Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16x8 on a G-body

turbo addict

16x8 on a G-body

Found some nice wheels in an 8" width with a backspacing that I think is workable. Would like to run 225/50-16's on them.

Seen a bunch of posts that recommend using the same offset as the stock rims but I don't see how that's even possible with rims wider than the 6" stock pumpers.

If I'm thinking right ... using this offset calculator:
    http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
    I'd need a 19mm offset (5.25" backspacing) up front (front rims) and still lose 6mm of inner space at the strut. That would move those tires out to the fender lip. The rear wheels could have a 12mm offset (5" backspacing) and that would move those tires out to the fender lip.

Have I got this right or am I missing something?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 16x8 on a G-body

I always get offset and backspacing confused... from your link, wider rims will need more offset. For a 8" wide rim, and my foggy memory 5" sounds like the max backspacing...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

They offer a 5.25" backspacing max on the rims I'd like to get ... if that's what you meant. Or are you saying that 5" backspacing is the max for front of car with 8" wide wheels?

Yeah, I meant 5" max or less... my 15x8 Bogarts are less than 5"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Where does the outside edge of the wheel? Even with the fender top lip or out past that?

pretty even look at the front wheel... I'll try to look at my notes to find eth backspacing, thought it was 4.5" or 5"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

https://www.rsracing.com/images/tech-wheeloffset.gif
    That's what I used to convert backspacing to offset. Thanks for posting the picture. The 8's look pretty flush. If you find your notes please post what backspacing you used so I have a reference point.

These are the wheels I'd like to go with.
    http://www.wheelsforless.com/SearchR...ords=VN4706800

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i think frank the gazer has 16x8 or maybe 17x8 on his daytona with 225 width tires.

the tires will rot before he gets that thing on the road

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

LOL ... would of asked if he liked how they handled but since it doesn't move :P

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    LOL ... would of asked if he liked how they handled but since it doesn't move :P
    What are you talking about, it's like the car is glued to the driveway. Just imagine it on the street!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    tell him to put them on his CSX and go for a spin. that car runs and drives! hehe

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

That chart above is wrong. Offset is measured from the center of the width of the wheel. That chart listed 4.5" on an 8" wheel as 0 and then calculated from there.

5" Backspacing is +25 mm, 5.25" bs comes out to +32 and 5.35" bs is +35.

I have some 15x8s for my drag slicks and they have 4.75 backspacing making them ~+15 offset. They stick out a bit. They 17x8s I run on the street have a +35 and fit nice. Up to a 235 width tire, I have 245 and they rub a bit.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

might wanna dig up that post i made about backspacing/offset cuz im too lazy to do it myself.

anyway same deal here i got 17x8s at +35mm offset they fit but with a 245 tire you will need to roll your inner fender lips up or they will rub/cut over bumps.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    That chart above is wrong. Offset is measured from the center of the width of the wheel. That chart listed 4.5" on an 8" wheel as 0 and then calculated from there.

5" Backspacing is +25 mm, 5.25" bs comes out to +32 and 5.35" bs is +35.

I have some 15x8s for my drag slicks and they have 4.75 backspacing making them ~+15 offset. They stick out a bit. They 17x8s I run on the street have a +35 and fit nice. Up to a 235 width tire, I have 245 and they rub a bit.
    I think the confusion is that backspacing is measured from the inboard flange to the mounting pad. Charts offset is the difference between the wheel C/L and the wheel backspace. The chart is constructed using that formula. (4" backspacing doesn't put the mounting pad in the center of an 8" wheel ... 4.5" does.) This chart tells you what the offset is for a given backspace only.
    Last edited by puppet; 12-23-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Your the gazer.

No, I did drive on them and they felt and handled great... for the two dozen miles I have put on them. 17x8
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict

LOL ... thanks for the info Frank.

turbo addict

I'm running 16x7 +35 Enkies with 225/50/16 Kumho MX tires and even with the rear axle centered I still have slight rubbing on one tire if I hit a particularly nasty bump. I don't know that I'd run 225's on an 8" wheel...235 or 245, but then you WILL have to roll the fender lips and you won't be able to get as much negative camber up front becuase of wheel/strut clearance without having camber plates.

Just some things to think about...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

its possible your rubbing could be due to the camber angle changing so much (like severe body roll but caused by a bump) that the inside top of the tire touches the shock. with that wheel/tire combo you shouldnt be hitting the fender lip no matter what.

where does it touch?

turbo addict

I rub in the rear and only under harsh bump conditions, not body roll. There is very little if any camber change on the rear axle(at least in theory). I am bnot hitting the shock body, only the wheel well lip and only in one place. It seems that the lip is just a tad wider at that point than everywhere else. I have a CS Racer andjustable Panhard bar on the car and it is about as dead nuts centered as one can make it.

I just need to roll the lip a tad, which I will do propperly one day. I used a soft blow mallet the other day when I rotated my tires to try and help it a little, but I didn't want to get too extreme since the paint it old, it was cold outside, and I had nothing to support the outside of the lip. I don't know if it worked yet, but so far I haven't rubbed(easy to tell since the tire that is now in that position has never been there before).

I've never had the issue during hard cornering, only harsh bumps....

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

I would imagine there is some dynamic camber change if you do not have a solid swaybar axle in.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast