Thread: Is this a T3 pressure plate? Work well w/ 4 puck clutch?

Is this a T3 pressure plate? Work well w/ 4 puck clutch?

I've got a used pressure plate on my hands. Previous owner told me it's a T3 pressure plate but how do I know for sure? It's got some numbers and letters on it like you can see in the pics below. Anyone know if this is really a T3 plate?? Also I've got a 4 puck clutch to go with it. Is the 4 puck clutch a good combo w/ the T3 plate? Hold up to a mildly modded T2 daytona?

Re: Is this a T3 pressure plate? Work well w/ 4 puck clutch?

I'm not sure about identifying the PP, but I've been wondering about the TIII/4 puck combo myself. In theory, since the clamping force is distributed over less area with a 4 puck, it should hold better with the trade-off being a shorter life. It seems to me that the combo should work well, but I'd like to hear from somebody that's tried it.

turbo addict

I use a 3 puck, but I have a 3300# TU plate that you guys cant use.
    The ceramic pucks will eat your flywheel/pressure plate more then they wear.

t3 plates should have thicker fingers on the diaphragm. They dont make the tIII diaphragm anymore.

The cover is going to be the same so the numbers probabaly wont help you. Not really any way to tell.

I have a real sachs t3 plate here that I could measure finger thickness on. I wish someone would redo the straps on it so I could use it again.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

+1 on the puck clutches eating the flywheel and plate

The T-III plate and a 4-puck clutch are a decent combo. Ran that in my Shadow for a while, 5k rpm launches on slicks.

No idea if the one pictured is a T-II or T-III or not, the only differences are in the diaphram spring. What does the clamping plate side look like? If it is worn or blued, it may not be a good candidate.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

The outside diameter of the T3 plate is slightly smaller to read the pickups on the flywheel.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

With my upgrade to the SRT4 engine I will probably be selling my Kevlar/Blue plate setup very shortly.

It has about 50-100 miles on it because I have just grown tired of the 8V and want to go with the SRT and I am not sure the Kevlar will hold the power as well as a ceramic will.

My setup is for a small spline tranny if you are interested. I also have the matching flywheel that is machined extra smooth specifically for the kevlar disc.

That way I can atleast get some of my money back and put it toward the ceramic/yellow plate setup.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

If you know of a clutch shop in your area, have them put it on the clamp force measurer thingy. That'll get you some info you want on that PP IF it's in good condition where it needs to be. The fingers look kind of grooved from that angle of your pick.

turbo addict

That's a T2/3 plate. Sachs used their same pp for the true T2 as the T3 ... was told this by Sachs themselves. Outside diameters have to be the same otherwise this blows the swapping covers theory out of the water.

Anyway, I have a couple of each (known OEM) taken right out of each engine/trans series ... they are identical in every way.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    That's a T2/3 plate. Sachs used their same pp for the true T2 as the T3 ... was told this by Sachs themselves. Outside diameters have to be the same otherwise this blows the swapping covers theory out of the water.

Anyway, I have a couple of each (known OEM) taken right out of each engine/trans series ... they are identical in every way.
    I heard the same thing from my clutch guy.