Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why the wide band is better than the narrow band

Re: why the wide band is better than the narrow band

Sounds like you have a Bosch sensor. They don't go very far above 0.85V. For a custom tune, a WB is a must.

Hybrid booster

just a ? were do i get a descent wide band ,gathering more parts for current prodject,i may have read it and not realize it but i all ready have the autometer in there ,can i keep the gauge in there (and have the lights bounce around for show ) and still have the wide band once i get one
    Last edited by spaceman; 07-09-2007 at 10:48 PM.

turbo addict

search for wideband, there was a guy here D1Adkkdaldk soemthing that had an in on getting the innovate stuff at wholesale prices.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Can I put a wide band sensor in the stock location in the SV?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

It is not recommended, it is too hot there. I think they want you to mount it 18 inches from the valve. I put mine right above the bend on the down pipe. I am planning on putting a plug on where the stock O2 sensor goes and have my wideband feed the computer a simulated narrow band signal.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I just bought a Innovate LM-1 with the RPM cable today, has datalogging and a few other goodies, $360. They have a few more but only until Dec 31st.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

I have the tech edge wideband and it gives me a PID unlock code (ie too hot) when things get hot at 20psi and wot. 15psi and wot its fine when i have it in the stock location. i need to move it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
    It is not recommended, it is too hot there. I think they want you to mount it 18 inches from the valve. I put mine right above the bend on the down pipe. I am planning on putting a plug on where the stock O2 sensor goes and have my wideband feed the computer a simulated narrow band signal.
    Although I would not recommend putting it there, I have mine in the SV. I know another person who has it there also with no ill effects. I do run the narrow band signal to the LM and it works great.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

yes it does work well but the negative consequences that you might face are reduced sensor life and decreased accuracy when the sensor shows an overheat condition.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    yes it does work well but the negative consequences that you might face are reduced sensor life and decreased accuracy when the sensor shows an overheat condition.

Brian
    Are the WBO2 sensors actual capabilities less than that of a narrow band sensor? It seems very odd to me that they would go with something so much more fragile than the previous generations of sensors. I have never seen the specs on either, but nor have I seen a factual post as to the heat tolerance variations either. That is what really got me to put it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Are the WBO2 sensors actual capabilities less than that of a narrow band sensor? It seems very odd to me that they would go with something so much more fragile than the previous generations of sensors. I have never seen the specs on either, but nor have I seen a factual post as to the heat tolerance variations either. That is what really got me to put it in there.
    Its probably due to it being so sensative that it makes it a tad more fragile!!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Its probably due to it being so sensative that it makes it a tad more fragile!!
    I don't see how 20 years of time for improvement would not allow for a greater range of AF to be read without losing any durability. One step forward, two steps back.

turbo addict

well who's got a VW turbo for refference to see where the sensor is stock, b/c thats the same sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    well who's got a VW turbo for refference to see where the sensor is stock, b/c thats the same sensor
    That is a good point. Although most other turbo cars in the 80s had their sensors much farther away from the turbo than we did too. I know that my o2 sensors got a ton of life out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    What year? I have a VW wrecker 2 doors down,

On my audi I have 4- IIRC one is probably 4-5 inches past the turbo.
    I want to cap of my swingvalve is to get better flow in the elbow(sv) and leave it at the downpipe.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

My brother had his mounted about 6 inches from his turbine outlet. It lasted about 3 passes before it burned up. We moved it about 3 feet away from the turbine and now it works great.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    My brother had his mounted about 6 inches from his turbine outlet. It lasted about 3 passes before it burned up. We moved it about 3 feet away from the turbine and now it works great.

Was he running race gas?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What year? I have a VW wrecker 2 doors down,
    I guess any that are turboed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Was he running race gas?
    Actually the runs made on the original sensor were made on VP Streetblaze 103, which is unleaded.

More recently on the new sensor we were running C16 and Q16, which are both leaded.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast