Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: l body smec conversion

turbo addict

l body smec conversion

ok i have a dash harness out of a 88 horizon and a engine harness out of a 89 turbo voyager and im putting them into a 86 s/c. so do i have the right parts to do this swap? what little things do i need to know to get this thing in and running properly and and tips to make this go easier would be apreciated.

Garrett booster

Re: l body smec conversion

I think you are going to have your work cut out for you if you want to "do it right" and make it look good. Your best bet is going to be having all three wiring diagrams and both harnesses in front of you. You can study the wiring harnesses and follow any changes you need to make before you even put them in the car.

The only really tough issue you may have would be if the Charger LM harness is integrated into the dash harness...I'm not sure if it is or not. I guess you could just leave all the extra wiring buried in the dash if you don't really care.

If you need any/all of those diagrams, let me know. Shoot me a PM with your email address if you'd like me to email them to you. I'd be willing to look over the diagrams and try to give you any advice if you are interested.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by g0bbledeeg00k View Post
    I think you are going to have your work cut out for you if you want to "do it right" and make it look good. Your best bet is going to be having all three wiring diagrams and both harnesses in front of you. You can study the wiring harnesses and follow any changes you need to make before you even put them in the car.

The only really tough issue you may have would be if the Charger LM harness is integrated into the dash harness...I'm not sure if it is or not. I guess you could just leave all the extra wiring buried in the dash if you don't really care.

If you need any/all of those diagrams, let me know. Shoot me a PM with your email address if you'd like me to email them to you. I'd be willing to look over the diagrams and try to give you any advice if you are interested.
    im already replacing the dash harness so all the old stuff will be torn out and will have to weld the hole from the lm through the fire wall shut. my biggest concern is all the extra crap on the voyeger engine harness that is extra like dual fans cruise and things like that. and yes i would like any help with diagrams anyone can give. and i know its alot of work its a turbo doge its never ending work but im laid of currently so time is on my side at the moment.

Hybrid booster

I didn't swap the dash harness on mine. I just re pinned it at the firewall harness. Only needed 2 WDs!

oh and you included welding up the hole with replacing the dash harness. None of the dash stuff comes through that hole, just the ECM stuff. So if that's the reason you're pulling the dash, you don't have to

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    im already replacing the dash harness so all the old stuff will be torn out and will have to weld the hole from the lm through the fire wall shut. my biggest concern is all the extra crap on the voyeger engine harness that is extra like dual fans cruise and things like that. and yes i would like any help with diagrams anyone can give. and i know its alot of work its a turbo doge its never ending work but im laid of currently so time is on my side at the moment.
    Instead of welding the hole, I got a piece of stainless steel (or any metal that isn't prone to rusting) and placed it over the hole and bolted it in place. Just made the cover about .25-.5 inches larger than the original factory hole and used 4 or 6 bolts to hold it in place. I also added a gasket to it to keep it sealed. The SMEC to 40 pin swap on the bulk connector isn't that hard either. Like guy said, you need to have both diagrams in front of you. If you want, I can get the pin outs from mine and let you know the color of the wires as I pinned them in the 40-way connector. I've got mine routed a little different as I have a fuse block now instead of the fusable links, but overall you'd get the idea.

Let me know if you need any help.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

ok i have a dash harness out of a 88 horizon and a engine harness out of a 89 turbo voyager and im putting them into a 86 s/c. so do i have the right parts to do this swap? what little things do i need to know to get this thing in and running properly and and tips to make this go easier would be apreciated.

Just delete the wiring for the condenser fan as well as the A/C wiring and relays unless you're using air. Everything else you will use. That's all you need to do.

Keep in mind that since your putting this into a 2-door L, you need to wire in the rear speakers since the 88 Horizon didn't have them.

Been there, done that, X3!

turbo addict

thanks for all the input its a big help i figured i could just cut out the wires i dont need and things like that and did not even think about the rear speakers but now that i know about them also. thanks for the diagrams thats a huge help. how much of re sizing did use have to do using the different harness to make everything fit right and what kind of guage cluster can i use since the engine harness has a speed distance sensor instead of a cable

Garrett booster

I've been going over the wiring diagrams I sent you. What SMEC are you using? There are some differences I can point out, but I need to know what year and vehicle your SMEC came from.

turbo addict

I've been going over the wiring diagrams I sent you. What SMEC are you using? There are some differences I can point out, but I need to know what year and vehicle your SMEC came from.
    the van engine harness is out of a 89 and the omni dash harness is an 88

