Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Resurrection

The Resurrection

After almost 3 years of sitting I'm finally getting the bug to start wrenching on my spirit which the motor was completely in pieces. Since school, work, and going out during the weekends it hasn't been a very quick process. Yet I'm making progress. This time around I'm installing a Noble 2 bar tested intercooler, T3/4 46 turbo rebuilt with cut exaust wheel and 20% injectors. Now I just need to stay modivated and finish the car.

Yesterday it was freakishly warm outside for the end of December (70deg F) so I decide to bring the Spirit from my parents house to mine with the help of my dad, brother, and my buddy kyle.

Last edited by 1qk4dr; 12-29-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Re: The Resurrection

Keep at it, the hard stuff is done! Just a bit of assembly. At least the high dollar parts are already there. Mine is down now for 2 months(just got under it to complete the piston pull)
    Should be up in another month.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What did you do to the engine?

46 trim compressor wheel? clipped turbine? tell me more?

Looks good, I need to get my R/T running, so I have the van and R/T in the summer and the wife can drag race with me at the track,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I bought the following from FWD performance

1T-3 Head GasketFWD 43-0181FWD 43-0181
    2T-3 Valve cover GasketsFWD 43-0182FWD 43-0182
    1Cam Seal / Intermediate Shaft SealFWD 44-0352FWD 44-0352
    1ARP Rod BoltsFWD 39-0233FWD 39-0233
    1Melling High-Volume Oil PumpFWD 44-0446FWD 44-0446
    1Gasket Set 89-up LowerFWD 44-0353FWD 44-0353
    1T-3 PCV GrommetFWD 43-0189FWD 43-0189
    1Clevite 77 Main Bearings (.25mm)FWD 37-0337FWD 37-0337
    1Clevite 77 Rod bearings (.50mm)FWD 37-0334FWD 37-0334
    1Sealed Power Rings (STD)FWD 37-0271FWD 37-0271

Some years back I was driving my spirit and the oil pump went out. It ate the assesory shaft on my car. It was never right since. Come to find out I spun two main bearings. I had my crank turned, The place could not get the sprocket off and destroyed it. Luckly the guy I bought the car from had one.

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/...&product_id=56
    The 46trim is coupled to my stock .48ar exhaust side. This just allowed me to have a easier time mounting the turbo. The 50 trim I believe you have to take some material off the tranny. I went with the 46 trim that clears. The turbo from what local turbo shop said will be choked about at 365-375hp range which is ok because I'm just eventually going with a 15psi cal. Nothing radical.

The car has as follows
    2.5inch hiflow cat 2.5" exaust out the back welded
    Center force Duel friction clutch
    rebuilt transmission
    20% injectors
    Used a 2.5 common block and plugged the distributor hole and put a barb on it. I need to buy a catch can with a breather on it.
    Last edited by 1qk4dr; 12-29-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
    Keep at it, the hard stuff is done! Just a bit of assembly. At least the high dollar parts are already there. Mine is down now for 2 months(just got under it to complete the piston pull)
    Should be up in another month.
    Today I'm going to work on putting the motor in with my dad. He's in town and was old Mopar mechanic. I layed everything out last night so we won't get too frustrated on trying to find all the parts. I bought a brand new cherry picker for 59.99(I had to say it,lol!) last year during black friday. So I finally get to use it,hehe.

Good luck on your project also

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Looks good, I need to get my R/T running, so I have the van and R/T in the summer and the wife can drag race with me at the track,
    That's Kewl, I wish I could get my wife to make one pass down the drag strip. My car went best qtr 14.9 and best trap 95.67 stock. I'm hoping for at least a 100mph trap at a low 14. My buddy has a bolt on 2001 ram air trans-am that traps about 104 at the track I typically go to and runs mid 13's. I'm curious if I get this car together right if I'd be able to keep up with him. If not give him something to think about,lol.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Looks like a nice project

Quote Originally Posted by 1qk4dr View Post
    The 46trim is coupled to my stock .48ar exhaust side. This just allowed me to have a easier time mounting the turbo. The 50 trim I believe you have to take some material off the tranny. I went with the 46 trim that clears. The turbo from what local turbo shop said will be choked about at 365-375hp range which is ok because I'm just eventually going with a 15psi cal. Nothing radical.
    Ok, so its a TO4E housing. Did they clip the turbine wheel?

The turbine housing is going to be a cork,

If it is a T04E housing, 50 trim is the same size or should be but the 46 trim will be nice for a daily driver.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Ok, so its a TO4E housing. Did they clip the turbine wheel?

The turbine housing is going to be a cork,

If it is a T04E housing, 50 trim is the same size or should be but the 46 trim will be nice for a daily driver.
    Yeah they clipped it. The 46 trim can still make big power with the right turbine housing.

My dad, brother and I installed the motor today. What a pain in the neck,lol.
    Once we took off the power steering pump we finally had the clearance to mate the motor and transmission together.

Quote Originally Posted by 1qk4dr View Post
    Yeah they clipped it. The 46 trim can still make big power with the right turbine housing.

For sure it can, interested to see how your car will run. Any dyno time planned?

For sure it can, interested to see how your car will run. Any dyno time planned?
    I'd like to dyno it after I get a 15psi cal. I'd be happy with about 250-260whp.
    I'm curious too on how it will run.

Garrett booster

Any updates Joe?

I went over to Advance auto parts, Autozone, and Harbor freight today. I'll be installing new plugs, new temp sensor and connecting enough vacuum lines to crank her over hopefully today.

Installed the plugs and some of the vac lines. Motor now cranks over. I'll get some gas tomorrow and cross my fingers,lol.

Garrett booster

sweet!

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Nice Joe... Looking forward to seeing it again.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Thanks

She runs!!! I drove it about 40 ft when I moved the car out of the garage. Next will be cleaning up the vacuum hoses and eventually installing the new intercooler with hopefully a omni radiator. I have to first find one though.

Pictures after Sunday’s festivities

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast