Thread: what y/m/m k frame do i need?????

Hybrid booster

what y/m/m k frame do i need?????

CAR:

'86 lancer with a a555

so i hopped a curb awhile back and i'm pretty sure i bent my k-frame...

i need to do the frt 11in. disks as well, and thought i'd try and get a k frame w/ duel pivot ctrl arms and the front disks already on it.

I'm gunna get my parts from the junkyard but i dont know the exact models that i can use...
    if anyone knows the years i'm looking for and if the brake setup from the van is a bolt up application that would be helpful (theres something i gota do to the hubs right??!?!?!?)

TIA

l8r

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: what y/m/m k frame do i need?????

I think the easiest thing to do is get the whole front suspension off of a 91+ shadow with cast arms. You will just need the calipers and brackets off of a 93+? minivan with the larger bolt pattern along with new disks to have 11" brakes. I would want a 24mm MC to go with that too. I have the front suspension out of a 93 Shadow in my 600, and I am happy with the swap although I haven't driven the car yet.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Any 91 and up car will have the correct k-member and control arms. The R/T's and GTC's had the biggest sway bars.

For 11 inch brakes, either find a GTC or R/T or find a Minivan with the large bolt pattern, rob the calipers and caliper brackets, then get new rotors and rebuilt calipers for an R/T or GTC.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I converted my '87 Shelby Lancer to the later K-frame/cast control arms and 11" brakes. I used everything from a '91 Lebaron GTC convertible I found in the junkyard. Then upon installation into my SL on I found that the one of the control arms and knuckles were bent, and possibly the K-frame as well. So I replaced the K-frame/control arms again with units from a '92 Shadow America with no problem whatsoever. Everything was a bolt on and I use a rack and pinion for a '91 Spirit R/T now as well.

Ooh, that reminds me, you'll have to drill the rack mounting bolts out as they are a larger diameter bolt.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

This needs to be a sticky. Get a 89/90 kmember with stamped arms. They're lighter and everything bolts right up to your current spindles. This is advantageous as it gives you time to look for the 11" front brakes setup. You can get the 11" lightweight (more weight savings) off certain vans up to 1990. Just look for the molded in brake adapter. You'll need to change out the hub/bearing to a car unit. Also if you hop a curb again, and what may be your case here is control arm will bend and not break (or live and break something else). Also your sway bar or any bar from 1984-1990 will bolt right in. I only had to slightly hone 1 bolt in my steering rack, the other 3 went in fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    This needs to be a sticky. Get a 89/90 kmember with stamped arms. They're lighter and everything bolts right up to your current spindles. This is advantageous as it gives you time to look for the 11" front brakes setup. You can get the 11" lightweight (more weight savings) off certain vans up to 1990. Just look for the molded in brake adapter. You'll need to change out the hub/bearing to a car unit. Also if you hop a curb again, and what may be your case here is control arm will bend and not break (or live and break something else). Also your sway bar or any bar from 1984-1990 will bolt right in. I only had to slightly hone 1 bolt in my steering rack, the other 3 went in fine.
    So you're saying that some of the vans came ready to have the 89' 11" big brakes bolted on? What should I be looking for there other than the obvious? I would like to do this with my shadow, but I haven't been able to find an 89' big brake car.

turbo addict

1990 and older vans. Most of the vans in my J-yard already have the wheel removed so I just walk around till I find one with the molded in caliper bracket. I've seen them as old as 87. Swap the hub and the rotor to small bolt pattern stuff and you're good to go for the front brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    So you're saying that some of the vans came ready to have the 89' 11" big brakes bolted on? What should I be looking for there other than the obvious? I would like to do this with my shadow, but I haven't been able to find an 89' big brake car.
    90 and older vans with the large bolt pattern had 11 inch brakes ala Shelby Z cars. The caliper ears are molded into the knuckle.

1990 and older vans. Most of the vans in my J-yard already have the wheel removed so I just walk around till I find one with the molded in caliper bracket. I've seen them as old as 87. Swap the hub and the rotor to small bolt pattern stuff and you're good to go for the front brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    90 and older vans with the large bolt pattern had 11 inch brakes ala Shelby Z cars. The caliper ears are molded into the knuckle.
    Thanks guys. This will be the hot ticket for the Shadow since it came with the 90 dual pivot arms and frame.

Hybrid booster

whoooppss...sry i kinda forgot i made this thread

lots of good info yall...i really appreciate it

does anyone have a picture of what i'm gunna be looking for???

if you have a pic of the later k frame and big brakes it would make finding it at the junk yard alot easier for me

thx
    Last edited by 86trbolancer; 12-09-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Hybrid booster

pics????

Its simple, look for cast control arms, not stamped, and look for a dual pivot, not like the earlier ones that have a strut rod going back to the K-member. The caliper is stamped with a 15, 14 is 10 inch brakes.

www.polybushings.com has pics of the differences.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 86trbolancer View Post
    pics????
    Did you decide what kmember you're gonna use? The 89/90 stuff?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Its simple, look for cast control arms, not stamped, and look for a dual pivot, not like the earlier ones that have a strut rod going back to the K-member. The caliper is stamped with a 15, 14 is 10 inch brakes.

www.polybushings.com has pics of the differences.

SWEET thanks for pointing those out to me!!!!

Did you decide what kmember you're gonna use? The 89/90 stuff?

yeah i wanna use the 89/90 stuff...seems like its the strongest option available.

and i'm gunna kill 4 birds with one stone when i get it too...my ball joints are bad(hopefully the used JY ones will be ok), i pretty sure my kframe/ctrl arm(s) are bent from me hopping a curb once, i get the pivot setup arms, and big brakes to go with the 11in vented rears i already have...oh maybe its gunna be 5 birds if i can get one with a bigger sway bar!!!! and of course i'm gunna use polybushings.com bushings(thanks JOHNNY i've ordered from you before ur stuff is amazing!!!!)

wow that just made me really happy ta think about!!!!!