Garrett booster

Cool. Those are the diagrams I already have out. But what year/vehcile is the SMEC out of? Is the SMEC from the 88 Horizon, the 89 voyager, or something else entirely?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cool. Those are the diagrams I already have out. But what year/vehcile is the SMEC out of? Is the SMEC from the 88 Horizon, the 89 voyager, or something else entirely?

he said hes installing an 89 TURBO minvan harness...so the SMEC he will be running will be an 88 or 89 turbo SMEC

the only difference other then calibrations, is that the TII computers will be setup to run the CAT sensor (charge air temp). Also 88 had 3 wire, 89 was 4 wire o2 sensor (extra ground)

I guess thats another thing that wasnt mentioned here, make that T1 voyager harness TII by adding the CAT pin...I cant remember off hand but pin #21 I believe, Youll have to drill out the plastic in the 60 pin connector too. just ground the other wire to the car or wiring harness.

good luck!

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

I see your car is an 86 s/c so its already fuel injected...why not just wire the mini harness to the 40 way bulkhead already on the car? I opted for that route.

I thought I read that the omni TBI harness pretty much bolted up to the mini harness??? do they not have the same bulkhead?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    he said hes installing an 89 TURBO minvan harness...so the SMEC he will be running will be an 88 or 89 turbo SMEC

the only difference other then calibrations, is that the TII computers will be setup to run the CAT sensor (charge air temp). Also 88 had 3 wire, 89 was 4 wire o2 sensor (extra ground)

I guess thats another thing that wasnt mentioned here, make that T1 voyager harness TII by adding the CAT pin...I cant remember off hand but pin #21 I believe, Youll have to drill out the plastic in the 60 pin connector too. just ground the other wire to the car or wiring harness.

good luck!
    what he said about the smec and i know i will have to add the cat to be t2 but want to get it running t1 and then go to t2 once all the bugs are sorted out and the 88 89 omni harnes and the van harness do plug right together that is why im using them since this seems to be the way to go. just trying to figure out what else needs changed on the harness's to make this go smooth. and yes i thought about re wiring but why when i can do half that cutting and soldering and still achive the same thing. i guess its just personal prefrence why i went this route that and the fact that i payed 10 dollars a piece for each harness. and for another question i have been told there is something different in the wiring for the wiper motor is this true?

Garrett booster

From what I am seeing, you will still have to rewire things. Just because they plug together doesn't mean the pins in the '88 harness go to the same places as the '89 harness. One small problem I have is the lack of a pin-out diagram for the '88 and '89 bulkhead connectors. Some of the bulkhead pins are labeled in the diagrams but not all of them. I have a pin-out for the '86 L-body...but that's not a lot of help in your situation.

Here's what I have so far:

-Pin C at the cluster on the '88 dash harness (gray/lt blue wire) needs to go to pin 60 on the Turbo SMEC for the factory tach to work. On the diagram, it shows that wire going to pin 50 on the '88 Horizon SMEC. You may have to move that pin in the bulkhead connector.

-Wiper control: Intermittent Wiper Control Unit (IWCU) pin 3 (brown wire) looks like it goes to pin 12 in the steering column and also to pin 45 on the '88 bulkhead connector. It looks to me like IWCU pin 3 (brown wire) needs to go to pin 12 in the steering column and also to pin 2 in '89 bulkhead.

-Difference in gorunds: '89 IWCU pin 4 (black/lt green) goes to Seat Belt Warning system for ground while '88 IWCU pin 4 seems to go straight to ground. '89 Voyager harness has provision for a low washer fluid level sensor which gets ground off the washer motor ground and the Horizon doesn't use that wire. '89 Voyager washer motor grounds through left front lights while '88 Horizon shows straight to ground.

-Auto trans vs. manual trans: the auto trans neutral safety/reverse light switch has a 3-wire connector while the manual trans only has a 2-wire connector. You will have to ground the brown/yellow wire (comes from ECM pin 30 and starter relay). The white wire and violet/black wires will be connected to the reverse light switch.

I don't know if the difference in grounds I mentioned will make a lot of difference as long as the circuits are getting a good ground. I just wanted to mention the differences for good measure. Also, since I have never attempted to do the LM/PM to SMEC conversion myself, I am going strictly off the wiring diagrams. There are lots of people on these forums that probably know better/more since they have actually done the conversion. I hope the information I have given you so far has been helpful. I will keep looking at stuff and see what else I can come up with. If you have any specific questions, shoot me an email or PM (i'll check back here often too though)

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    Thanks, I missed the all important word "TURBO" in that first post.

turbo addict

Almoxt forgot!

