Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super50 Hybrid has arrived!

Garrett booster

Re: Super50 Hybrid has arrived!

I wish I understood turbos, housings, wheels and maps more. It's all greek to me. Thank God we have vendors to advise us as t what turbos to buy. I neeed it all laid out in plain english, like what kind of hp it will produce at 20 psi, how soon (rpm) we can expect to reach max boost, and how soon we can expect it to begin to spool....etc.

I wouldnt go to a vendor to figure out the best turbo for my application, these message boards are a lot better for that. Just search around for stuff that you dont know and read until you understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboBuggy
    I wouldnt go to a vendor to figure out the best turbo for my application, these message boards are a lot better for that. Just search around for stuff that you dont know and read until you understand it.
    Using the experience of guys on this board would be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore
    I wish I understood turbos, housings, wheels and maps more. It's all greek to me. Thank God we have vendors to advise us as t what turbos to buy. I neeed it all laid out in plain english, like what kind of hp it will produce at 20 psi, how soon (rpm) we can expect to reach max boost, and how soon we can expect it to begin to spool....etc.
    HP produced, RPM vs. max boost, and spool time can all be affected by tune and setup. Those numbers are going to be nearly impossible to just lay out there for you...that's the real problem with turbo selection. You could choose a turbo based on previous experience, but that certainly won't gaurantee that it'll respond the same in your car.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    You've got plenty of flow for the turbo. I'm running a 2.2... granted, i have one of Steve Menegon's magic-maker heads on there, but a 2.5 can spool a pretty big turbo.

I'd like to get a good flowing head, this one is mildly ported with back-cut standard sized valves...not sure how well it flows. Did ~223 whp on the dyno last year with this set-up. I considering up-grading to a larger turbo but don't want to ruin the drivablity...
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 07-09-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yep, vendors do know alot but asking or searching here will get you a better idea. I have learned alot over the years so I am a bit more educated than when I bought mine.

Great answer Chris, every car/van will react differently unless you have the exact same setup in the vehicles.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Great answer Chris, every car/van will react differently unless you have the exact same setup in the vehicles.
    Thanks Simon, but ya know even (2) exact setups will react/respond differently. This is why custom cals even need tweaking. Each car truly is an individual.

How's the car running Mike?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Faulk
    Thanks Simon, but ya know even (2) exact setups will react/respond differently. This is why custom cals even need tweaking. Each car truly is an individual.

How's the car running Mike?
    The car is running VERY well. Still can't believe i have only 9-10psi running to it. My next day off, I'm gonna change the oil again, put some good gas in it, and G-valve it.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

If I was going to do it all over again, I think I would have gotten a super 50 with a stage1 .63ar. It wouldn't have the top end that the stage2 has but it would spool a good bit quicker and it would likely be a much better option for a mostly street car.

BTY I have a 50 trim with a stage2 .63ar

Quote Originally Posted by JuXsA
    If I was going to do it all over again, I think I would have gotten a super 50 with a stage1 .63ar. It wouldn't have the top end that the stage2 has but it would spool a good bit quicker and it would likely be a much better option for a mostly street car.

BTY I have a 50 trim with a stage2 .63ar

I would definitely go with the S50, but i can't see sticking with the S1 turbine.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

reason to stick with the S1 turbine is for faster spool up. Might hurt up high but I would imagine it would build boost at a much lower RPM.

With the S50 wheel, you won't need the smaller turbine for faster spoolup. The S50 has a lower boost threshold
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

well I feel Like I have been screwed. TU had said tha the 50 trim would be a better wheel for a mild ported head then the S50.

Between the S50 and the 50, how much faster does the S50 build boost?

Thanks

It spools about as fast as my brother's Daytona Shelby, and it had a stock turbo on it.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

damn.... I am wondering if I screwed up in my turbo purchase. For the past week I have been thinking I should have gone with a Super 60 turbo. Streetablity has always been an issue with me and it sounds like with the 50 trim is not a very good wheel for a mostly street car. You were saying that with the 50 trim you wouldn't build boost untill 3400rpms and with the S50 its more like a stock turbo?

I have a 2.2 turbo shadow with a garret. I start building boost around 2k rpms. Is this where you starting to build boost?

im thinking about going with the S50 and stage3 wheel in a .48 housing, someone else did that and said it spooled awesome

I think you'd be choking yourself with the small housing. If you really want to stick with the small housing for spoolup issues, then you might as well stick with a smaller compressor too, because the small turbine will choking you.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Everyone loves the HAH (Half Assed Hybrid), Mike. You coined a good term, btw.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    I think you'd be choking yourself with the small housing. If you really want to stick with the small housing for spoolup issues, then you might as well stick with a smaller compressor too, because the small turbine will choking you.
    I run a 2.2L, im waiting on this thread http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096 to make my decision

I think I am just going to sell my hybrid and go with a Super 60. Its a tried and tru turbo and will spool like a stocker and makes awesome power. My goal is between 275-300whp, and I bet I could do that on pump gas since I have an Air to Water IC.... No need to worry about heat

Just wanted to post an update. Chris W. drove through Knoxville today and we had lunch. He was very cool and a stand up guy. We worked it out and he has made one very happy customer. I also got my 3in SV.... that thing is FREAKING sweet. If your on the fence about getting one... DO IT. The pictures of it online don't do it justice, it is much better looking in person.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast