Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OMNI's upcoming engine rebuild

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

OMNI's upcoming engine rebuild

I'm freshening up the motor in the OMNI after many years of abuse. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do on a few things.....

Rods:
    Currently it has stock TII rods that have been beam polished and shot peened and ARP Wav-Loc's installed. They seem to be working fine. I'm leaning towards just using them some more.

I have had in storage for quit some time now a set of GRP aluminum rods. They are really f'n sweet. I haven't heard anyone having any major problems out of them, but I worry about stretch/shrinkage or longevity. They may be fine and help me pick up a little top end HP.

I also thought about some slightly lighter Eagle rods or some sort of H-beams.

Crank:
    Currently is has a bone stock 2.5L crank that has been balanced with the flywheel. It has been fine this long, and I'm leaning on using it again.

I have had in storage for quit some time now a stock 2.5L crank that has been *slightly* knife edged on the leading edges of the counter weights and slightly *smoothed* and then balanced with a fresh flywheel. May pick up a little HP?

Mains:
    Currently has stock 2 bolts.

Thinking about adding the 4 bolts to the old block.

Flywheel:
    Currently has a stock flywheel that was balanced with the crank.

I have had in storage for quit some time now a Fidanza aluminum flywheel.
    I planned on using it last year as an experiment, but never got around to it. I was hoping to kill some of my launch torque and pick up some HP on the big end. I plan on going with a 3.05 FD this year, and think the aluminum flywheel will now be overkill.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: OMNI's upcoming engine rebuild

I don't trust aluminum rods anymore.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I don't trust aluminum rods anymore.
    Reason?

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

I've had two friends have catostrphic engine failures due to aluminum rod failure. They have a finite lifespan. One was Brian Slowe. The other was my friend Doug who's '58 Vette ended up on it's roof when his rods failed.
    Last edited by contraption22; 01-23-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Go with the Eagles or TU rods, agreed don't use the aluminium rods, not intended for daily use.

I would use the knife edge crank.

I would talk to Aaron about the 4 bolt mains, probably not a bad idea but if your bearings etc look good now, maybe its not needed?

I wouldn't use the lightened flywheel, I bet it will be harder to launch as you'll need to launch on higher rpm to avoid it bogging. Maybe the turbo helps offset that???
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Hard to change something that's not broke! Your combo seems to be working well for you, I can understand not wanting to change.....too much. Interesting that Rob had such good luck with his aluminum rod 2.4. I was also going to run aluminum rods, but I've since turned away from them. The Charger is always going to be 90% street car/ 10% race car, so unless that were to change I'm sticking with steel. I'd throw in that knife edged crank (can't hurt) I've deff been doing the 4 bolt main debate. Deff going to build a mtr with those one day. Really interested to see how 3.05's work out for you. I almooosssst ran an aluminum flywheel last year. Was a toss up between an al flywheel and see if I could still run the 24's or just bolt on the 26's. You can guess who won that contest. I'm still very interested to see how one of our high HP cars would react to a really good twin disc/al flywheel (super light weight) set-up. Going to have to check that out some day as well. I would deff concider a really good set of (lighter than stock) forged steel rods. I know it seems like a waste when your not having problems with the stockers, but really, how much more can these rods take! BTW what are your goals for the new mtr? Running around the same HP/TQ (give or take 10) or uping the power 20-50 HP/TQ? That would answer wether I'd change up the rods or not.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

If you put the Aluminum rods in there will we not be able to go for little rides on the street anymore? If so, I'd so NEVER put those rods in there

As far as the Fidanza, I'd like to see how it works for you, if you like it you would be the first guy with a 400+WHP car that did that I know of. I've got no love for those things for a high HP car anymore If you don't like the way it works, then it would be a unanimous vote and I'll swear to the ends of the earth to anyone who asks that they are only good for mild/mid HP cars.

As far as the 4 bolts go, what do the main bearings look like? Are they wearing nicely or chewing up the #3? Last tear down I did the mains looked so good after 6K miles I just left them and did only the rods. Have the crank shop check it for strait, less then .001-.002 it's doing fine IMO...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Aluninum rods have stretching issues in a 1400hp alcohol pro mod motor... not in a 500hp 4 banger?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Aluninum rods have stretching issues in a 1400hp alcohol pro mod motor... not in a 500hp 4 banger?
    Whats "aluninum"?

I still don't believe aluminum rods should be in a street engine.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Sorry, I kant tyep or speel...

I'll let you know how they do

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Sorry, I kant tyep or speel...

I'll let you know how they do
    Hahhaa, just buggin,

My, my, you like to ventilate blocks, don't you?

Hybrid booster

At the very minimum I would replace the connecting rods with a refurbished set like you are currently running because the rods in your engine have a bunch of really hard work cycles on them

If its a race car that gets a few bursts on the street the aluminum rods are fine but if it see's a bit of street driving I'd get a nice set of steel rods. Top fuel engines use aluminum rods......they are very strong and tend to dampen the shock load on the crank,bearings and main webbing. They need to be serviced more than steel rods obviously. If you don't service them.....they'll come out on their own

The worked over crank sounds good as long as the work was done well.

Are you getting cap walk now?

I loved my aluminum flywheel. It was one of my favorite things I ever did with my car. Especially with Reeves having a stutter funciton on the launch. Just make it more agressive and you shouldn't have a problem in the world.

Keep in mind Alan that you not only dropped massive weight from the flywheel, but the clutch as well, and moved the mass in closer to the center with the smaller discs. That's a major difference to a heavy single plate setup. You got the double whammy effect!

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

And Reeves 2.5 makes WAY more torque than the chassis can handle currently.... For Rods, I would go with the K1's... H beam 100 grams lighter than stock...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    I loved my aluminum flywheel. It was one of my favorite things I ever did with my car. Especially with Reeves having a stutter funciton on the launch. Just make it more agressive and you shouldn't have a problem in the world.

Keep in mind Alan that you not only dropped massive weight from the flywheel, but the clutch as well, and moved the mass in closer to the center with the smaller discs. That's a major difference to a heavy single plate setup. You got the double whammy effect!
    That Tilton set up is using a Steel flywheel and becuse I knew the weight was gonna drop a bunch with the teeny little Tilton, I asked them to make that flywheel 'as heavy as he could'. He did and even added an 'inertia ring' to the outside edge of the back. Still the entire set up lost 9lbs over an iron/4puck/yellow plate set up. What I *really* hated was the Aluminum/RevLock it replaced. Get this, a local guy had slippage with his 4 puck/Fidanza Aluminum set up on his very well built 2.5/GT30 8V motor. He pullled the flywheel out, bead blasted the pp/disc, reinstalled with an Iron flywheel and it's never slipped again.

The K1 rods do make the motor very zippy And they have survived dozens of miles/laps at 7800 RPMS

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post

The K1 rods do make the motor very zippy And they have survived dozens of miles/laps at 7800 RPMS
    Oh great, if K1 rods make the motor zippy I only fear what Ti rods are gonna do...... Gonna be wacking the rev limiter a lot I fear.

turbo addict

Tell that to Brian Slowe

turbo addict

With most of us having staging limiters (Brian Bucar and I talked about this very thing many months ago) what is the downside to launching with an aluminum flywheel?...if it bogs just step up the RPM some. I could see if someone actually had too big of a slick under the car because you need that momentum...but I really fail to see the downfall anymore.

This thread is going no where fast!

About the only thing we have agreed on is using the knife edged crank....

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    This thread is going no where fast!

About the only thing we have agreed on is using the knife edged crank....
    And not using aluminum rods......
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast