Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Scamp

Mitsu booster

Turbo Scamp

New to the board...found you guys through the Rockauto email newsletter.

Got a '71 Scamp that I'm building into a daily driver with a little bit "more."

I'm installing a 360 bored .030 over, and am adding a FAST XFI fuel injection system with 65 lbs/hr injectors, and a Turbonetics T70 Q-trim turbo. Bottom end is built bulletproof, with a stud girdle, forged 8.5:1 Probe pistons, forged Eagle crank and H-beam rods, Edelbrock ported LA heads with 1.5 rockers.

I'd like to run a dual plane intake for better low RPM response, but none seem to be available that are drilled and ready to add fuel injection rails. In fact, the only intake I can find for a 360 that is fuel injection ready is the Eddy Super Victor EFI single plane with a power band from 3500 to 8000 rpm.

Any suggestions?

turbo addict

Re: Turbo Scamp

Adding two turbos?
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-25-2008 at 05:35 PM.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Make some bungs and weld them on the runners just upstream of the head. Not sure if you would need a dual plane manifold, perhaps someone else could say definitively.

Search for "ash 355 monster" that may be helpful.

Guy

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm at a loss for ideas, but I can suggest the posting of pics.

Welcome to the site!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
    New to the board...found you guys through the Rockauto email newsletter.

Got a '71 Scamp that I'm building into a daily driver with a little bit "more."

I'm installing a 360 bored .030 over, and am adding a FAST XFI fuel injection system with 65 lbs/hr injectors, and a Turbonetics T70 Q-trim turbo. Bottom end is built bulletproof, with a stud girdle, forged 8.5:1 Probe pistons, forged Eagle crank and H-beam rods, Edelbrock ported LA heads with 1.5 rockers.

I'd like to run a dual plane intake for better low RPM response, but none seem to be available that are drilled and ready to add fuel injection rails. In fact, the only intake I can find for a 360 that is fuel injection ready is the Eddy Super Victor EFI single plane with a power band from 3500 to 8000 rpm.

Any suggestions?
    You shouldn't have any problems with having the intake of your choice machined to take the injectors and rails. I know that the GN guys, when they jump up to the big boy parts, they run the Stage II intake that came on the V6 roundy round cars which were infamously carberated. Other problem is the throttle body but that's modified via some welding and fabrication to take a TB.

Orrrrrrr there is a guy here with a turbo V8 dakota and you can find out what he's running for an intake and see if it has the runners short enough. And you want the power band from 35 to 80? Why not just get it from 1000 to 9000? Don't know if you can get an intake/torque converter/cam combo to run that wide of a band but it would kick ---!

What about oil? Got it set up to not blow out all the oil seals at 8 grand? Big prob with the oil passages meant to give pressure at 6500 red line.

Pictures would be fun too!

Mitsu booster

You shouldn't have any problems with having the intake of your choice machined to take the injectors and rails.
    Yeah, I can get the intake machined, but I was just trying to save a little. I've already got too much $ in this build...I have to hide as much as possible from the wife!

And you want the power band from 35 to 80?
    No, I'd prefer a power band around 2000 to 7000, but the 3500 to 8000 is the power band given for the Edelbrock Super Victor EFI manifold. That's the only manifold I could find that was strictly a bolt and go deal. guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for machining.

Adding two turbos?
    No, just the single T70.

...but I can suggest the posting of pics.
    For some reason, my profile says I'm not allowed to post attachments. I'll have to figure out how to change that.

Thanks for the feedback!

host them on photobucket.com or send them to me and I'll host them and post them

skitzo_inc@hotmail.com
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the offer. Does that mean there's no way on this board to attach pics directly from my computer?

Sorry. I know this is off topic, but I'm kind of computer illiterate. I just know I attach pics pretty easily from my computer when I'm on www.forabodiesonly.com.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the offer. Does that mean there's no way on this board to attach pics directly from my computer?

Sorry. I know this is off topic, but I'm kind of computer illiterate. I just know I attach pics pretty easily from my computer when I'm on www.forabodiesonly.com.
    You can post attachments if you join the board. It's like 10 bucks. Not a big expense if you're going to be around.

The other way is to link it. I figured it out with the help of some members. Just "quote" this email. You'll see the "[img] [/img]" in the beginning and end of where the pic is hosted. Put the URL of the pic in there and you'll have a pic! I signed up for photobucket and posted pictures from there till I registered. Super easy for any level of literacy.

Here's the example pic.

I think the single plane would be the way to go for a boosted engine. the Victor would make things alot simpler. get a small cam for turbo or nitrous that would match the power band that you are looking for.

good luck

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    You can post attachments if you join the board. It's like 10 bucks. Not a big expense if you're going to be around.

The other way is to link it. I figured it out with the help of some members. Just "quote" this email. You'll see the "[img] [/img]" in the beginning and end of where the pic is hosted. Put the URL of the pic in there and you'll have a pic! I signed up for photobucket and posted pictures from there till I registered. Super easy for any level of literacy.

Here's the example pic.

Pinks All Out Baby Friken' Rich Christenson and his crew didn't bring the cameras to that event

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Welcome to the site GoFish, I'm putting a plan together to turbocharge my 71 Scamp also. I'm sticking with the Slant six so it's a much different setup than your putting together.

However I think Rob's advice is sound on sticking with the single plane intake. A boosted engine is going to behave much differently than a naturally aspirated one and the rpm ranges given by the mfr's don't put that into consideration. The cam and turbo choices will define your powerband more than the intake.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Mitsu booster

Thanks for all the input.

Yes, I've decided to go with that Edelbrock Super Victor EFI intake and fuel rails. I was originally thinking of the Professional Products Crosswind intake, but the owner of the company is a neighbor of mine and he said that the nitrous bosses that are cast into that intake are not strong enough for fuel injectors. In addition, he said that mounts for the rails would also have to be machined in, so the machining costs would also outweigh the cost savings with that intake. He recommended going with the Eddy, saying that the fuel injection would take care of my low-end torque concerns.

I'll get some pics up here soon...

turbo addict

don't come back until you have pics!

just kidding

Mitsu booster

Hope this works...pics of my motor. Intake and fuel rails just arrived today! They'll go on this weekend.

Mitsu booster

Wow! great car!!
    Lol, i have a 71 scamp as well...
    Ill throw in a 392 hemi later on.
    Good luck with your project

Hope this works...pics of my motor. Intake and fuel rails just arrived today! They'll go on this weekend.

Sweet build. Please have your neighbor ship me a 5.9 magnum style carb manifold for psycholgical evaluation and abuse. I'll post details soon after! Oh yeah and WOOT! For another A body owner!

boostaholic

So where in L.A. are you ? I'd like to see your project in person and invite you to the CaSDAC meeting. I live in Culver City.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Thats not Glyptol in the lifter valley, is it? I don't trust that stuff.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    So where in L.A. are you ? I'd like to see your project in person and invite you to the CaSDAC meeting. I live in Culver City.
    I live just South of you in Westchester. Unfortunately, my motor is at TG's in Lawndale, my car is in Hawthorne at the upholstery shop, and my turbo guy just moved to a new shop in Placentia. the only thing in my garage is my fuel injection setup and the grill and miscellaneous trip pieces I'm polishing! What's CaSDAC?

Contraption22, what's wrong with Glyptol? I've never heard of an engine builder who DIDN'T use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast