Thread: '91 'Baron 'vert Driver's door kaput!

Unhappy '91 'Baron 'vert Driver's door kaput!

Has anyone ever repaired a lower hinge mount? The entire lower hinge on the driver's door on my '91 is about to separate from the door - it's not coming unbolted, rather it's tearing off (leaving a hole where the hinge used to bolt).

I don't know if it can be welded and repaired with new hinge, or if I'm better off getting a new door.

The car is a monochrome white GTC if anyone has a good/cheap door around Northern IL.

TT

turbo addict

Re: '91 'Baron 'vert Driver's door kaput!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Has anyone ever repaired a lower hinge mount? The entire lower hinge on the driver's door on my '91 is about to separate from the door - it's not coming unbolted, rather it's tearing off (leaving a hole where the hinge used to bolt).

I don't know if it can be welded and repaired with new hinge, or if I'm better off getting a new door.

The car is a monochrome white GTC if anyone has a good/cheap door around Northern IL.

TT
    I had this happen to my 87 Shelby Z years ago. I ended up having to take it to a body shop to get it fixed. They welded in some extra bracing and the door was better than new after that.

Garrett booster

take the fender off, hammer the hinge back in where it should be, weld all around it=good as new, common problem due to heavy doors, jeep cherokees had this happen alot too

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Common on a lot of our cars actually. I had to re-weld a hinge on my CSX-T, and my old roomate had to do it on both of his Dakotas. Pretty common for a lot of the spot welds to break apart as well.

Hmm, maybe I should check the door on my Daytona just to be sure . . .

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbotoilet View Post
    take the fender off, hammer the hinge back in where it should be, weld all around it=good as new, common problem due to heavy doors, jeep cherokees had this happen alot too
    No kidding. first time I took the drivers door off to rebuild the hinges. about dropped the door. had no idea these things were so f'ing heavy for being a 4dr sedan

I could not imagine a 2dr P, G or J body door's weight

and mine are cracked as well. hopefully that hobart 187 can handle it

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

G-bodies are a handfull, especially fully assembled (glass, motors, etc.). When I did the CSX-T, it was in the body shop at school, so I had a nifty cart to lower the door down. When I stripped a Daytona parts car this past spring, I left the doors closed, unbolted the hinges from the bulkhead, and then lifted the handles to unlatch them and muscled the doors down.

Glad I was wearing steel toe boots, I'll say that.

Hybrid booster

J-convertible doors, loaded with power locks and mirrors are hefty. I still wrangled two of those off a junkyard car and on to a wheelbarrow, then in to the back of my Hyundai Santa Fe to take them home... myself. Probably won't be doing that again :P