Thread: Need to know proper voltages to Auto shutdown relay

Garrett booster

Exclamation Need to know proper voltages to Auto shutdown relay

I am finishing a turbo conversion project and need to get the fuel pump running on factory electronics/wiring. I'm using '88 Daytona Pacifica wiring and electronics. With a seperate, independent circuit setup, the fuel pump does run properly. I want to use the factory circuit.

Turning the key to the "ON" position does not activate the auto shutdown realy and therefore does not prime the injectors. Using a Power Probe, I can apply ground and 12 volts to the proper pins on the relay and it will "click." With power and ground applied, I used my multimeter to check for continuity across the other two pins and found good continuity. Therefore, the relay is working just fine.

With the relay back in the car, turning the key to the "ON" position does not activate the relay. I can only assume the problem is between the ECM and the relay connector. I need to know what voltages (and for how long...since I realize the prime only happens for a few seconds) I should be getting through the harness with the key on.

On the connector side:
    -RED wire has 12 volts
    -GREEN w/ BLACK stripe has nothing
    -DARK BLUE w/ YELLOW stripe has 5 volts
    -DARK BLUE has ground

Here's the wiring diagram for reference:

Re: Need to know proper voltages to Auto shutdown relay

Bump, having similar problem

Garrett booster

Well, I had a broken wire going to the auto shutdown relay. The copper was broken inside but the outer layer was still intact. Once I unbolted the relay from the inner fender, I found that moving it around, i.e. bending and twisting the wire harness, with the key on made the relay click on and off. I pulled the relay and activated the power circuit with my Power Probe and checked the continuity through the relay with my multimeter. I have a good relay so I knew it was the wiring. Replaced the culprit wire, rewrapped and wire loomed the harness and all is well.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

For future reference, the proper voltage is battery voltage,

A relay is simple, you have your B+ source-battery, that will be switched to the part of choice, one other wire will go to your device, one is a ground which can be the trigger or the other one is to switched power, which can also be the trigger. I have the numbers of the terminals written down but can't find it right now,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Yeah. I know how relays work. My problem was that I wasn't getting battery voltage. I was getting either 4.9 volts, which is more like reference voltage, or nothing at all. I figured it was supossed to be battery voltage, but since I was getting a reading so close to reference voltage I thought I should ask.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by g0bbledeeg00k View Post
    Yeah. I know how relays work. My problem was that I wasn't getting battery voltage. I was getting either 4.9 volts, which is more like reference voltage, or nothing at all. I figured it was supossed to be battery voltage, but since I was getting a reading so close to reference voltage I thought I should ask.
    Just making sure,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

is that maurice's old car?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

Yes sir it is.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Just making sure,
    Thanks It's always nice to have someone double check you...no matter how sure you think you are.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

nice dude. glad to see someone getting that car going.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.