Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: odd problem with A413 - no reverse

Garrett booster

odd problem with A413 - no reverse

Hey guys,
    Wednesday night the oddest thing happened all of sudden. I lost reverse and it sometimes does not want start off from first gear in the Drive position. However, if I put the shifter into 1st manually it works just fine. I am guessing this may be a cable or linkage problem. Anyone concur with that? Or does it sound like it is going out?

Thanks,
    Mike
    1986 Daytona Turbo Z CS - almost back together again 2012 - Ram 1500 - 5.7L Hemi

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Re: odd problem with A413 - no reverse

Check fluid level... I had a car that did not want to downshift and had to manually put it in 1st each time. Has something to do with a sticking weight?? From about 5 mph everyone said put it in park... let it rattle it loose.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLightning86
    Hey guys,
    Wednesday night the oddest thing happened all of sudden. I lost reverse and it sometimes does not want start off from first gear in the Drive position. However, if I put the shifter into 1st manually it works just fine. I am guessing this may be a cable or linkage problem. Anyone concur with that? Or does it sound like it is going out?

Thanks,
    Mike
    You've probably lost the low/reverse band either it broke or it is just worn out.Either way it time to pull the trans.

Garrett booster

It downshifts fine. It starts off in first gear just fine. It just does not want to fully engage in reverse or fully engage in first when the gear selector is in the D position. Whe I move it down to 1, no problem. Plus, it has had some issue moving the selector from Reverse to Park and feels more like a cable problem as if the cable is stretching or is stretched.
    1986 Daytona Turbo Z CS - almost back together again 2012 - Ram 1500 - 5.7L Hemi

Garrett booster

I seemed to have fixed the problem. Dropped the pan, changed the fluid and filter and adjusted the Low-Reverse band. Works like a charm now.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

89Shelby2.4 hit the nail on the head. Sorry a bit late but a loose band or broken band, bent strut will give you the problem you had. My old trans, the stock strut was bent in half and this almost caused the apply piston to come out of its hole, I will post the pics one day.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Just digging up an old thread - the same thing has apparently happened to my race trans. No reverse. All forward gears are fine, plus P-N. But, not reverse. I loaned the car to my brother in law this weekend to race at Indy (I couldn't make it - family stuff). He called this morning to tell me there was no reverse, but the car still ET's and MPH's about the same as when I run it. Fluid levels are good, trans pressure is ~120psi (I checked 2 weeks ago). Trans was new, has 30 passes on it, no street time, basic rebuild, Turbo Action RMVB, Dynamic 3K stall converter.

Can anything fail that would affect reverse ONLY?
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Yeah, the servo piston for the front band. For some reason, I kept breaking them last year until I had a billet one made.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

rear band strut is known to fail

Simon - why does the front servo piston break? I mean, I rarely even use reverse.

The rear strut band is pretty simple to replace, right?

Either of those failures would have no other symptons?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Simon - why does the front servo piston break? I mean, I rarely even use reverse.

The rear strut band is pretty simple to replace, right?

Either of those failures would have no other symptons?
    It breaks due to high line pressure. It was weird, my first trans was fine, then the 2nd one I built kept breaking them???????????? I would put it into reverse and hear a POP, then no reverse. It drive fine in D but obviously no band engagement so first gear isn't as strong.
    I had the billet one made and it was much better but then I blew the seal out a few times, I was going to have it resdesigned to use a scarf seal/square seal but I backed off the line pressure one turn and it hasn't done it since, KNOCK on wood.
    Yeah, it could be the rear band strut but my money is on the servo. I had it down to 15 min change out due to a reusable pan gasket and I had a drain plug also,

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    It breaks due to high line pressure. It was weird, my first trans was fine, then the 2nd one I built kept breaking them???????????? I would put it into reverse and hear a POP, then no reverse. It drive fine in D but obviously no band engagement so first gear isn't as strong.
    I had the billet one made and it was much better but then I blew the seal out a few times, I was going to have it resdesigned to use a scarf seal/square seal but I backed off the line pressure one turn and it hasn't done it since, KNOCK on wood.
    Yeah, it could be the rear band strut but my money is on the servo. I had it down to 15 min change out due to a reusable pan gasket and I had a drain plug also,
    Well, I won't know until he brings it back. But, 1st still seems strong. The car has always pulled 1.90 60' times - still does. He didn't mention a POP.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Is this the part I need? I hope so, I just bought 2 of them...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Thats the band strut so yeah, thats for the rear but you still need the servo piston if its broken.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Is this the part I need? I hope so, I just bought 2 of them...

yeah thats the upgraded one(sonnax), glad you didnt get another stocker or I've seen that same $7 sonnax one for $32 on some trans builder's site.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

isnt the line pressure ridiculous in reverse when you crank it up to have decent in forward gears... something like 400psi at times. Torqueflite (i think thats his username.. or torqueflight or something like that) posted a fix to get high line pressure in the forwards gears that leaves the reverse pressure lower so this doesnt happen.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

yeah but the cheetah and stock vb only go to 120psi or so and although its high in reverse doesnt cause many probs(unless you ask simon). Normally its only when you go past that w/ a different spring that it becomes a prob.

I have a rmvb from Chad, it has a bleed in it. When I 1st installed it the line pressure was @150 psi and when reved up to 2000rpms it jumped to 170psi, I did drive it like that for a quick spell when I was making sure the trans worked(1st time building), checked it and turned it down to 150psi when reved.

OH and his VB is top notch along w/ the trans brake(dont have but heard about it). Has no flare what so ever 2-3 and soft downshift to engine braking in 1st(can disable also). As high of line pressure as the trans could ever take. Also he can do lock up manual vb's but not w/ trans brake
    Last edited by Speedeuphoria; 07-22-2007 at 01:26 AM.

^^^^^^^^Thanks,

Is there any chance that this is strictly in the TA valve body? Sticky valve or something?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

doubt it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast