Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 555 bearing carnage

555 bearing carnage

Anybody know what the part # is for this bearing? Timken, BCA, whatever. Anything I can cross reference. It's the front bearing (bellhousing side) on the main shaft? Intermediate shaft? I'm not sure what the proper name for it is. The one that's not the input shaft... yeah, that's it!

Also, I can't really tell if it's supposed to have an inner race or use the shaft as the inner race. The shaft is pretty chewed up, but if there's an inner race that goes on it, I should be able to clean it up with some emery cloth. If it's intended to use the shaft itself as an inner race, then I'm going to have to turn the shaft down and make a collar to press on it.

Thanks,

Tony

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: 555 bearing carnage

It is a SET4 bearing. That will apply to almost any bearing. I would either have the shaft repaired or do the collar repair like you said. It has an inner race, but that shaft is pretty bad.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

boostaholic

What were you doing to that poor thing......
    and I thought that you couldnt get bearings anymore.

I know you can get input shaft bearings. I just rebuilt my 525 and and the 555 uses the same ones. I do know there are certain gears that are hard to find.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    It is a SET4 bearing. That will apply to almost any bearing. I would either have the shaft repaired or do the collar repair like you said. It has an inner race, but that shaft is pretty bad.

I just looked up a set4 to price it and they're showing a tapered bearing. This is (was) a straight roller bearing. I think the set4 is the right one for the input shaft, but I'm dealing with the other shaft (whatever it's called).

Thanks,

Tony

Damn it, sorry Tony. I once again missed part of your post. I had input shaft on the brain. Maybe I have been thinking about sex too much, well not too much...lol.

With that being said, you'll have to use a collar on the shaft. No inner race.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    I'm not sure what happened. That trans suffered a diff bearing failure a few thousand miles ago and was apart to get new ones. Maybe some contamination from that that got missed?

Damn it, sorry Tony. I once again missed part of your post. I had input shaft on the brain. Maybe I have been thinking about sex too much, well not too much...lol.

With that being said, you'll have to use a collar on the shaft. No inner race.
    LOL.
    I wonder if they make a repair bearing specifically for that? The reason I ask is that we've got a disassembled 568 in John's basement and it has some sort of inner race or collar pressed onto the shaft in that spot with the same brand name (KOYO?) as the bearing stamped into the collar. The odd thing is that it didn't seem like anybody had been into the 568.

Tony

Ok,
    I think I've got it figured out. It looks like the pre-1990 transmissions used the shaft as the inner race and the 1990+ transmissions had a collar that went on the shaft and served as an inner race. That explains the difference between the shaft out of the 555 and the one out of the 568. So, that brings me to a new question. Would the bearing for a 568 fit if I had the shaft turned to take the collar? If the OD and thickness are right, then that looks like it might be the simplest solution.
    I'd measure the two bearings to compare, if there was enough left of the 555 bearing to measure.

Thanks,
    Tony

I replaced all my bearings. The input shaft has common taper bearings, which are easy to get. The output shaft (I think it's called that) has a special bearing on the bellhousing side, which I could only get through Mopar, couldn't find an after market one.
    My shaft was a little bit worse than your's. It's a bad bearing design, the rollers ride on the shaft, not on a bearing collar like a regular bearing. This is the reason I use some gear lube in my 520, 2 litres Synchromesh, 1 litre 80/90 gear lube. The car vibrated something crazy down the freeway. like a wheel was gonna fall off...

later Dick Westerhof

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinhard View Post
    18psi and I beat on it. I didn't drive it long once I heard the noise which sounded like I was dragging my exhaust,parked the car and "temporarily" put an a413 in. The car got traded off with the auto in it and the 555 ended up with the collection of parts in my basement.

The other shaft is the intermediate shaft. Instead of an output shaft, we use the transfer gear.
    Bryan

So we need to find out what the bearing numbers are so someone can have them crossed to find another one that will work. Just need to call a bearing distributer in the area and ask them what they can find. We used to do this at the plant once in a while.
    Bryan

boostaholic

If that trans is an 89 I got the shaft and bearing to fix it. Hows $20. + shipping sound ? Than particular bearing is somwewhat hard to come by, the one I have is a good used one. These parts came out of a good trans I rebuilt into an Hybird with an OBX.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

I hate to speak for Tony but yeah the tranny came out of an 89 but the manufacture date on the tag is like 11/10/87. I figured the 89's were probably released mid 88 so it was probably the original tranny

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    I replaced all my bearings. The input shaft has common taper bearings, which are easy to get. The output shaft (I think it's called that) has a special bearing on the bellhousing side, which I could only get through Mopar, couldn't find an after market one.
    My shaft was a little bit worse than your's. It's a bad bearing design, the rollers ride on the shaft, not on a bearing collar like a regular bearing. This is the reason I use some gear lube in my 520, 2 litres Synchromesh, 1 litre 80/90 gear lube. The car vibrated something crazy down the freeway. like a wheel was gonna fall off...

Might give some thicker lube a try this time. Any trouble with shifting on a cold morning with that mix?
    So we need to find out what the bearing numbers are so someone can have them crossed to find another one that will work. Just need to call a bearing distributer in the area and ask them what they can find. We used to do this at the plant once in a while.
    There used to be a place in Parkersburg called Bearings Inc. If it was still open, I'm sure they could find something just based on measurements. I'm still kind of curious to see if the OD and thickness is the same with the 568 bearing. If it is, and the 555 intermediate shaft could be turned down so that the inner race fits then that would probably work. Assuming the 568 intermediate shaft bearing isn't NS1 also.

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    If that trans is an 89 I got the shaft and bearing to fix it. Hows $20. + shipping sound ? Than particular bearing is somwewhat hard to come by, the one I have is a good used one. These parts came out of a good trans I rebuilt into an Hybird with an OBX.
    You take Paypal? If that will work with this trans, I'm all over it! How fast do you think you can get it shipped out? Not sure how long it would take to ship, but ideally I'd like to put the trans back together next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by jre97 View Post
    I hate to speak for Tony but yeah the tranny came out of an 89 but the manufacture date on the tag is like 11/10/87. I figured the 89's were probably released mid 88 so it was probably the original tranny
    I bet you're right. Hope so anyway. A new (used) shaft will solve the chipped tooth on the transfer gear as well.
    Last edited by Tony Hanna; 12-01-2008 at 05:05 AM.

turbo addict

Been there, done that.

Looks familiar. Any idea what caused it?

boostaholic

If the tag says 87 the shaft I got won't work. 89 is a trans all by itself. 87-88 trans are the same. A loose diff can cause the damage to the shaft bearing, I learned that the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    If the tag says 87 the shaft I got won't work. 89 is a trans all by itself. 87-88 trans are the same. A loose diff can cause the damage to the shaft bearing, I learned that the hard way.
    I bet you're right. The diff bearings in that trans had failed and been replaced. It's a shame the one you have won't work. I guess I need to figure out where to go from here. Thanks for trying anyhow.

Tony, if you can get some numbers off the bearing(not yours but a known good 89 yr model), I'll check with some places around here and see what I can come up with.
    Bryan

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast