Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JAW Wideband???

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: JAW Wideband???

ford guys are turds lol

hehe. when i get mine, ill test it against my techedge. i havent ordered it yet though.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I have one (I am Tbone on TurboDodge). I used it on my Saturn. It is the older version (not the 1.041). It takes some time to get it dialed in when using the NB simulated signal. You have to modify the voltage column in the software to have the same general shape as a NB signal would have. If you don't your car will not run right at all. Also, the readout jumps around so fast that it is hard to know exactly what AFR you are running. There was a software upgrade a while back on the JAW site. I tried it and my JAW died after that. Actually the Bosch sensor went bad (heater in the sensor). The software had some bugs and was released too early. Now I am in the process of returning the sensor and I will try the old software again. The unit works but is not as nice as Innovate or Techedge. Plus, the software and logging are nothing special. At least you save some money with the JAW. Maybe not as much as you think, though. By the time it was all said and done, I had just over $200 into the whole thing because of wire, display case, main board case, connectors, serial cable, and solder. Ohh, good luck getting much of a reply from the creator of the JAW. He has angered a few people because he doesn't respond on the JAW forum to the questions/complaints people were having. I don't want to scare anyone away, but that has been my experience. I will keep using it when I get the new sensor, but I won't buy another one. Maybe the new version works great. It had a lot of potential and it is much smaller. I didn't hear from anybody that was using it the last time I was on the site, so I certainly wasn't going to buy it. Maybe that has changed.

turbo addict

jeeze, you can get a LC-1 with gauge for less than $200.

Hybrid booster

There does seem to be a few people happy with this set up right? Is this a case where maybe not everyone is going to be 100% satisfied?

Does this honestly mean it isn't a good unit? The LC-1 (if I am not mistaken) doesn't come with a readout for under $200. You would have to have a laptop connected in order to see what is going on.

I'm not trying to argue, I am just asking because I don't know.
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

turbo addict

nope, you can get a guage and the LC-1 with sensor all for under $200 now.

Hybrid booster

Where? I just looked on the innovate website and DIYautotune. I didn't think to look anywhere else.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    ford guys are turds lol

hehe. when i get mine, ill test it against my techedge. i havent ordered it yet though.

Brian
    I do tend to recognize the fact that many of them have been doing this a hell of lot longer than most of us and are better at it (and have gone much quicker)...(I'm understand your poke and am not targeting your jest)...but take every "word of mouth" point-of-view with a grain of salt. Honestly though, how many people here bother to check up on the other old-school turbo peeps?

turbo addict

Innovate and DIYAT are gonna sell you a gauge/LC-1 kit at retail price of $230. Still not bad. Think young padawan learner.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for calling me young, being 32 and having 3 kids..I don't feel like it anymore..lol

turbo addict

younger than I am, but you've got more kids The place to get them starts with a big E

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

i wont buy that ,when you see the aem wideband at less than 200$ and now innovate lc2 at 300 $

turbo addict

won't buy what? the JAW? It's an LM-2 not an Lc2. You have the LM-1/LM-2 which are portable from car to to car and the LC-1 which is a permenent install. I don't know what you can get a LM-2 for now days. But the LC-1 with gauge is less than $200 on ebay.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

my bad , but it still getting cheaper year by year , last year the aem was 250+ and now low 200 , i trust the aem more than the jaw thing

Hybrid booster

The AEM is a wideband only right? It can't send a signal to the LM for a NB feedback. Seems like if that is the case the innovate would be the way to go for just a few dollars more.

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    I do tend to recognize the fact that many of them have been doing this a hell of lot longer than most of us and are better at it (and have gone much quicker)...(I'm understand your poke and am not targeting your jest)...but take every "word of mouth" point-of-view with a grain of salt. Honestly though, how many people here bother to check up on the other old-school turbo peeps?
    dont worry, it was totally a joke and i dabble in everything. i dont only own dodges and i havent only owned dodges. ive had a nissan, VW, pontiacX2, ford, buick, geo X3, chevyX3, and dodgeX8.

i dont care what the car is nor the make. the fun for me is trying to make it faster or better somehow. im resisting turbocharging my 1.0L metro.

for the JAW, its cheap enough that its almost worth it even if it has some drawbacks. im going to test it against my techedge.

as far as accuracy, response etc, alot of folks love widebands that the ford wideband test article said that they sucked. im wondering if having all those widebands in that pipe messed up the readings. like if the gasses were burnt off a little with the red hot core of the sensor and those gasses hit the next sensor near by, skewing the readings.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

btw, i would want to see actual test results of the JAW before i made any decision on what to buy.

the AEM doesnt do datalogging.

having a wideband is darn near useless if it cant be captured alongside other data from the car in the same file. can risens logworks plugin log data from a innovate wideband and the turbododge ecu at the same time? i use winlog http://www.devtechnics.com/winlog.htm logging my LM and my techedge wideband at the same time.

http://www.wbo2.com/2j/default.htm this with no display and no sensor (buy the sensor at autozone, its cheaper, around 50$) is 159$ austrailian which is 115$ US dollars.

with that you can datalog the wideband and the LM with winlog.

Brian

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    btw, i would want to see actual test results of the JAW before i made any decision on what to buy.

the AEM doesnt do datalogging.

having a wideband is darn near useless if it cant be captured alongside other data from the car in the same file. can risens logworks plugin log data from a innovate wideband and the turbododge ecu at the same time? i use winlog http://www.devtechnics.com/winlog.htm logging my LM and my techedge wideband at the same time.

Brian
    Why yes, yes it can integrate the data from the wideband with the output from your ecu. The logworks plugin works the same as the winlog plugin. It was actually the original logworks stuff that allowed me to turn the winlog plugin for LM's around quickly (albeit with it's vairous warts). I tuned my car in quite a bit with the old plugin for logworks and the new one is shaping up to be 100x better. Plus, with Shelgame's help we'll have something that's usable for all generations of our ecus so no more redneck-style-fuel-pressure-regulator tuning. Log the rich/lean spots and fix them. The support for the SMEC and DRBII will get ported to winlog eventually once the logworks version is done breaking my stones.

If you want my opinion (lol, not that anyone asked) go with Innovate. Their hardware is very widely used, so you won't get hit with some bug that no one has tripped over because the wideband hasn't seen wide use. And their software is unparalleled as far as I'm concerned. Winlog is a great program and all, but it just doesn't match what logworks2 was able to do, let alone logworks 3 (I go to bed dreaming about things like overlays of datalogs graphed out in a 3d format). I'm sure winlog will get there some day, but it's got a ways to go. As far as pricing Moates.net has a LC-1 and guage combo for around 250. I understand it's higher than the other options but don't forget the level of support that you get from Innovate with that price tag, free software, etc. The initial amount of cash that you shell out shouldn't be the only factor considered.

Man, Innovate should put me on their payroll after a pitch like that.

Hybrid booster

200 bucks? whered you get all your stuff from? i have all of 125 in mine and that is for everything-including a new sensor.

turbo addict

Brian: I totally understood this before commenting. I'm just in the "generally skeptical" boat.

Hybrid booster

How the heck do I get on that boat? I'm always in the "believe everything I read" boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast