Thread: Bypassing Rampage brake proportioning valve...?

Bypassing Rampage brake proportioning valve...?

The under-bed rear brake proportioning valve in my dad's rampage is rusted to hell. He's doing all new brake lines but that under-body weight sensing proportioning valve is a lost cause. Can he just bypass it and run his new brake line direct to the rear brakes like every other car? I don't see why not, just want to make sure the brakes will still work fine under normal driving. The heaviest thing the box of this truck will ever see is his 225cc dirt bike.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Bypassing Rampage brake proportioning valve...?

its not the weight that is the problem, its the lack of weight. when the back end rises, those valves drastically reduce the braking force in the rear to prevent the wheels from locking and the truck spinning out of control.

lots of other vehicles have setups like this. my SHO had it and my geo tracker has a similar setup as well.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I see, thanks for the info. I thought they were to change braking pressure when you had a load in the box, guess I thought wrong. None of my other vehicles have ever had one of these. Maybe I'll just have to clean this one up and try it out or look around for someone parting a rampage.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Correct, its a load sensing valve, Minivans also have them, pickup trucks and many more, its to stop the rear from locking up with no weight in the back.

I would remove it but install two adjustable prop valves under the hood, then run lines straight back, that way, you can adjust it for almost no weight and then if you one day decide to haul some stuff, you can dial in more brakes.
    Wilwood sells them.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i just combined all my lines together and ran one valve for the rear brakes. its a summer only car that sees no salt and i keep a good eye on the lines. thats not a mod you want to do on a car that is driven year round where you could have a rusty line burst.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.