View Poll Results: Which will have more engine wear at 500whp with the same displacement?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 500whp 8v SOHC 2.2L four banger

18 43.90%
  • 500whp 16v DOHC 2.2L four banger

12 29.27%
  • All things being equal they will be 100% identical wear - fence sitters vote here!

11 26.83%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss-engine wear-8 valve vs 16 valve!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Talking Discuss-engine wear-8 valve vs 16 valve!

Don aka 4cefedomni was over today and we were chatting about his desire to build a bulletproof 8 valve engine, of course, I say go 16 valve,

I say that if you have 2 engines, both making 500 whp, the 8 valve at 30 psi and the 16 valve at 20 psi, that the 16 valve has less forces being exterted on the crank/rods/pistons thus will have an easier life and reduced engine wear.

He says it doesn't matter, 500whp is 500whp and engine wear/stress will be the same.

Discuss!
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 11-22-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Re: Discuss-engine wear at different boost-8 valve vs 16 valve!

I'd say 16v running less boost.

You should make a poll
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Re: Discuss-engine wear-8 valve vs 16 valve!

I can't, too late.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

hp is hp.... BUT... you have things like the 8v being a bit more prone to detonation.

Mostly... an 8v 2.2 vs a 16v 2.2 will make more torque than the 16v down low, and that can "cause more wear" (actually...breakage)

On the flip-side.... the 16v will rev higher, and those revs can lead to failures as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    hp is hp.... BUT... you have things like the 8v being a bit more prone to detonation.

Mostly... an 8v 2.2 vs a 16v 2.2 will make more torque than the 16v down low, and that can "cause more wear" (actually...breakage)

On the flip-side.... the 16v will rev higher, and those revs can lead to failures as well.
    What about the 10 psi pressure differential?

Bah, either way the same volume of air is getting into the cylinders making the same bang so with identicle dyno charts they both will be exerting the same force on the crank. The 16 valve is just more efficient so it takes less boost to get the same volume into the cyllinders. the turbo would probably wear out alot faster.
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Quote Originally Posted by 4cefedomni View Post
    Bah, either way the same volume of air is getting into the cylinders making the same bang so with identicle dyno charts they both will be exerting the same force on the crank. The 16 valve is just more efficient so it takes less boost to get the same volume into the cyllinders. the turbo would probably wear out alot faster.
    The turbo on the 16 valve?

turbo addict

I believe that 8v needs the extra 10# to make the same CYLINDER PRESSURE that the 16v makes due to better flowing head (more cfm).
    With the cylinder pressures and rpm the same the load should be same on the piston,rod,bearings for those hp torque readings.

Now a 16v at 30- 40 # boost

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

first, horsepower is simply torque over time, so they are nearly identical. Because of the formula for determining horsepower, when someone talks about a high torque motor, that simply means the torque peak is below 5252 rpm. Conversely, when speaking of a high horsepower motor, the torque peak is above 5252 rpm.

Now, to produce torque, the piston has to push down on the rod and the rod has to push on the crank. The force applied to the top of the piston determines the power output of the crank.

Let's consider a 400 hp motor. Each of our pistons now has to produce 100 horsepower. That 100 hp force to push the piston down requires a set amount of oxygen and fuel. No more, no less. In order to get that air/fuel mixture into the cylinder, we either use massive force on a low flowing head or moderate force on a high flowing head. Either way, we introduce the same air and same fuel. We produce the same forces.

400 hp = 400 hp.

Now, with that being said, the other variable is piston speed. Remember that ever revolution, your piston stops twice. It accelerates up the bore, decelerates and stops. Then it accelerates down the bore, decelerates and stops. The higher the RPM, the more stressful this starting and stoping is on the rods, rod bearings, crank, etc.

So, if one 400 hp motor makes that power at 5000 rpm and the other needs 7000 rpm to do it, then the first one will live a longer life, all things being equal.

A rough example of the last statement: My old Ford has a 385 ci V8. I launch at 5600 rpm and I shift between 8000 and 8500 depending on the track. Friend of mine has a 540 ci engine. Launches at 3500 and shifts at 6000 - 6500. I launch where he shifts. Guess which one needs less maintenance?

turbo addict

Masi 16v with custom pistons and longer rods has a better rod ratio and will wear less

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The turbo on the 16 valve?
    no the 8v turbo cause it has to boost high
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Hybrid booster

What about the 10 psi pressure differential?
    Given a perfect tune up on each engine and all the matching components for the task at hand.....I don't think there would be any additional wear in either engine

The turbo might be a different story

chew on this simon, the 16 valve motors have an extra cam to turn so I would think that would mean it would need to make extra power to make up for that on the dyno. Thus the 16 valve motor would need higher cylinder pressures and that would mean more wear it's miniscule I know but proves my arguement more

16 valve also costs more money. Good luck finding a $50 Lotus head...
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

chew on this simon, the 16 valve motors have an extra cam to turn so I would think that would mean it would need to make extra power to make up for that on the dyno. Thus the 16 valve motor would need higher cylinder pressures and that would mean more wear it's miniscule I know but proves my arguement more
    Would have to know all the spring pressures to determine the power needed to turn the cams.

if you have 2 engines, both making 500 whp
    Good luck finding a $50 Lotus head
    Good luck finding any 500 hp capable head for $50.

Oh, if you do, let me know, I'll take three!!

turbo addict

So now you have to equate for frictional differences between water pumps, oil pumps, distributors (or lack thereof), etc....

my vote: 8v rod bearing will go sooner than 16v, all else the same more or less....excluding turbos

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    Would have to know all the spring pressures to determine the power needed to turn the cams.

Good luck finding any 500 hp capable head for $50.

Oh, if you do, let me know, I'll take three!!
    I'll see how gasketmaster makes out with his van. If he pulls it off, I just picked up a 655 head at pick a part for $50, and I have a $50 2 piece intake to go with it.
    later Dick Westerhof

I bet you can't even measure that. The midrange in my van is unreal at low boost, way more than my 8 valve setup,

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    16 valve also costs more money. Good luck finding a $50 Lotus head...
    So go Neon head, after the costs of porting an 8 valve head, custom intake and ported ex manni,

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Added poll and moved to 'engine' section.

Assumptions

both are 2.2L displacement
    8v = SOHC
    16v = DOHC
    both produce 500whp

Anything else to add?

EDIT: by "Engine wear" lets define that as gereral engine durability... bearings, rings, turbo life, etc. cool?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I bet you can't even measure that. The midrange in my van is unreal at low boost, way more than my 8 valve setup,

So go Neon head, after the costs of porting an 8 valve head, custom intake and ported ex manni,
    I had a Neon head, but I needed custom intake and exhaust manifolds, new pistons (again), remachined block (again), plus I would have to mess around with a 16 valve cal. If it wasn't my daily driver it would be doable, over a long period of time, but I need my car running by monday morning, and don't have the cash to build a good second engine.
    later Dick Westerhof

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast