Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sledgehammer's New Breather

Re: Sledgehammer's New Breather

Hey Steve, How bout a look at the intake/exhaust gasket side.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor BadFastGTC's Avatar

The chambers were welded up completely, save for a small hole to each port. The ports were changed somewhat when the head was cast. One fantastic thing they did was to eliminate the coolant passage behind the guide in the exhaust port. The intake side has an area filled that I was going to do, this step was saved. The information I got when I purchased the head was that it was welded, re-heat treated, and the machining was done for the cam towers and lifter holes. The chambers were non-existent when recieved, flat with the deck.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875
    What Iam asking is, was it flat (even) with the deck surface? Or was it welded, and then contoured?

Intake port entrances and exhaust port exits are 1/2" higher than stock locations. I bolted a valve cover to the head, clamped an intake to the head, marked all the positions and then had the intake port roof areas welded up. The exhaust port floors were also welded up. The head had rough ports cast in it.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLH
    It was a completely unmachined head, no ports, guides, cumbustion chambers, nothing. I'm personally interested in seeing shots of the manifold side of the head, I want to see just how much higher the ports are.

The intake/exhaust side is still rough. Once it looks a lot better, I'll shoot it and post it.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer

turbo addict

That head is sounding REAL SWEET!!!

Warren,

Here are a couple shots of the roughed exhaust ports

Steve M.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cropped2.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	1522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cropped Port.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	1523  

Steve, Looks like aprox. same cross section but with a much straighter shot at the valve.....yes,no,maybe? either way, nice work.........Warren
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Steve, Looks like aprox. same cross section but with a much straighter shot at the valve.....yes,no,maybe? either way, nice work.........Warren
    That pretty much sums it up. I believe he is welding up the top of the head to move the bolt holes up and such since the whole port has been moved up for that beautiful port.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict

Steve, I'm VERY excited to see this work on this head! I remember seeing that head on e-bay and wishing I had the funds to get it so you could work your magic on it! I'm anxiouse to see what becomes of it! I have a question for ya...when/if the ports are made larger than the holes in the gasket, how to you deal with this? Also, how close is the intake going to be to the valve cover? Is there any interference? I know you said you had all this mocked up, I'm just wondering how certain things fit. Anyways...it's nice to see this...keep it up!

Garrett booster

When this head is done, and #'s are checked out, are you considering having these cast up in quantity and selling them to interested TD'ers? I mean a mass produced head that bolts up directly, and yeilds significant gains without witch-doctor top secret porting should be worth what Dart etc get for a Honda head, at least.

The intake/exhaust ports are not larger than the gasket. No need to worry about anything there. The intake is very close to the valve cover and will have to be relieved slightly.

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1
    Steve, I'm VERY excited to see this work on this head! I remember seeing that head on e-bay and wishing I had the funds to get it so you could work your magic on it! I'm anxiouse to see what becomes of it! I have a question for ya...when/if the ports are made larger than the holes in the gasket, how to you deal with this? Also, how close is the intake going to be to the valve cover? Is there any interference? I know you said you had all this mocked up, I'm just wondering how certain things fit. Anyways...it's nice to see this...keep it up!

I'm not considering doing anything save for running it on the car, if it all pans out as planned!

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore
    When this head is done, and #'s are checked out, are you considering having these cast up in quantity and selling them to interested TD'ers? I mean a mass produced head that bolts up directly, and yeilds significant gains without witch-doctor top secret porting should be worth what Dart etc get for a Honda head, at least.

Yessir buddy, the cross section is very close all the way out. The ports all have a straighter shot to and from the valves.

Steve M.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Steve,

Got your message this weekend... SOUNDED NICE!!! I'll give ya a shout this week. 2 cars almost back up. One needs a radiator one a belt and buttoning up.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Too bad it can't be mass produced,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

it could be, but it would require a group buy of around 200+ people... maybe more.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

16" of vacuum on the tired motor!

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN
    Steve,

Got your message this weekend... SOUNDED NICE!!! I'll give ya a shout this week. 2 cars almost back up. One needs a radiator one a belt and buttoning up.

Considering how well the 8V cars represented us at SDAC/SRT Nats, perhaps Ma Mopar will end up going back to the 8V with the heads done this way! One never knows......

Steve M.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    it could be, but it would require a group buy of around 200+ people... maybe more.

Frank

I should just for the heck of it see how much World Motors would charge for different quantities of head castings. Just for grins. However for that kind of work, you are almost better off taking a Neon head, doing an INDY port, making some other changes, and then having a casting that works with our blocks. That would be worth while... 300+ cfm heads on our cars would be sick. We have way more hood room when using a 2.4L head, so you could do some sweet stuff to one.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    I should just for the heck of it see how much World Motors would charge for different quantities of head castings. Just for grins. However for that kind of work, you are almost better off taking a Neon head, doing an INDY port, making some other changes, and then having a casting that works with our blocks. That would be worth while... 300+ cfm heads on our cars would be sick. We have way more hood room when using a 2.4L head, so you could do some sweet stuff to one.

Frank
    I agree. If you are going to have some thing cast, you might as well go all out with the platform that has the most potential.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast