Thread: Intercooler Piping

Garrett booster

Intercooler Piping

A hose recently cracked in my Lancer, specifically the hose between the airbox and intercooler. It cracked right where it connects to the intercooler and I was venting boost to the atmosphere. So yesterday, I went to AutoZone and picked up a huge radiator hose (2 inch inside diameter) with a few bends in it. I cut the hose to fit and installed everything with clamps. The car boosted right back up to around 10-12 psi with the new plumbing.

My question though is whether or not this is the ideal setup and whether or not it's restrictive. I should be getting around 15 psi with the Mopar Stage II setup and 3-inch exhaust (cat-back). I should mention that there is a BOV tied into the line between the airbox and intercooler. It's sort of a T setup where the BOV is tied into a larger metal pipe up top. That pipe is 2 inches in diameter, so even if I had gone with larger diameter piping, it would still down flow to the 2 inches due to the BOV piping.

It looks pretty good and seems air-tight, but it still needs to be efficient and functional. I know most people go with PVC or even larger diameter exhaust piping and use silicon couplers. I like the stock look and won't be pushing the car past 15 psi at the most. Stock intercooler will stay as well.

Sorry the pic is dark, just went out and snapped a few. Lightened with iPhoto.

Last edited by neonsox; 12-29-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added pic.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Intercooler Piping

Rad hose is fine,

I can't remember which is which but the black pvc tubing melts, I found that out when I used it, right at the compressor outlet. The white stuff, not sure.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Did you put the stage 2 LM in there (it was in the trunk when you picked the car up), or is the standard Shelby unit still installed?

I have heard of people who have used PVC and ruined O2 sensors. Not to mention hard piping of any material in that area will be real hard to make everything work as it is very tight...rubber is fine!

On a LeBaron note - the leaking brake lines have been replaced . I'm hoping the roads will be clean enough for a road test this weekend so I can determine whether or not I keep the car...

Garrett booster

I thought the Stage 2 was already installed. That might explain why I was only able to hit about 12 psi! I believe the Shelby LM only allowed 12 psi at WOT and then settled below 10, but I'm not sure. I'll swap in the Stage 2 in Spring and see if there's any difference.

Leaking brake lines? She never leaked anything on my garage floor (clean to this day). I guess I'm not too surprised though as the lines on these cars are prone to failure with age. My previous Lebarons all had brake line or hose trouble during their tenures.