Thread: front wheel bearing

boostaholic

front wheel bearing

ok my car has a vibration above like 50-55 and the wheel seems like it has a little play in it

now if it were a wheel bearing would it vibrate all the time? idk?

im kinda mad cuz its written down under the hood that it has a new one on the right side and the passenger side feels bad

i tried looking for missing wheel weights and didnt see any one the outside of the tire

and which is a good brand so i dont have to do it again?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Re: front wheel bearing

I've personally never had a bad wheel bearing cause a vibration in any of my cars... they usually make noise, but i guess its possable if its that worn out. It wouldn't hurt to check the axle nut and see if it's loose or not properly torqued (180ft. lbs) because that will cause premature wheel bearing falure. Next time your driving your car, turn the wheel left and right while at highway speeds and you should here the bearing howl turning it one way or the other.
    My bet is an unbalanced tire. I deal with this problem every year in my Daytona thanks to the highways up here. Have you hit any big pot holes lately? Could also be a seperated tire. Try swapping your wheels front to back and see if the vibration goes away. Have you checked your inner/outer tie rod ends as well, since you said you have play in the wheel?

SKF is a good brand for bearings. What year is your car?
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 12-17-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Hybrid booster

I agree with what he said (above). I've had a couple of bad bearings and they generally howl/grind when you turn. I've also had some CV's do this, but they're generally much louder and vibrate more--

Vibrations at highway speeds are usually bad tires--I've had numerous bad ones over the years on my daily-driver. On the MOPAR aluminum rims, some tire shops use tire-tape to balance them. It's a lead tape they stick to the inside of rim-- Have all four of your tires checked out. Bet you have a bad one.

boostaholic

i thought its a bad tire... i guess i gotta run a pair of my 16" pumpers on the front lol

its a 91 daytona

also i figure while im rebuilding the front end... i assume i need 2 tie rod ends and 2 inners but are left and right interchangeable? i only saw one of each on rock auto... and im guessing i should get spicers but they had a cheap one and a professional grade one any experiences with them?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If the tire has a broken belt in it there will be a lump at least the thickness of your hand off to one side of the tire. Since it doesn't happen until a certain speed I would get the wheels balanced first. It's the cheapest thing you can have done and the most likely cause of your problem.

boostaholic

i wanted to wait till i got my ball joints before i put new tires on and i dont really want to take the wheels off to balance old beat tires to put it on again

i like to try to do as much as i can while its all apart .... cuz i hate working on my car lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Well, if you are already doing front end work and planning on new tires I wouldn't worry about it either.

Hybrid booster

Not sure about the tie-rod ends. Would recommend that you have the final alignment checked out on a machine though--few degrees one way or the other can eat up your tires if you do a lot of highway driving.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Well, if you are already doing front end work and planning on new tires I wouldn't worry about it either.
    +2, live with it until you fix up the front end.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 87glhs View Post
    Not sure about the tie-rod ends. Would recommend that you have the final alignment checked out on a machine though--few degrees one way or the other can eat up your tires if you do a lot of highway driving.
    my alignment is off bad to... i just figure i should get an alignment with everything new because changing any one of those parts will pretty much make me get more than one alignment

i want to put new shocks and steering bearings in to but the cash isnt there