Thread: help

Mitsu booster

help

Hi i have a 85 sc and i just did a compression check looking at the engine from left to right the # are 60 120 70 115 what do you guys think

and also if my power loss light is staying on does that mean the my hall effect pick up is bad

im only getting 2 codes 54 and 55 i even took my + batt terminal off for 10 min's i thought i would be getting code 11 also but i didnt

thanks eric

Hybrid booster

Re: help

Bad rings, broken pistons, or blown head gasket. I would say one of the first two.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    Bad rings, broken pistons, or blown head gasket. I would say one of the first two.
    Also check your oil. If it looks like chocolate milk it probably has antifreeze in the oil and means a blown head gasket.

Mitsu booster

i did over heat the car by my rad fan motor went out i fixed that then drove it about 30 miles to get home but at 1 point after i fixed the fan. the car was bucking and jercking real heard and didnt wanna rev up pas 2500 rpm once it hit 2000 to 2500 it did the jerking and bucking
    but i ahvent had that problem for a while
    i have parked the car since it did all of this so it wouldnt get any worse but i still start it 1 a week and move it

Mitsu booster

oil looks like new
    the car is smoking at idle and it is blowing smoke out of the dipstick tube and breather box and their is oil in the breather to

turbo addict

New engine or rebuild time

You pick.

Mitsu booster

thats what i was thinking but the car starts right up and purrs and i have had that jerking problem since if it was time to rebuild wouldnt the car be running like ---- and not purring

Hybrid booster

Pull the head off and go from there.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Do a leak down test and a wet test. The readings to me indicate bad rings.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

how do the plugs look?

turbo addict

if you overheated the piss out of it you probably warped one of the surfaces

if you don't have a leak down tester, add a little bit of oil and recheck and see if the numbers dramatically improve (on the low ones)

Hybrid booster

My omni did the same thing when I got it. It ran fine, but blew out the dip stick like crazy. Compression was similar to yours. It had three broken pistons. Time to rebuild, and do a t2 swap!

Mitsu booster

Sounds like your gonna have to rip into your engine. Atleast take the head off and see whats goin on there, maybe youll get lucky and it's just a couple of valves. Is this a turbo I ? If so I have a brand new turbo assembly that I want to sell if you think you need it. Make me an offer.

Dave

Just curious but when you did the compression check did you have the gas pedal all the way down? Still those numbers aren't good regardless... I'm with the other guy's, at least get the head off and get a look. If you decide to proceed do some checks before disassembly, like the oil in the spark plug hole
    method as mentioned above, and verify your timing. A great site to refer
    to is http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ (turbo database) Keep us posted G.P.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well, 60 120 70 115 compression screems for having to take the head off.

Now, on your codes: 55 is only the end of sequence. 11 after battery disconnect without having cranked the car is normal. If it would stay after cranking you a) wouldn't have been able to start the car and b) it would mean that your ECU does not receive any signal from the HEP. That in conjunction with the fact, that earlier on you did have Code 54 which basically says the same but under running condition indicates that you do have a problem around there (wiring or bad hep).

In total, at best your head gasket is gone although by the way you describe the issue it is more like that the rings are gone. Also there is a good chance that if your ECU really had to gues on fueling that you were running lean on those 2 cilinders which are affected now by low compression.

Whatever, get that head off and have a look.
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

hi 85Shelbyman

first ya got two busted pistons........vac readings

second ya got a vac line off to map........jerking and dropping off @ 2500+ rpm

easy fix.........

1.pull head.....pull oil pan...pull out all pistons....if holes aren't really torn up just re-hone ..and throw in used pistons from either fwdperformance..or maybe from for sale postings...and while your at it put on some new rings...maybe even spoil that motor with new rod bearings....this ain't ballet and used is good.

2. put in all new vac lines to map.and put dielectric grease on all electrical fittings involved.....

3. oh and least we all forget..add three heavy ground straps.

4. good luck and yup i just gave ya my best first guess from what has happened to my chargers ..

deuce