You'll need to swap the pins on the engine bay harness for the winshield wiper contol.

g0bbledeeg00k your within range! Check us out www.sv-td.com

T

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
    Almoxt forgot!

You'll need to swap the pins on the engine bay harness for the winshield wiper contol.

g0bbledeeg00k your within range! Check us out www.sv-td.com

T
    ok did you have to switch the other wires that g0bbledeeg00k is telling me about?

turbo addict

ok did you have to switch the other wires that g0bbledeeg00k is telling me about?

No the tach will be fine. He is correct about the starter harness concerning the neutral safety switch. Obviously the wire that goes to the switch need to be grounded so that it will start. All of that can be done on the starter harness alone...

The only wires (pins) that need to be relocated are for the wiper controls on the engine bay bulkhead connector....

turbo addict

From what I am seeing, you will still have to rewire things. Just because they plug together doesn't mean the pins in the '88 harness go to the same places as the '89 harness. One small problem I have is the lack of a pin-out diagram for the '88 and '89 bulkhead connectors. Some of the bulkhead pins are labeled in the diagrams but not all of them. I have a pin-out for the '86 L-body...but that's not a lot of help in your situation.

Here's what I have so far:

-Pin C at the cluster on the '88 dash harness (gray/lt blue wire) needs to go to pin 60 on the Turbo SMEC for the factory tach to work. On the diagram, it shows that wire going to pin 50 on the '88 Horizon SMEC. You may have to move that pin in the bulkhead connector.

-Wiper control: Intermittent Wiper Control Unit (IWCU) pin 3 (brown wire) looks like it goes to pin 12 in the steering column and also to pin 45 on the '88 bulkhead connector. It looks to me like IWCU pin 3 (brown wire) needs to go to pin 12 in the steering column and also to pin 2 in '89 bulkhead.

-Difference in gorunds: '89 IWCU pin 4 (black/lt green) goes to Seat Belt Warning system for ground while '88 IWCU pin 4 seems to go straight to ground. '89 Voyager harness has provision for a low washer fluid level sensor which gets ground off the washer motor ground and the Horizon doesn't use that wire. '89 Voyager washer motor grounds through left front lights while '88 Horizon shows straight to ground.

-Auto trans vs. manual trans: the auto trans neutral safety/reverse light switch has a 3-wire connector while the manual trans only has a 2-wire connector. You will have to ground the brown/yellow wire (comes from ECM pin 30 and starter relay). The white wire and violet/black wires will be connected to the reverse light switch.

I don't know if the difference in grounds I mentioned will make a lot of difference as long as the circuits are getting a good ground. I just wanted to mention the differences for good measure. Also, since I have never attempted to do the LM/PM to SMEC conversion myself, I am going strictly off the wiring diagrams. There are lots of people on these forums that probably know better/more since they have actually done the conversion. I hope the information I have given you so far has been helpful. I will keep looking at stuff and see what else I can come up with. If you have any specific questions, shoot me an email or PM (i'll check back here often too though)
    wow thats alot of good information for me to have. as for the bulkhead pinouts i think i can get that on the old school hot rodder site if i remeber corectly. the wiper control i will have to look into as i have heard this was something i needed to address sometime before. as for the seat belt warning system if i can get rid of it all together then i will since i will be using race seats sometime anyways so there will be no use for that circuit. and the neutral saftey switch i knew would be a problem also but i have seen this jumped on a prior omni i owned. it was just jumped if i recall and you could start it in gear but reverse was fine so we will see what i can do i guess. another thing i will have to figure out is that the headlight connectors do not seem to all be the same so there might be splicing there alsobut im just going to have to lay both harness's out and have the diagrams there and cut and solder it all together.i will probably start this on some of the warmer days seeing as the car is not in the garage so warm days will be the ones i work on. i have never done this swap either so its going to be a good learning experience and wiring is my weakness so im going to just have to take a stab at it. i have learned over the years that learning costs alot of money and tries but i got it running before when i bought it barely running and squirting fluids everywhere so it will run again i am determined thanks alot for all the help

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
    No the tach will be fine. He is correct about the starter harness concerning the neutral safety switch. Obviously the wire that goes to the switch need to be grounded so that it will start. All of that can be done on the starter harness alone...

The only wires (pins) that need to be relocated are for the wiper controls on the engine bay bulkhead connector....
    wow its seeming easier than i thought dont get me thinking its that easy and get my hopes up nowi am assuming that its not going to run the first time but that the trouble shooting will not be that much of a hassle.

as for the speed distance sensor will that throw me into limp mode if i would still use a cable for the time being or should i go ahead and go to the digi dash conversion awhile?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast