Thread: 1988 crank in common block?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Question 1988 crank in common block?

Hey, i'm sure this question has been asked lots of times, but i did a quick search and couldn't come up with any info ...wasn't looking that hard though, . Anyways, i'm building up another block for one of my many Daytona's and i want to build a 2.2L. I have a couple good 2.5L turbo common blocks and one 1988 T2 block and i was wondering if i could put the pre-common block forged crank in the common block without any issues? It doesn't matter if i have to run the square tooth timing belt either... i have lots of 88 TBI cams, so it would actually work out better.

Thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: 1988 crank in common block?

I thought it was possible but I was wrong without some machining. I thought the front retainers were interchangeable but I just checked and they are not sooooooooo NO, its not a cheap alternative.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Thanks for the info! I guess i'll just look for an 89+ 2.2L crank. I think i might have a common block TBI motor outside that i can steal the crank out of... I don't think i need a forged crank anyways, according to the Dodge garage. I'm building a bottom end with Wiseco pistons, all ARP hardware and H-beam rods to withstand some good power i have planned,

turbo addict

you can make big power with the cast crank, the difference is, when you have a problem at those big power levels, the forged crank will bend and the cast crank will break. if your making 400 to 500 hp you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage View Post
    Thanks for the info! I guess i'll just look for an 89+ 2.2L crank. I think i might have a common block TBI motor outside that i can steal the crank out of... I don't think i need a forged crank anyways, according to the Dodge garage. I'm building a bottom end with Wiseco pistons, all ARP hardware and H-beam rods to withstand some good power i have planned,
    Nothing wrong with cast and as a bonus, its lighter,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    you can make big power with the cast crank, the difference is, when you have a problem at those big power levels, the forged crank will bend and the cast crank will break. if your making 400 to 500 hp you should be fine.
    I've broken a forged crank. Right @ #4 rod journal. There can be "flaws" in anything manmade.

As for the crank swap .. do you have a non-CB front seal retainer to test fit against the CB? Some CB's have a groove machined in front by the #1 main cap .. I understand that some don't? The dimensions of that groove might be your only stumbling block ... that and having to drill (4) new holes to hold the older retainer on. Check it out.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage View Post
    Hey, i'm sure this question has been asked lots of times, but i did a quick search and couldn't come up with any info ...wasn't looking that hard though, . Anyways, i'm building up another block for one of my many Daytona's and i want to build a 2.2L. I have a couple good 2.5L turbo common blocks and one 1988 T2 block and i was wondering if i could put the pre-common block forged crank in the common block without any issues? It doesn't matter if i have to run the square tooth timing belt either... i have lots of 88 TBI cams, so it would actually work out better.

Thanks
    I have one in my car. It came that way from Chrysler.
    Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

i took a look at it and it can be made , you need to fit the old style seal and housing to the common block , so you need to drill holes and tap , and drill oil pan holes too , or machining the front part of the crank to accept the new style seal (machine shop do that easily) im 95 % sure it can works

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymonster View Post
    i took a look at it and it can be made , you need to fit the old style seal and housing to the common block , so you need to drill holes and tap , and drill oil pan holes too , or machining the front part of the crank to accept the new style seal (machine shop do that easily) im 95 % sure it can works
    Your gonna have to look at the 'offset' for the late style seal. Although the non CB crank is larger at the seal (making you believe you can just 'turn it down') it is 1/4" off from where the CB crank seals Still working on it to convert my 2l Non CB crank to be used into a CB so when I have all the final mods/numbers, I'll post them. As it was mentioned, it might actually be easier to modify the front main seal retainer insted of the crank. My rough mock up shows it might be as easy as welding two retainers 'back to back'

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

so ...?

is this a doable thing???

turbo addict

You are much better off in the long run trying to find a CB crank if it's a CB or a Non-CB if you have a Non-CB. While it MAY physically look the same, there are subtle differences that would make this setup a PITA to pull off. In the long rub it is cheaper to just use the right piece as it came. They are not that rare/expensive yet and the machining costs would significantly outweigh using the right piece from the gate.

Of, course, you aren't a noob(member since 2006), so you already know this.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    In the long RUB it is cheaper to just use the right piece as it came.

Couldn't hold back...sorry

You are much better off in the long run trying to find a CB crank if it's a CB or a Non-CB if you have a Non-CB. While it MAY physically look the same, there are subtle differences that would make this setup a PITA to pull off. In the long rub it is cheaper to just use the right piece as it came. They are not that rare/expensive yet and the machining costs would significantly outweigh using the right piece from the gate.

Of, course, you aren't a noob(member since 2006), so you already know this
    ...yeah i know, at least i thought i did...i was asked if it was doable...i answered no, based on the differences i saw when trying to put the 88 fms housing on an '89 cb...i forget why i was even trying...it wasn't like i was swapping the cranks, maybe it was cuz it was a cleaner looking part, less elbow grease to clean it up, is most likely the case...at any rate i tried it and found it wasn't gonna work...after having answered negatively i thought i should be more sure and did a search on the topic here and found this one, one of the more informative threads on the topic...
    @ the turbododge forum there are some who think it is a workable idea...

so this is why i'm asking

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 86trbolancer View Post
    Couldn't hold back...sorry
    Nice catch...

Obviously I wasn't proofreading that one too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_A_Wiey View Post
    ...yeah i know, at least i thought i did...i was asked if it was doable...i answered no, based on the differences i saw when trying to put the 88 fms housing on an '89 cb...i forget why i was even trying...it wasn't like i was swapping the cranks, maybe it was cuz it was a cleaner looking part, less elbow grease to clean it up, is most likely the case...at any rate i tried it and found it wasn't gonna work...after having answered negatively i thought i should be more sure and did a search on the topic here and found this one, one of the more informative threads on the topic...
    @ the turbododge forum there are some who think it is a workable idea...

so this is why i'm asking
    Yeah, I kinda figured you weren't trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, but it seems like the '88 is like voodoo and nobody knows what that thing is. I went down this road with my Pacifica and I should've just held out for a different year because it seems like everything that year was one-off crap....
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have a forged crank here in Windsor if u need one.

Someone either did this or put a cb crank in a non cb block. I can't find the thread, grrrr.

my 88 sundance had square tooth gears, the 88 daytona i just got has round tooth gears and no fuel pump block off, havent ripped the oil pan off to see if it has balance shafts though, anyways, yea 88 had some weird stuff

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    because it seems like everything that year was one-off crap....
    I wouldn't call it crap, The 88 square tooth crank gear rocks

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I wouldn't call it crap, The 88 square tooth crank gear rocks
    quit talking about crank, gear and rocks. your given jay wood here!!!