Thread: Where to measure to determine V band size?

Where to measure to determine V band size?

I have a holset HY35 turbo. I need to get a steel V band flange for the exhaust side. But, I have no idea what size. I think 4 inches. Where should I measure?

Thanks!

turbo addict

Re: Where to measure to determine V band size?

You have a 4 inch vband (I ordered my vband from carquest/parts plus). You measure where the smalled point of the band touches. You'll need a 4" reducer or 90* as well

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

The Holset is not 4inch v-band. The stock size Holset is about 3.8X". A 4-inch will work but it wont seal correctly as the clamp can't tighten all the way. The DP will still spin on the turbo. Best option is to get the factory cast turndown, cut it and weld the DP to that. Or, if you have access to a machine shop, take the 4" and machine it down to the proper size. Right now I have the 4" vband on my car but i'm waiting for my cast piece to get here so I can fix it. You can get that factory piece and clamp for 50$ from Texas core supply.

Here is a pic of TURBOSHAD's dp that has the turndwn welded. Hope he doesn't mind

cool- I gotta make one of those for a 2.4/holset setup.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    The Holset is not 4inch v-band. The stock size Holset is about 3.8X". A 4-inch will work but it wont seal correctly as the clamp can't tighten all the way. The DP will still spin on the turbo. Best option is to get the factory cast turndown, cut it and weld the DP to that. Or, if you have access to a machine shop, take the 4" and machine it down to the proper size. Right now I have the 4" vband on my car but i'm waiting for my cast piece to get here so I can fix it. You can get that factory piece and clamp for 50$ from Texas core supply.

Here is a pic of TURBOSHAD's dp that has the turndwn welded. Hope he doesn't mind
    Well...maybe I got the right piece by accident..but the 4" I ordered is right on, so I'm going to have to disagree....did I mention that the catalog listed it as 4"? oh, and it was about 15$, flange and clamp, listed for "holset" and "cummings"
    Last edited by t3rse; 12-02-2008 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    Well...maybe I got the right piece by accident..but the 4" I ordered is right on, so I'm going to have to disagree....did I mention that the catalog listed it as 4"? oh, and it was about 15$, flange and clamp, listed for "holset" and "cummings"
    where did you get it? I need one too thanks.
    edit carquest parts plus

Well, if its listed for the Holset than thats great. I am just telling you from personal experience since I have the said turbo and 4" vband on my car currently. I am skeptical of the quality of a vband and clamp that cost 15$. Please let us know how it works out.

I bought a 3.75 v-band from these guys;

http://store.airflo.com/exhaust-clamps.html

They have more parts than listed on their website. They were kind enough to e-mail me a parts catalog which I looked through until I found the sizes I needed (for a hy-35w as well) I don't think I still have the part number, but I'll look tomorrow.

There shipping is expensive, but they were helpful. I also ordered a v-band flange from them and it does not work well. they have flanged pipe and sold me the flange that is matched to the clamp I bought, but it does not work with the turbo as it is too thin. I am using a spacer now.

I would suggest you getting a thicker flange, like what "TURBOSHAD's" looks like. Don't know where to get that. Also, check out your local parts stores for mandrel bends. I found in a Autozone exhaust parts catalog (the paper things they hide behind the counter) part numbers for mandrel bends. I got a short radius 3" 180* for $15 + free shipping. Their catalog also lists part numbers for short radius 4" 90* bends (mandrel bent stuff!).

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

could try atpturbo.com, they have a lot not listed as well.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

rx2mazda is correct that it isn't quite a 4" but any exhuast shop should be able to get you one if you specify it is for a Cummins diesel. Just pick a year and model that the turbo was on. Mine came from an 06 High Output and should be the same as any HY35.

TurbododgePirate, I know you PMed me about the flange and this thread reminds me that I embarassingly forgot to get back to you (Sorry ) . I don't know if you came up with anything yet. I could post a drawing for you when I get back in the office on Monday. Making them one at a time is a little unfeasable but if there is interest by others it may be reasonable to spin off 10 or so. Then I could just pay one of the guys in the shop to do it and not have to find the time.

DJ

Jackson and I were talking and he said he was going to machine some up. I love this turbo and I think that it is very well suited for our application. That being said, I think its worth it to make some just for this app. The cost would worry me though since the process we were talking about involved taking a 4inch v-band(60$ with clamp)and machining it down to the correct size. It might be cheaper to just get a salvage, stock turndown/clamp and cut/weld it. DJ, if you do make some from scratch and could keep the cost down that would be awesome, lmk. Then again, this turbo is so much cheaper than a Garrett, couldn't we just suck it up and pay

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I forgot I said I would post this incase anyone was interested. If it turns out not to be big enough I can email it to anyone. I ended up doing some tapers on the center. Really what matters are the ODs since that is what mates to the turbo and the 4" pipe. It would be good to have both handy when turning the piece to make sure everthing is snug. I think I had to turn the OD that goes inside the 4" just a hair more than the diagram.

DJ