Thread: anyone know what this component is on a smec?

Hybrid booster

anyone know what this component is on a smec?

i was de-potting the board on my smec and i broke one of the components on the board. ( DOH!) nothing else was damaged, but one of the legs is snapped off on this little white resistor/ceramic capacitor, whatever it is so i need to replace it. problem is there are no markings on it or the board. its the one right next to the eprom by the bottom edge of the board.id post a pic but my digital camera doesnt exist at the moment.
    anybody know what im talkin about?

Re: anyone know what this component is on a smec?

Is it the same part that's shown in the pic here (in the picture right above where it says "very important")?
    http://www.turbododge.info/socket_p4.htm

If it's the same dealy that always gets broken when depotting a SMEC, then it's a thermistor that measures air temperature. The SMEC uses it to adjust charging voltage from the alternator depending on the temperature (higher for cold weather). From what I understand, if the thermistor is broken, the SMEC will use a failsafe charging voltage and set a code. Not that big of a deal...

If you're real worried about it, maybe one of the electronics gurus can point you to a suitable replacement that you could solder in (shouldn't be too expensive). Or, maybe someone has a dead SMEC that they could desolder one from and send it to you.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Hanna; 11-21-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Hybrid booster

yup that would be it. i kinda thought it might be a thermistor but wasnt sure. either way i can easily replace that, any thermistor should work ok enough for it not to set a code. thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    yup that would be it. i kinda thought it might be a thermistor but wasnt sure. either way i can easily replace that, any thermistor should work ok enough for it not to set a code. thanks for the info
    I'd be a little worried about just tossing any old thermistor in there. I can see the potential for overcharging your battery in hot weather or undercharging it in cold weather depending on which way and how bad it's mismatched. I believe I'd just leave it out and see if there's some way to mask the code in the cal if you can't find the right replacement.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

you cant just toss in any thermistor. you can steal one from a TBI computer though.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Is it the same part that's shown in the pic here (in the picture right above where it says "very important")?
    http://www.turbododge.info/socket_p4.htm

If it's the same dealy that always gets broken when depotting a SMEC, then it's a thermistor that measures air temperature. The SMEC uses it to adjust charging voltage from the alternator depending on the temperature (higher for cold weather). From what I understand, if the thermistor is broken, the SMEC will use a failsafe charging voltage and set a code. Not that big of a deal...

If you're real worried about it, maybe one of the electronics gurus can point you to a suitable replacement that you could solder in (shouldn't be too expensive). Or, maybe someone has a dead SMEC that they could desolder one from and send it to you.

Tony
    I think I have these files saved for reference. Is there a problem with hosting this as a backup site? I don't want to infringe on anyone's stuff, but just in case the main site goes away or goes down. Free of charge, of course.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I think I have these files saved for reference. Is there a problem with hosting this as a backup site? I don't want to infringe on anyone's stuff, but just in case the main site goes away or goes down. Free of charge, of course.
    That's going to be an interesting situation. I'm pretty sure the owner of that site (UNA) is permabanned here. I don't know any of the details, just that he was around and then gone. I think it might have been over a bad deal. Anyhow, you could try contacting him by the link on his site. Hopefully any hard feelings he has over whatever happened on the boards won't extend to other TM owners in general...

Oh well then he probably wouldn't want me posting it then. I thought he was over here. That stinks and I don't suspect he would want the files hosted for the T-M group, but I will ask.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

He's back on TD.com, FWIW - UnaClocker...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Well I can't get on over there so if anyone will check for me, that would be cool. If not, then that's fine too.

Hybrid booster

well for the moment i just stuck a 4k ohm resistor in there. the thermistor ohmed out at around 4 k at room temp, so i just did that temporarily while i finish up the computer. i'll probably be hitting the yard next week to snag a couple more SMECs and i'll just pop open a TBI SMEC and remove the thermistor. i wont be installing the SMEC till i have the right kind of thermistor in it, and i still have to build an interface cable and all that so it will be a couple weeks before i drop it in the car.