Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A555 transmission bearing number list

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

A555 transmission bearing number list - 207 not correct

With all of this talk about rebuilding these transmissions here is a list of all of the bearings crossreferenced to Timken. Note: I did not use any of these yet, but the trans I am freshing up had timken bearings in it except the intermediate shaft case bearing which was original.

Input shaft SET4 and SET5

Intermediate shaft rear EDIT I was told the bearing was a timken 207, but it turns out this is not correct I apologise for the incorrect information.

Intermediate shaft case 5707

Differential bearings SET11

Input shaft seal 3732s

Axle seals 3459s

Please let me know if these are not correct, but hopefully I can save others the time looking them up.

Everhything except the input seal appears to be normal stock items in most auto part stores.

Justin
    Last edited by turbo84voyager; 01-12-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Re: A555 transmission bearing number list

That's cool about the #207. I thought I was going to have to go to the dealer for that one.

So just for grins, I jumped on Parts America's website and totaled everything up. I ended up crossing to National for the input shaft and axle seals and the intermediate shaft bearings but stayed with Timken for everything else.
    The total was $114.91 to completely rebearing and reseal a trans. They're shipping orders over $75 for free right now, so that's $114.91 shipped.

I wish I had a way to cross the rest from Timken to National as the cost would probably come down more. It seems like National runs a few dollars less per bearing.

EDIT: Rock Auto has the better deal even without free shipping. For all Timken parts, the total for everything is $59.81 ($87.36 shipped to my zip).
    Last edited by Tony Hanna; 12-28-2008 at 07:52 PM.

boostaholic

Thats some great info. there, are all those bearing availible ?

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    Thats some great info. there, are all those bearing availible ?
    I believe so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes all of the bearings are availiable. My dad works for a local auto parts store and I can access their inventory at home so I looked them up. They have everything except for the imput shaft seal in stock, even at their smallest store it is stocked. The input shaft bearings are very common, the sealed intermediate shaft bearing is a transmission and wheel bearing and the case bearing is a rear end bearing for a GM rear as well as other makes.

I wouldn't recommend using non brand name bearings. The timkens held up in the trans I pulled apart even after several years of drag racing.

I forgot to add. I pulled an untouched 555 apart this evening and the KOYO sealed bearing looks exactily like the Timken 207 which was in the other trans.

That's good to know. I'm going to be ordering all this crap within the next day or two and hopefully get the 555 back together soon. It's really nice to finally have a definite part# list for the bearings that can be purchased about anywhere. I hate worrying about stuff going NS1 at the dealer.

The only bearing I am not 100% sure about is the 5707. I crossreferenced this number with a torrington bearing number I read was the "Mopar" replacement bearing. I checked the size of the shaft with my micrometer and it is about 1.4 which is what is listed for the bearing. I believe I read somewhere after I crossreferenced this bearing number that people have used this bearing in the trans. I am going to pick up the 5707 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    The only bearing I am not 100% sure about is the 5707. I crossreferenced this number with a torrington bearing number I read was the "Mopar" replacement bearing. I checked the size of the shaft with my micrometer and it is about 1.4 which is what is listed for the bearing. I believe I read somewhere after I crossreferenced this bearing number that people have used this bearing in the trans. I am going to pick up the 5707 tomorrow.
    It should be fine. I did the same cross based on the Torrington p/n awhile back and came up with the same results. I ran the 5707 p/n by Cliff R. and he confirmed it.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    It should be fine. I did the same cross based on the Torrington p/n awhile back and came up with the same results. I ran the 5707 p/n by Cliff R. and he confirmed it.
    I'm the one who cross referenced a bunch of numbers and found the rear axle bearing thing....LOL!!!

J/K....others did it years before I did, darn good info to have!!!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    I'm the one who cross referenced a bunch of numbers and found the rear axle bearing thing....LOL!!!

J/K....others did it years before I did, darn good info to have!!!
    Wait, what? I remember you came up with the Torrington p/n from the TD thread and then I googled and came up with the ebay auction for the Mustang rear axle bearings, looked up bearings for the same year Mustang on the Parts America site and came up with the cross to the BCA 5707. Or wait... you came up with the Timken 5707 cross first right?

Well, anyway you look at it, the cross to the 5707 p/n has been checked, double checked, and then confirmed by someone who has actually used one in a rebuild.

I picked up a Timken 5707 today. To my surprise when I opened the box was a Torrington DB-67309 which is the "Mopar" replacement bearing. Cost was under $14.

Well that's neat. I didn't realize Timken outsourced their bearings. I wonder if the Mopar replacements have always been Torrington or if they switched because the Koyo bearings were no longer being produced?

I ordered all the bearings from Rock Auto and they came in today. Everything looks to be in order except for the 207. The 207 I got is not a sealed bearing. Instead, it's just a regular open ball bearing.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I went back to Rock Auto's catalog and put in 207s The specs listed are the exact same but the picture is showing a sealed bearing.
    Last edited by Tony Hanna; 01-08-2009 at 11:00 PM.

What brand was the bearing? Timken? I am going to pick one up tomorrow and see what I get. The old bearing in my trans was a timken 207 and it was sealed. Thinking about it, I am almost positive that bearing on my 520 was not sealed when I installed the chromo plate.

The box is Timken and the P/N on the box is 207. The bearing itself is marked FAFNIR 6207 C3 Z14 KOREA.

I'm pretty sure the one out of my 555 is sealed, but I don't have the trans here to double check. I'll be able to look at it this weekend though.

Both my 525 and 520 had a sealed bearing.

later Dick Westerhof

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

They are sealed like in the picture. The 525, 555 and 520 use the same one. Tony, I'm wondering if it was packaged wrong or someone put that one in that package and returned it to Rockauto.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    They are sealed like in the picture. The 525, 555 and 520 use the same one. Tony, I'm wondering if it was packaged wrong or someone put that one in that package and returned it to Rockauto.
    It's possible I guess but when I compared both the 207 and 207s, the specs are exactly the same. The only difference is that the picture for the "S" bearing shows a sealed bearing. I'm thinking it's more likely that the "S" after the p/n designates a sealed bearing.

The picture for the regular 207 shows an open bearing. I guess I just assumed it was a stock photo when I ordered and the actual 207 would be sealed.

There aren't any pictures for the Timken bearings, but here are the pictures of the 207 and 207s from BCA.

First the 207:

And the 207s:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast