Thread: Slow boost=timing retard???

Garrett booster

Slow boost=timing retard???

So I put a 2.5 auto pcm in my 88 csx-t, which just received a 2.5. It's a manual, but so far the only 2 probs I've had that may be pcm related are the check engine light on from code 32 which is egr and there is none on the car, so I can ignore that, but the annoying problem is slow spooling after high rpm shifts. It has plenty fuel, and the base timing is set to 12. It is graingered at 15lbs, with 42lb injectors and a rrr. The exhaust is 3" with no cat or muffler. The only other thing I can think to mention is that I threaded the wastegate actuator rod and did the little trick on gus's site to try and adjust the boost that way, however I couldn't get it to go low enough, so I tightend it until it stopped the flapper from wiggling and put the grainger on it. That way if there is some kind of line popping off prob, or the boost creep gets too out of control, it stops at 22lbs. I don't know if the computer is pulling the timing and that causes it to spool slower or what. Any ideas? Thanks alot.-Jarrod

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Slow boost=timing retard???

You running the stock BOV? If so, it's possibly leaking...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

No, I'm running a talon BOV, but still something I didn't think to check. I'll dig another out of the garage tomorrow and sap it out. Thanks for the thought. Any others are still very welcome.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You really shouldn't need a rising rate regulator to run that much boost with those injectors. If you just mean the stock 1:1 reg or equivalent, then disregard.

Garrett booster

The rising rate only kicks in if there's alot of creep. It's basically a fail safe.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    So I put a 2.5 auto pcm in my 88 csx-t, which just received a 2.5. It's a manual, but so far the only 2 probs I've had that may be pcm related are the check engine light on from code 32 which is egr and there is none on the car, so I can ignore that, but the annoying problem is slow spooling after high rpm shifts. It has plenty fuel, and the base timing is set to 12. It is graingered at 15lbs, with 42lb injectors and a rrr. The exhaust is 3" with no cat or muffler. The only other thing I can think to mention is that I threaded the wastegate actuator rod and did the little trick on gus's site to try and adjust the boost that way, however I couldn't get it to go low enough, so I tightend it until it stopped the flapper from wiggling and put the grainger on it. That way if there is some kind of line popping off prob, or the boost creep gets too out of control, it stops at 22lbs. I don't know if the computer is pulling the timing and that causes it to spool slower or what. Any ideas? Thanks alot.-Jarrod
    If your wastegate arm is that loose, it will not take much turbine backpressure at all to start opening your wastegate. I would tighten it up some.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=