Thread: Input shaft

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Input shaft

Has anyone used an input shaft from a different transmission in their transmission? I have an input shaft from a A555 and I have another A555 that needs an input shaft. I am concerned about the wear on the gears being different between the 2 different trans. Let me know what you think I should do or if anyone has had an issue mixing gears like this.

Thanks,

Justin

boostaholic

Re: Input shaft

WHen you make a hybrid trans you have to swap input shafts. Just as long as the 555 are the same year range then I dont forsee a problem.

input shafts are not the same year range but they look identical except for the way 5th gear is held on. One is a clip while the other is a nut. I measured the gear sizes and spaces between the gears with a caliper and they all matched up. What is the difference between the years?

Justin

Trans that needs the input shaft is a 89, the input shaft is out of a 87. The internals look identical between the 2 except for the nut holding 5th gear on on the 89 and a clip on the other. Otherwise even the shift forks are identical. What is the difference between a 89 and 87 input shaft? can they be interchanged?

Thanks,
    Justin

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    WHen you make a hybrid trans you have to swap input shafts. Just as long as the 555 are the same year range then I dont forsee a problem.
    But you also swap the gears with it normally when doing a hybrid trans.

I agree it shouldn't be a problem so long as there isn't excessive wear on either the gears or the input shaft.

If there is excessive wear then it shouldn't be used anyway.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    Trans that needs the input shaft is a 89, the input shaft is out of a 87. The internals look identical between the 2 except for the nut holding 5th gear on on the 89 and a clip on the other. Otherwise even the shift forks are identical. What is the difference between a 89 and 87 input shaft? can they be interchanged?

Thanks,
    Justin
    There is definitely a difference on the mainshaft between the two years. I know the gears themselves are different but I think it is only where they connect to the shaft and synchros.

If the overall gear spacing between the two is the same then it should be ok. If 5th gear is different you can always swap the complete 5th gear (input and main) from the donor tranny that you got the input shaft from.

Thanks,

5th gear is different, but the 5th gear on the 87 shaft looks like it should work just fine with the 5th gear on the 89 intermediat shaft. The shaft is different in this part because the 87 has a snap ring and the 89 has a nut holding the gear on. I placed the input shaft on the intermediate shaft and gears and the gears lined right up. My calipers told me the same. If anyone knows of any reason why this will not work please let me know because I will be throwing this together in the next few days.

You can fully exchange the 5th gear on both the input shaft and main shaft so it should be fine.

Chris Ramsdell is the guy you should verify it with.

-Rich