Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag Spool Pre-Season Production

Mitsu booster

Drag Spool Pre-Season Production

I’m lining up the next production run of drag spools and will be running them on a “pre-sale” basis only. I am not planning to stock any as these are expensive parts so this is the opportunity to get one. Spools are available for the 3-spd ATX (31TH/A-413), 1st/2nd gen Neon MTX (T-350). Also available with this batch is a new design for the SRT-4 (T-850). The T-350 design has been updated to add a mounting flange for the speedo gear for applications that may wish to maintain that functionality . The ATX spool design uses the larger drivers side differential bearing which requires the late-model style bearing carrier. Pre-Season Purchase price is $625 + shipping (fedex ground / insured).

Because of the high manufacturing cost on these parts I am requiring a deposit with orders. The deposit of $200 will be considered non-refundable at the time when the batch order goes into the machine shop. If I am unable to deliver product per committed timing and you wish to withdraw your order - deposits will be refunded. If you opt not to complete the purchase your deposit will only be refunded at the time when either you or I secure a new buyer for the part allotted to you. I’m sorry I have to put these type of terms on this but I have to protect against non-committed buyers on a specialty product.

Spools are made from 52100 steel and weigh approx 6lbs - this is nearly a 10lb reduction of rotating weight over other available LSD options. Don't blow a diff pin ever again. These spools are designed with the same spline geometry as the factory differential, including the proper provision for the axle retaining rings. They are a direct fit to the listed applications. Spools are designed for OFF-ROAD USE ONLY and not recommended for street use. As the spool supplier to Darrell Cox Racing, our spools have been tested thoroughly by some of their high HP drag racing customers.

The purchase period will be open until January 30, at that point orders will close and manufuacturing will begin. I'm not keeping this open very long so as not to push delivery any further into race season. Approximate lead time is 6 weeks (shipments expected to begin about March 16), just in time for the 2009 racing season. Subsequent production runs may be available but are demand based and require multiple pieces to be run, single piece runs are not available.
    PM with questions.

Tim Kish
    No website
    5859 S.30th St. Kalamazoo, MI 49048
    timothymkish@eaton.com
    269-569-9088

Previous Design T-350 shown (prior to addition of speedo gear mounting ring)

Last edited by Tim Kish; 01-21-2009 at 10:22 PM.

turbo addict

Re: Drag Spool Pre-Season Production

and not for 4 speeds?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Very nice looking piece you have there!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    and not for 4 speeds?
    I've not personally seen the 4-spd ATX diff but as I understand it the only difference from the other neon designs is the ring gear position and its much closer to the neon MTX position that the 3-spd ATX is. less than ideal for weight reduction but again as I've been told by another person that has been working with the 4-spds is that you can take the neon MTX spool (or OBX, or whatever) and with fairly thin ring gear spacer you can make it work. If you are really interested I can confirm those details, or if we can find a min of 5 other people that want them for the 4-spd we can make a specific batch.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice work!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

Learned something new today - 520/523 uses the same diff as the Neon MTX so for all those apps and hybrid apps we're good to go with the current tooled designs!!!

That means JT needs one!!!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Interesting, very interesting

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

nice looking part Tim.
    So how have you been man long time since I've seen your name pop up.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

Hybrid booster

Hmmmmmmmmm! Good to know tim
    keep beating 9 second super stockers,lol

take care ,jimmy
    Last edited by BF/STOCKER SPIRIT; 01-27-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Hybrid booster

Looks awesome tim, been wondering, if a mini spool
    would be, just as effective,and less costly to make
    do you know, what art leong,is using

be good ,jimmy

Mitsu booster

Art is currently using an OBX with the big steel ring gear spacer - he'll be switching to my spool come March!. I could design a mini-spool and yes it would be cheaper but the other benefit I was going for was weight reduction, this is about 9 lbs lighter than OEM diff, even more than the OBX or Quaife and far lighter than the big ring gear spacer to adapt those to the ATX trans. Since this is a drag race only mod those guys typically want the lighter weight option. The mini-spools often go into mild street cars where they are more cost conscious and I don't want to encourage street use.

Hybrid booster

HMMMMMM TIM ,THATS GREAT! I'M SURE YOUR R/D IS GOING TOO PAY OFF,
    I'M SURE , THIS IS NEEDED! MAYBE IT COULD GO ON TO THE ECOTEC,AND TUNER GUYS
    YU'LL BE RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
    LAST YEAR IN ATLANTA, I WAS TALKING TO MY FRIEND JIM HARRINGTON
    AND TOLD HIM ,ITS NOT HOW FAST YOU GO! ITS HOW GOOD YOU ARE!
    HE JUST SMILED
    WHEN I SEEN YOU BEATEN HIM , OUTRIGHT! 9.8s to your 13, I ALMOST FELL OF MY CHAIR
    SO MUCH ,FOR A 50GRAND SUPER STOCKER

YOU TAKE CARE, JIMMY

Mitsu booster

The end date for orders has been extended to Feb 11 based on multiple requests. These are also available from Darrell Cox Racing if you prefer to purchase from a vendor.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Can someone give me real life experience driving a FWD with a spool or welded diff? I've been afraid to go this route because I've always heard it's near impossible to turn. I remember Gary Donovan was running a welded stocker and stating that he had to put power steering back on the car to get it to turn.

I currently have manual steering (22:1 the right way) and I love it on the street. But, with the 25" x 8.7" slicks, it gets a little cumbersome to turn (not horrible, but definitely not super easy).

Anyone running one on the street at all? I know you aren't promoting street use Tim, but I do like to drive my OMNI around some, to car shows and the like.

Thanks!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

turbo addict

My omni (Rattrap) is running a A525 with a welded diff no p/s it's harder to park but not impossible , driving on the street not a problem launches are hard and straight and very little or no torque steer driving on the hi way tires get on the warm side
    Drove for 1 year on the street this way.

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    My omni (Rattrap) is running a A525 with a welded diff no p/s it's harder to park but not impossible , driving on the street not a problem launches are hard and straight and very little or no torque steer driving on the hi way tires get on the warm side
    Drove for 1 year on the street this way.
    Slicks at the track? If so, how big?

Thanks for the input!

My thinking was that it would be easier in a FWD to drive with a spool, than a RWD. Reason being that the front wheels *point* in the direction you are going, rather than *pivot* meaning less speed differential.....I may be way off here...but that's the way I see it in my now sober head (buzz wore off).

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

turbo addict

No slicks yet running 215/60r14 t/a's right now moving to 225/50r15 g force this year
    ice racer turning to drag
    if you pm Nathan he can tell you what was like when he raced it on ice with spiked tires .

One last thing i had a Grant GT small steering wheel on for a month it was a lot more work to park it , pulled it off and stocker back which made it a lot easier i would have keeped it but it was blocking my guages.

Mitsu booster

It's like the hair club, I have been running a spool in my Neon (drag only) since early last season. My car has a manual rack and with 22" slicks (20psi) it is hard (in terms of effort) to turn at low speed. Higher speeds it is easier. Car goes straight as a string but isn't very high HP. The biggest issue with the spool and turning is the fact that the car naturally wants to go straight, so when you turn the wheels you have to hold that turn. If you let go of the steering wheel the car with straighten itself back out (and fast). Turning is not a one hand affair.

Very interesting.....

03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's

Art may be needing one of these after yesterday. I wasn't aware you were doing this until he mentioned it last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast