Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V6 swaps anyone?

Re: V6 swaps anyone?

I always wanted to do a mitsu 2.5 V6 swap. The motor is 160hp and is suppose to bolt to an A543 transimisson.

That was until I started reading what the avenger crowd started doing. The are swapping in mitsu 3.0s, 3.5s and 3.8s into avengers and eclispes.

Then this dude showed up

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9830
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    I always wanted to do a mitsu 2.5 V6 swap. The motor is 160hp and is suppose to bolt to an A543 transimisson.

That was until I started reading what the avenger crowd started doing. The are swapping in mitsu 3.0s, 3.5s and 3.8s into avengers and eclispes.

Then this dude showed up

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9830
    According to sean dalton, that motor is a turd. Guaranteed to run slower then a 12 valve.
    the 2.5L has no torque and then also cant breath in the high rpms. lol.

Those 24v sohc heads just arn't great.

They sell 3.5 and 3.8L DOHC and also a 3.8L 24v sohc mivec head that flows 360cfm with minor port work on stock valves. People have done 300 at the wheels (not crank) on the 3.8 mivec with a few mods. Imagine boost.
    3.3L dodge probably has more chances of 300hp then a weakened 3.8L dodge :P

3.8L mitsu annihilates the dodge pushrod and it actually bolts up to the a543.

I want to get the AWD working for us so that we have a good platform to bother usign all that power/torque in.

Holy crap. 3.8L turbocharged variable cam timing motor with 9000 rpm capabilities and AWD in one of our light K based cars.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 12-14-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

3.8 mitsu annihilates 3.8 dodge in many many ways.

1. MUCH harder to find
    2. more expensive
    3. less reliable (too many 200+k 3.3/3.8 minivans on the road to argue this)
    4. harder to work on
    5. much bigger/more cramped in engine bay
    6. must fabricate mounts
    7.slightly more stock power
    8. vastly more power potential on stock parts

honestly, if you compare the highest non-mivec ratings (cuz even if a mivec head v6 fits under the hood...... you cant run it without work and higher cost$$) of the mitsu and dodge 3.8s, its not too far apart.

i think its apples to oranges. I know the mitsu has much higher potential, but for all intents and purposes its not any easier and probably harder than the dohc 6g72 swap that everyone asks about and hardly anyone has done. As a practical matter i think the low cost and relative ease of swapping the dodge motor will find more takers in an audience like this forum, heh.

the 5spd thing is a big plus, for sure. people here are very anti-604. after a few people build badass 604 cars, everyone will jump bandwagons like they were never on the last one but for now... the 543 ease is probly the biggest plus for turbo-dodge people who have no preexisting v6 loyalties.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

id love to mate my 3.8L with the T850 from a stratus r/t 2.7L. that would be pretty fun.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

there are a lot of motors that can be bolted up to the dodge 3.0 drivetrain. ANY 6G7x motor (2.5/3.0/3.5/3.8) even other ones such as the hyundai tiburon 2.7 are supposed to bolt to the trans as well.

there will probably be fitment issues with the 3.5/3.8 as they have taller decks and the MIVEC heads are bigger than the normal 24v SOHC heads. no one (that i know of) has done anything with swapping the 3.8 for a few reasons ATM such as: Cost, drive by wire throttle, returnless fuel system to name a few.

I personally stayed with the 3.0 because it is oversquare, with a VERY strong bottom end and can potentially rev to high heaven. With a supercharger project in the initial stages, there is a lot of potential in the 24v 3.0. Currently im spinning to 7000rpms and putting down close to 200whp without anything more than a poorly tuned Megasquirt, headers/2.5 exhaust, and a CAI on the motor.

the potential of boosted 6G7x motors in the TD cars is quite high and opens up avenues for more POWER

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

and with the awd swaps underway, we may be able to put that power down on the street as well.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

thats my eventual goal - supercharged 24v 3.0, 5 speed AWD P-body

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

^ just the thought of that is amazing.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

the 09 i think has a 4.0, not an inline, its the same as 3.3/3.8, 250hp lol

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

no, thats another good idea noone has done, but its not the same as a 3.3/3.8. its based off the old sohc 24v 3.5 dodge, which itself was based on the bottom end dimensions of the 3.3. the 3.5 has a 3.3's stroke and a 3.8's bore.

Anyway those motors (any 3.5/4.0) are a ------- rocking motor compared to the 12 valve 3.0 and 3.3/3.8, and in fact, IF anyone would crack the sbec code for the 3.3/3.8, you could hook it up to 3.3/3.8 electronics and tranny, make a passenger motor mount, and run it. Its a strong stock motor. Uncork a 1st gen 3.5s intake and exhaust and you're already over 230 hp easy. 2nd gens rated 250hp stock with worse exhaust manifolds and a few more rpm. My 97 3.5 intrepid with mods would run stock 4.6 mustangs when it ran right, and the car weighed like 3400 too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12