Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low 12 second Shadow FS

Low 12 second Shadow FS

Edit- Car is SOLD!

Selling my 88 shadow ES 5 speed. Ran a 12.37@111.75 MPH at 22 PSI on pump gas at cecil 2 weeks ago. It's not a 12 second car right now though, has a blown head gasket and turbo, so the price of the car will be adjusted accordingly. The headgasket probably blew because I re-used the mopar bolts about 6 times now. The reason the turbo blew is because it's an Ebay special, the turbine wheel is not made of inconel so is expanding and it's rubbing the housing. The car IS driveable, but not very far distances of course.
    OK onto the car itself first. It's a very solid body, almost no rust. Must have been garaged most of it's life. Sunroof car, it only leaks because the drain holes are clogged up so once it fills up it starts leaking! I fixed the spare tire well leak and hole that was at the bottom of it. There's no carpet behind the rear seat. Typical faded paint, I bought the car when it had an underhood fire so the hood paint is cracked up a little and I had to fix a lot of wires and stuff under the hood. For the interior, there's a few trim pieces missing, headliner saggy, only 2 speakers work but it does have a working infinity CD player. Power locks work good, manual windows, manual seats. Has 6.5'' crab wheels with 205/50/15 tires that ALL need replaced.

Alright onto the mod list-
    commonblock engine with 2.2 cast tbi crank, block was decked, honed, new freeze plugs installed, new oil gally plugs, balance shaft hole plugged, and new clevite intermediate shaft bushings. Crank was turned 10/20 rods/mains.
    Prepped T2 rods from TU, forged Wiseco's standard bore from TU. Pistons clearance is set at .004'', within Wiseco spec.
    782 swirl head with porting done by myself (professional, obviously), stock backcut valves. Valves deshrouded 9mm, bowls and ports worked over for max velocity and flow. Gasket matched on the intakes, slightly smaller than gasket on the exhaust so there's no reversion.
    Ported stock exhaust manifold again done by myself, drilled and tapped for standard T3 flange.
    Ported 2 piece intake with 52mm throttle body, you guessed who ported it by now
    ported water pump housing!
    Number 4 cylinder cooling mod, from the head to the water pump, 3/8'' line
    180 thermostat with hole drilled
    stock 89' TBI roller cam
    Large FMIC from ebay, flows and cools very well. 2.25'' lower pipes, 2.5'' uppers, with modded dsm BOV.
    As stated before, Ebay turbo. Specs are close to a 46 trim TO4E in an real E housing, and .63 stage 3 turbine. Turbine has STD T3 flange and ford style 5 bolt outlet
    Dual stage boost controller setup, flick of a switch for high boost!
    3'' cold air intake, cone filter
    ATP 3'' V band swingvalve, custom downpipe. This setup flows better than TU's 3''.
    TU hybrid Z bracket and wastegate actuator
    Full 3'' exhuast, NO cat and SS round ultraflow muffler at the rear
    A555 trans with chrome moly plate (shifts good no grinding)
    TU 4 puck ceramic clutch with blue PP (4000-5000 miles on it)
    New steel flywheel from NAPA
    Unequal axles, no noticeable torque steer over equal setup and this setup is stronger...however both axles have a leaking boot. The drivers side has been leaking for a few months now, passenger side just started when I was at the track last time 2 weeks ago.
    Polybushings bobble strut and front mount, new stock side mount and tranny mount
    walbro 255 HP fuel pump
    TU fuel rail
    +40's and 3 bar MAP sensor, socketed SMEC with chip extender and my own cal
    Dawes A/F gauge
    Westach EGT that kinda works intermittantly last time I installed the new head so I think it just needs a new probe (it's $50 and I can show you where to buy one).
    Autometer boost gauge 30/30 mounted in stock location
    Air shocks in the rear to help with squat off the line
    Garden tractor battery, 340 cranking amps. Turns the car over without effort even in 20 degree weather, would never know that it's a midget battery and it only weighs less than 10 pounds.
    1 1/4'' swaybar from shelbyZ daytona, polybushings, and it's shimmed for posi burnouts (works good)

Well thats what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more. There's a few things it needs, but the car is EASILY capable of 11's even with the full interior on race gas and a few more PSI boost as long as you get a decent hybrid turbo on there. I had a 1.83 60 foot time with 22'' MT slicks, get some 24.5's on there and get it into the 1.70's, strip the rest of the interior, increase the boost and get deep into the 11's!

Located near Harrisburg, PA. Price is $1200 for the car, well worth every penny even needing a new turbo. Not the cleanest car or best looking car around for sure, but it's fast. Thats all I wanted. If you want the slicks I'll sell them with the car for an extra $100, they still have 1/2 tread and tons of life.
    Tons of pics here, I have pics of the engine build too so I'll post them first-

Last edited by moparzrule; 02-07-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Re: Low 12 second Shadow FS

And some more pics, BTW the V band clamp takes 20 seconds to take off versus however long it takes you to cut off the spring bolts associated with the stock downpipe setup

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Why are you selling it?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I got what I wanted out of it, I decided to get out of turbo dodge's about 6 months ago but I wanted my 12 second pass first.
    And I could use the money. If it doesn't sell for full asking price I'm keeping it for now, maybe go for 11's in the spring and try to sell again. It's worth a lot more than $1200 just in parts and I'm not giving it away.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Gotcha and yeah, worth that money and more,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Just a quicky add up of the parts, I added up prices as if I were to part the car out with realistic quick selling prices, about 1/2 the cost of new. Total was $2200. So if anybody wants to buy it and part it out, make a profit, be my guest.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Sad to see you getting out of the hobby. But good luck in future endeavors! Don't become a stranger to the community.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Thanks Mike. I'll still be around, probably will keep on porting.

BTW, I know ruthie was getting vid's all day, happen to look over them and see if my run was on there? I would really appreciate it! My 12 second pass was against my buddy's 77 Trans am, I was in the right lane.

Also wanted to mention a spare new single Wiseco goes with the car in case there would ever be an ''accident'', thats a $125 value there too. But I've put these pistons through the ringer and they've held up flawless. I'd say it would take some serious detonation to make these pistons break.

turbo addict

Wow. Super deal. Why is it that im too poor to have 1200 bucks laying around? Oh yea. Im a teacher.

ANy interest in trading for a S/C? Running, driving, on the road, but needs some work.

Well, tempting, but I'll have to pass. I like SC's, but I have a family now. The only trade I would be remotely interested in is a turbo 5 speed mini, or a pop up camper. A mini is the only vehicle I could probably swing with the wife explaining how it's functional for the family LOL.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Well, tempting, but I'll have to pass. I like SC's, but I have a family now. The only trade I would be remotely interested in is a turbo 5 speed mini, or a pop up camper. A mini is the only vehicle I could probably swing with the wife explaining how it's functional for the family LOL.
    Figured as much.....im actually glad you declined because I would have to explain to my wife why I had to drive to PA to trade my working car for a broken car.

Hehe, yeah I understand LOL.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Any interest in trading for a S/C? Running, driving, on the road, but needs some work.
    What are you looking to get for the SC?

Thanks
    T

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
    What are you looking to get for the SC?

Thanks
    T
    Well, I suppose if it all worked out where I could still buy this shadow, I would like to get 1300, because I would have done a straight trade. Otherwise, I had it in the back of my mind that my bottom line would have been 1500 as is.....1850 with a spare motor and A520 trans I had planned on swapping in.

Car needs interior work....seats are in good shape. Carpet is crappy. Headliner is MIA, but the board is still there. Sunvisors need to be bolted in and little trim things installed, etc. "Mark" was the previous owner and welded in new floors and did a real nice job of it. He had the head off to do a HG on it and noticed the cylinder walls were a bit pitted. And over the summer it was blowing some oil out the breather. It seems to have subsided a lot after I added some lucas oil and the car still runs strong. I bought a spare motor for it anyways though thinking it would be nice to have the 520 trans as well.....one of those "ill get to it one day" project. I think you could drive the car as-is for a while....but who knows. Car also has a T2 conversion, SRT-4 IC, MP computer, BOV, etc. For this kind of money, its a nice little charger. Obviously, its a bit of a project too though. A driveable project.
    Last edited by 1FastCSX289; 12-07-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Come on Troy you know you want another L body

turbo addict

Wrong coast.

Sorry Harry!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Thanks Mike. I'll still be around, probably will keep on porting.

BTW, I know ruthie was getting vid's all day, happen to look over them and see if my run was on there? I would really appreciate it! My 12 second pass was against my buddy's 77 Trans am, I was in the right lane.
    Sorry, Matt, I looked through the vids a few times, but I didn't see any of your runs. There was a period in the video when it looks like the play and stop buttons were confused and there was alot of footage of feet and pavement.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast