Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on wheels needed

turbo addict

Opinions on wheels needed

These would be for my red Spirit R/T. I was looking for something dark but not black and not 5 spoke but the price is right on these. 18x8 Solid Gloss Black VSR Rims 5x100/5x112 with Sumitomo HTR Z II tires 225/40/ZR18.

Opinions?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Opinions on wheels needed

I think they'd look pretty cool. And I have heard those Sumitomo HTRZ's are very sticky for an everyday 3 season tire.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I like the looks of the wheel. Might be better with the rim edge in chrome or polished.

Johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Mike, I've heard about the same about the tires, I have snows for the winter anyway.

I agree Johnny but I'm not quite sold with 5 spokes on a 4 door sedan type car.

turbo addict

18's? Yikes! How about going with some 17's instead....your rear end will thank you!

turbo addict

I have been looking for 17's or 18's. A non Subaru offset 17 seems pretty hard to find on the used market.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Are those tires going to be too wide? I have 225 60 16 on my caravan and they barely fit. I cannot fit a finger between the tire and strut

turbo addict

225s fit without a problem as long as the offset is right on the rims. I run 245 40 17s on my Daytona.

turbo addict

Here is another one I have been looking at. More of what I was looking at for the car but they are 18x8 with a 38 offset. Might have to run a very thin spacer if I go with these, they are also a few hundred more than the VSRs asking $900. Says only 400 miles on the set.

turbo addict

This is the last set I have been considering. They are factory Scion wheels, 18x8. He has the caps but they say Scion on them. Been looking for an aftermarket style or Dodge cap that clips on and is 2.5" diameter. Price is about the same as the VSR's ~ $600 for 4 clean wheels with a spare that has some scuffs, Fuzion tires on all of them.

I like the black wheels...I think they'll look good on a red R/T.

I think the other options are too fancy IMHO. I like the black ones. I agree with Johnny that it would look better with a silver or polished lip, to give some definition between the wheel and the tire. And to blend with some of the brite trim on the Spirit. However, I think the brite trim would look better blacked out.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Scion wheels on a Dodge? Sacrilege! I personally like a lighter colored wheel with red paint, to me the black is too dark. Joe Goetz had charcoal painted pumpers on his old Spirit R/T, the charcoal color looked good. he also painted the C/S logo in the center caps red which really set the wheels off. The 5 spoke wheels to me would be the best choice if they were charcoal or silver. What about SRT-4 BBS ACR wheels? Yes they are only 16 inch but I think they would look sweet on an R/T.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i say go with the black ones, all the way. they will look great. Also, i went from 225/50r16 to 225/40r18 and it rode BETTER.

I like the black wheels

turbo addict

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give the guy with the black ones a call and hopefully I can get them.

Scott, I pretty much agree with you on everything you posted there. I do like the ACR wheels but I want atleast a 17.

Ideally I wanted an anthricite wheel in a twin spoke or similar style with a decent lip.

http://www.machiii.net/wheels/Tramac3.html
    http://www.machiii.net/wheels/Formula.html

Money no object I would get these:
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

14 Lbs on a 17x8

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post

Money no object I would get these:
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

14 Lbs on a 17x8
    They look good, but I think they would make stock brakes look puney.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

I like those Formula wheels. You could always paint those black wheels dark gray. Duplicolor makes a special wheel paint. I just restored a set of crab wheels with that paint and it came out really nice.

I've been kicking around putting the BBS ACR wheels on my R/T. I bought a set for my SRT-4 but am undecided about putting them on there. I also have a set of NOS 16" pumpers I might put on the R/T. I want to change the look of the car a little bit, I've owned the car for 10 years now and it has always looked the same.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

I have a set of 16" pumpers with a nice set of tires I was considering running. The car came with a set of 17s with 205 40 tires. They were way too short, a bit harsh but made the car handle great. I sold the wheels to a co worker and the tires to Clay. I should have kept the wheels, they were nothing special but they were 7.5 wide and 38 offset. Excel something, all 4 had rash but this is a driver not a show winner.

If this snow isn't too bad tomorrow I'm going to take a ride and get them.

turbo addict

i have the ACR wheels on my omni, they are SWEEEEEET! not a flaw on them and they came with bfg kdw's, one was missing the bbs center cap but i got all 4 for 275 bucks. my omni is dark blue and looks good with the silver wheels, but the red with black is a good color scheme, black out some parts on the grill, headlights and tail lights? maybe get the acr's and black those out?

im going to put black srt4 wheels on my black 85 la baron, but im going to paint a silver pinstripe on the lip to match the rest of the trim on the car, headlight rings, grill, window trim etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast