farther and longer than its turbo cousin.

boostaholic

Far less overall to go wrong on a N/A engine. Now I'm not saying you cant have a reliable turbocharged engine. if its stock and meticulously maintained. But mile for mile a TBI engine will go farther and longer than its turbo cousin.
    That may be true to a point, but which motor will you have 10x more fun with?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

ive had 0 issues with my turbo engine. i did trash 1 clutch (cheapo replacement) and a 140k input shaft bearing on the trans but that was cause i was hammering it with 20psi all the time.

you dont need all those fancy parts in your list for a turbo engine either. stock everything and a set of pistons is good for more than the stock head can flow.

id swap in a turbo harness and ecu on the now MPFI motor and then tune the Vacuum part of the maps to get good power and mileage from your NA engine. youll have full control of timing and fuel so you should be able to tweak it alot without much hassle.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

+1 you don't need a turbo to run the turbo ECU. The ECU will just never see boost.

you dont need all those fancy parts in your list for a turbo engine either. stock everything and a set of pistons is good for more than the stock head can flow.
    I have no intentions of building a stock factory T2. Would rather overbuild it and not have to touch it again. and make future power upgrades easier.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

its already overbuilt stock. i can see the 4 bolt mains as the 2 bolt are seeming to shift a little at ~500hp. id do the k1 rods over the full on carrillo for the huge price difference vs insanely small difference in quality.

i see your point though.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Reliability issues,
    haha from the man who has one of the more impressive collection of broken stuff on the forums.

turbos are WAY less reliable and more likely to break then the tbi's, but that doesnt mean the turbo engines are unreliable at all.. it just means tbi's are insanely reliable. in my experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast