Thread: People with high rpm 2.2's: Crankshaft dampner.

Mitsu booster

People with high rpm 2.2's: Crankshaft dampner.

Hey,

I am looking for some serious advice and experience regarding harmonic dampners for the 2.2. I am building a NA 2.2 for the GLH and has everything lightened internally (crank, rods, pistons, flywheel). It was brought to my attention that at high rpms (7000+), because of the reduced weight, a harmonic balancer on the end of the crank will benefit and reduce high rpm vibrations/reverberations, etc. I have an underdrive pulley (quite small compared to stock pulley) and this apparently increases the vibration problem. I am aiming for 200whp and higher RPM's .. (course use) .. what are your thoughts and experience on this?

Thank you for taking the time,
    Francis G.

turbo addict

Re: People with high rpm 2.2's: Crankshaft dampner.

When everything was lightened internally it was also spin balanced correct? Our engines are internally balanced from the factory although not to the degree that you are looking for.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: People with high rpm 2.2's: Crankshaft dampner.

Dampers are used to reduce torsional vibrations. Which, generally, are not a problem for a flat-plane crank. Chrysler did add one to the 2.4, but it was really for harshness reasons, not durability.

V8's (and V6's) use dampers because the crank resembles a twisted noodle with it's 90 deg (or 60deg) throws. Torsional vibrations can be a problem with those crank configurations.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki