Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How easy to turbo a 'regular' PT?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

How easy to turbo a 'regular' PT?

How easy would it be to turbo a 'regular' PT Cruiser? The employee lease plan here at work is taking a turn for the worse and I think I'd rather buy a PT Turbo when my current lease is up. But, PT Turbos are harder to find - especially in black (which is what I want). But, I can find regular black PT's all day long for really decent prices. So, how hard would it be to add the turbo down the road? About the same as turboing an '01+ Neon? Any websites for guys who've done it?

Oh, and I'd keep the 4-speed auto...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Re: How easy to turbo a 'regular' PT?

Shel,

I've been looking at GT Cruisers and PT Cruisers with the 2.4 turbo. As they are Mopar cars they have no resale and can be bought very reasonably. Be sure to get the High Output FMIC model.

Having said all of that, IMO to turbo an NA PT would be very expensive and labor intensive only to have still some glitches in the tune. Especially if you expect it to haul ---.

I have seen post around on the conversion but no single source that I can recall.

Exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, turbofold, IC, ecu/standalone/diablo, intake, SRT4 internals, on and on..............like you said just like doing a base model Neon.

FYI,
    Marion

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i can see being picky about the color, but PT GT are cheaper than used srt-4 and generally in much better shape.. id buy a factory one!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hahn Racecraft used to sell a kit but not anymore, might see one pop up on ebay or the PT forums every once in a while. That would be the easiest way. Next would be a swap from a wrecked PT turbo but you would need pretty much everything from the firewall forward under the hood. Depending on what year you get the trans and engine ECU's are two seperate units.

I would hold out for a PTGT IMO, they can be had for cheap if you are patient. I picked mine up for $6k with 70k miles. Now if you hold out for a PTGT and want to mod it the 04-05 is the best because just like the SRT-4's, those years came with the Stage 1 injectors already in them.

Oh, ALL turbo PT's came intercooled. Even the 180hp turbo lite's. The difference is the tune allowing them to run on low octane gas.
    85 LeBaron GTS 03 PT Cruiser GT

From what I've seen, PT GT's around here are still going for $8-10k. Only slightly less than the SRT4's. But, I have to assume they are not beat on as much as the SRT's. I'd like to find one with 50k on it or less as I drive about 15k/year and don't want it to be all worn out in just 2 years.

I would definitely use the factory parts. But, it won't stay stock for long. That's one of the reasons I was thinking of building it up from an NA PT. Also, I had thought about maybe using the 420a head and mexican Stratus manifold to put the turbo up front.

NA Pt's seem to be going for 3-4k less than the GT's. I'm guessing I can do the conversion for less than 3k. But then, the GT's come with a lot of nice features. Oh well, I have several months to figure out what I want to do.

Oh yeah, did any of the special editions (Dream Cruiser, etc.)come in GT form? I also really like the Copper color dream cruiser...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    From what I've seen, PT GT's around here are still going for $8-10k. Only slightly less than the SRT4's. But, I have to assume they are not beat on as much as the SRT's. I'd like to find one with 50k on it or less as I drive about 15k/year and don't want it to be all worn out in just 2 years.

I would definitely use the factory parts. But, it won't stay stock for long. That's one of the reasons I was thinking of building it up from an NA PT. Also, I had thought about maybe using the 420a head and mexican Stratus manifold to put the turbo up front.

NA Pt's seem to be going for 3-4k less than the GT's. I'm guessing I can do the conversion for less than 3k. But then, the GT's come with a lot of nice features. Oh well, I have several months to figure out what I want to do.

Oh yeah, did any of the special editions (Dream Cruiser, etc.)come in GT form? I also really like the Copper color dream cruiser...

There are turbo Dream Cruisers, I just don't know which years. My best guess would be '03+ like the regular turbo PT's.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Did the auto's come with a turbo???

I haven't worked on one so just talking out loud but I can't see it costing that much or it being that hard to turbo one, like turboing a Neon. Find the turbo manifold, fab up your own IC and pipes, use a tuner to download the turbo cal, etc. He could probably find the parts on Ebay or ? for under a grand.

I honestly can't see it being that hard!!!!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

From what I've seen, PT GT's around here are still going for $8-10k. ....
    Not around here... some can be had for $5k-$6k

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCSX View Post
    Hahn Racecraft used to sell a kit but not anymore, might see one pop up on ebay or the PT forums every once in a while. That would be the easiest way. Next would be a swap from a wrecked PT turbo but you would need pretty much everything from the firewall forward under the hood. Depending on what year you get the trans and engine ECU's are two seperate units.

I would hold out for a PTGT IMO, they can be had for cheap if you are patient. I picked mine up for $6k with 70k miles. Now if you hold out for a PTGT and want to mod it the 04-05 is the best because just like the SRT-4's, those years came with the Stage 1 injectors already in them.

Oh, ALL turbo PT's came intercooled. Even the 180hp turbo lite's. The difference is the tune allowing them to run on low octane gas.
    Are you certain about the fmic? I'm almost the certain one does and one does not. 180 hp and 225 hp models. I've looked them over myself.

Marion

Ahh, here's the one I want. Too bad my current lease isn't up for 8 months...

Tangerine Dream Cruiser
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Ahh, here's the one I want. Too bad my current lease isn't up for 8 months...

Tangerine Dream Cruiser

I like those colours,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Did the auto's come with a turbo???

I haven't worked on one so just talking out loud but I can't see it costing that much or it being that hard to turbo one, like turboing a Neon. Find the turbo manifold, fab up your own IC and pipes, use a tuner to download the turbo cal, etc. He could probably find the parts on Ebay or ? for under a grand.

I honestly can't see it being that hard!!!!
    Yes, the turbo models came with autos. Mine is a turbo/auto with the autostick feature.

Quote Originally Posted by mario03SRT View Post
    Are you certain about the fmic? I'm almost the certain one does and one does not. 180 hp and 225 hp models. I've looked them over myself.

Marion

Yup 180hp versions got the FMIC. Cool thing is if you put a stage 1 in the 180hp version or a GT you can't tell the difference because it bumps them both to the same power output. I think Dodge should have offered the 180hp version in Neons too.....

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

do it like SebringLX did it. using the SCT flash stuff so the ecu is still OBD-2 compliant and fully turbo ready. that takes alot of the annoyance out of it. the 4-speed is still controlled by the ecu too.

youd need a 03+ vehicle though.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

I had an 03 pt gt automatic w/ full 3" catless exhaust, K&N cone filter, and mopar stage 1 computer/injectors. It had tons of power, biggest problem was the computer control of the transmission. Even with the car in 1st gear w/ autostick and the traction control turned off it wouldn't let the motor rev higher than 5900 rpm, if the wheels spun, which they did in first every time, it would shift early, usually between 4500-5000 rpm. Eventually I got frustrated with it, put it back to stock, and sold it. If I would have had a stick shift I'd prolly still have it, cause other than the trans. I loved the car.

Hybrid booster

I should think that the trans is stronger/different in the turbo version, so it's not just a matter of thinking about turbo-ing the n/a engine, it's the rest of the drivetrain too.

Well, the 4-speed would get fully built if I did the turbo conversion...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Well, the 4-speed would get fully built if I did the turbo conversion...
    it still wouldnt shift all that firmly with the factory programming but i think you know that.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by neongary View Post
    I should think that the trans is stronger/different in the turbo version, so it's not just a matter of thinking about turbo-ing the n/a engine, it's the rest of the drivetrain too.
    Same transmission. Just checked p/n's.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    Same transmission. Just checked p/n's.
    I'm really surprised. Guess the N/A isn't going to hurt them anytime soon! I know for sure that the 5 spd versions were different.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Look me up when you;re ready to get something. I can get N/As all day long and I've spotted a few GTs from the local dealer auctions.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast