Thread: Koni strut diameter

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Koni strut diameter

A local shop is clearing out ground control coilovers for rediculously cheap so I am going at lunch to find a pair that will work for my Shadow. The only problem is my car is in storage so I was curious if anyone knew the diameter of the strut body so I make sure I don't get collars that are too small. Any help would be great. Thx.

DJ

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Koni strut diameter

the housing is 2.005" diameter. BUT at the top of the housing is a cap peice that is wider than the housing so when you cut off the perch, you will also need to groung down the edge of the cap so you can slide the sleeve over. FYI if you do the conversion, Koni will no longer warranty your struts.
    Later,
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Perfect, thank you Cindy. I ended up finding a kit for a 92-00 Prelude that has 8"x2.5" 380lb and 250lb springs. The rear might be a bit soft but I got the brand new Ground Control kit for $99 and I can always change the springs after I see how it feels. It's worth it just to have quality perches. I'm pretty excited about the purchase.

DJ

Cindy,

Are the Eibach springs on your site priced as pairs or single. It says sold as pairs so I didn't know if that means it is also how it is priced. Thx.

DJ

turbo addict

FWD sells in pairs, meaning thats the price for 2 springs

put the 380 in the rear and 250 up front should be good

Also check out pitstopusa

I'm going back to buy a kit that had 6" 450lb springs to give myself some options. After all it is just another $99 which brings my total for a quality coilover kit to a whopping $198 CAD. Then I will build the rear perches to have the room to except either 6" or 8" springs.

I was thinking about the putting the 250s up front but was worried they would be a little soft. I have the Eibach sport kit on right now and could use a little stiffer. The car weighs in at 2880 lbs but unfortunately it isn't in my grage so I can't do what is needed to compute the suspension fequencies as I would like to do.

I thought I read you had 350s in the front 450s in the rear. Any comments on the setup even though I know it will be different with every car?

DJ

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I thought I read you had 350s in the front 450s in the rear. Any comments on the setup even though I know it will be different with every car?
    DJ
    I went with those spring rates after talking with Chris Still(csracer). We talked a little and at 1st I had a rear swaybar from polybushings. Chris told me that he was working on 550lb in the rear w/o the rear bar to go with 400lb fronts IIRC. So I chose to sell the rear bar to save weight and just use stiffer springs in back.

It rides stiff as you can imagine but doesnt bother me, the rear of mine is gutted so another reason I went with 450lb, as well as not wanting to go 400lb up front. It deff doesn't understeer anymore!!

Also I talked with Kevin and he switched to 275lb up front on his Daytona as the 300 or 350lb he had up front were too much for him.

Just remember that Eibach's are progressive rate and the springs we're talking about are not, so they will be stiffer than comparing to the Eibach pro kit 300lb up front.

Also 7" on the front is basically the smallest spring you want to run at least how mine's setup, its about perfect for me as the perches are just above the tire.

Ya, I was looking at CSracer's setup. I will be copying his rear perches, more or less. I now have 250lb and 380lb sets in the 8" variety and a 450lb set in the 6" variety. I think I will try to make the rear perches with enough adjustablility that they could acccept an 8" or 6" spring. Then I can run a 250f/380r or 380f/450r combo. I don't mind a rough ride if it handles better but the option of something smoother would be nice for long hauls. Especially if I can make SDAC19 which is a 30hr drive.