Thread: my ford straight 6

boostaholic

my ford straight 6

plain and simple i wanna boost it... its 1/2 a diesel already i wanna make it 3/4 '

i figure if i get a set of efi exhasut manis i could run 2 mitsus and get instant boost pretty much at idle right? think they would flow good to i guess 4grand?

i kinda wanna do this really cheap or really right so cheap wins out at least on the first motor i guess...

i think the cheapest would be to run a suck thru setup i know i can get a boost ready carb tuned for me but again them things are like 600 bucks...

im shakey about the timing and timing boxes are pricey... from what i understand my good old vac advance distributor will drop timing at boost

megasquirt seems a little overwhelming to me

whatcha think? i know its been done before with very impressive results

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Re: my ford straight 6

Well, what are we working on? An old 200 with the intake cast as part of the head or a newer 300 where factory EFI parts are available? Or????

boostaholic

an 82 300

OK. I think around '85 they went EFI on those. Can't remember if it was TBI which I THINK it was or if it was MPFI. Either way, I'd think if that would be the way to go, blowthrough of course, and use a programmable efi controller.

boostaholic

so a set of manifolds and megasquirt... lol

how about my timing issue?

Remove 300. Install 460. Done. No worries about boost, timing, fuel injection, etc.

If I were set on doing what you are thinking, I'd start small, with only a couple pounds of boost and then just set the base timing real low. See how it responds. I would imagine you are going to be severely limited by your compression and cast pistons.

boostaholic

maybe i should make a custom intake... like shouldnt it have a plenum? and i guess a stupid large mustang tb.... and the person that boosted their 300 efi was running 302 injectors but is going back to the stock ones and just tuning it...

but if im running efi dont i want the efi head cuz the chambers are more suited for efi and than the carbed heads?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    Remove 300. Install 460. Done. No worries about boost, timing, fuel injection, etc.

If I were set on doing what you are thinking, I'd start small, with only a couple pounds of boost and then just set the base timing real low. See how it responds. I would imagine you are going to be severely limited by your compression and cast pistons.
    good luck finding a 460 thats worth it... our work truck has a 96 460 and htat things a pig in the mud

i thought that the 300s had about an 8:1 cr stock and were pretty much a square motor...

and the other boosted 6 i read about was running 18 psi on a stock motor... then dropped it to 10 and is still making pretty impressive power imo

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/25...300-six-4.html

That's a pretty decent setup. Why not just copy that?

boostaholic

i cant really get a clear list or set up... i think i started on the wrong page number lol

nobody knows about vac advance distributors?
    Last edited by thefitisgay; 01-26-2009 at 04:34 AM.

boostaholic

the last page 300 hp and 575 ft/lbs wow

boostaholic

thinkin about gettin rid of that 400 now?

i think im gunna need 2 garrets tho... that would be totally tits 2 t2s wih a 3 inch swingvalve on each running a 6 inch exhasut out the side....but idk the mitsus might work as a rev limiter right? lol

if only i were tall enough to reach the paper on the money tree....

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by WVRampage View Post
    the last page 300 hp and 575 ft/lbs wow
    imagine that ---- with a 6.32:1 first gear feeding a 4.10:1 rear and 31s

boostaholic

then I built the 400 there was a cast pass side manifold with the T3 flance on it that I amost got but figured it would be a bad Idea.The 400 I have runs fine for what I do but wit would be cool to have a little more out of it,but before turbo I would do some head work and some headers,Then if it still doesnt to what I want the Id turbo it.I would like to do a 300 turbo in an old 2 wheel drive truck.Or a 2.5 4x4 dakota for dirt drags.

boostaholic

i did the math... figure like 250 for an intake maybe 400 for a carb and 150 for headers? you could spend about the same to get a fairly safe and reliable turbo set up figure like 270 for a spark box how much is megasquirt? like say 300... 100 for manis and gaskets electric fuel pump from junkyard... i have the turbos and a huge IC... the way i see it thats a whole hell of a lot of motor for a projected $1000

i think at least... im not sure but i think the compression ratios are about 8:1 gotta be careful with the hyper pathetic pistons tho...

boostaholic

like they say, triple the estimated cost of a project and that'll be what it ends up costing you. Little things add up, real quick.

boostaholic

yea thats why im trying to acquire all the peices and throw it all on at once ... might take a few years...