Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subframe connectors

Hybrid booster

Subframe connectors

Hi All, does anyone know of anyone or a vendor that makes these for the Daytona? My t-top car could really use them.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Subframe connectors

I am unaware of any currently being made by a vendor.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Have not seen a pre-fab one, gotta make one yourself. Do you race it or is it a street car? If race, a 6pt cage will stiffen the hell out of it.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

A brace between the rear fender wells and the seats works wonders.

Hybrid booster

I don't race it, although I took it to a track day along time ago. It's a driver, but it is just loose because of the t-tops. My 89 Taurus SHO has them, and it really stiffened that car up alot, figured it couldn't hurt on this one.
    I have seen pics of the rear seat area braces, not a big fan of that. I'm kinda looking to restore the car more so than go crazy, so any mods i do have to be really discreet and keep the car looking like new.
    I'll just end up making some I guess.
    ~Tom

turbo addict

I'm not a big fan of the ones that you have to cut through the plastic and drill holes in the car either. Mine doesn't do that.

Hybrid booster

tell me more about them.

Hybrid booster

Hi All, I am talking to someone about making subframe connectors for the Daytona. The guy who I am talking to engineered and sells them for the Taurus SHO. I have them on my 89 SHO and it made the car very stiff.
    If anyone is interested send me a message.
    ~Tom

Cool... if enough interest, I saw your post in the 'group buy' area .... or invite your firend to become a vendor?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

He specializes in stuff for Taurus SHO's. So I doubt he will branch out. But incase he wants to I'll let him know.

yeah, it would probably pend interest too... if he only offers 1 or 2 items, the 'basic vendor' is pretty resonable.

ok,

/salesmode

LOL!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    Hi All, I am talking to someone about making subframe connectors for the Daytona. The guy who I am talking to engineered and sells them for the Taurus SHO. I have them on my 89 SHO and it made the car very stiff.
    If anyone is interested send me a message.
    ~Tom
    I wouldn't mind having some for my convertible. It quivers more than a fat woman's butt!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

the thing with subframe connectors for our cars... where do you connect the rear bits.

with the SHO it was cake to connect it to the point where the rear trailing links attached cause there was a big chunk of flat steel to weld it to.

on our cars there is no such structure. maybe if you boxed in where the rear trailing arm attaches and weld it to the bottom of that but i dunno.

guys converting their cars to awd and rwd are going to have to do something like this. i cant see the structure being strong enough to handle the extra load without some extra structure.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

ive been wanting to get subframe connectors for my cars for years but never put too much thought into it. I do think that where the trailing arms attach is the likeliest candidate, but beyond that im just waiting for everyone else to figure it out

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

the problem is that the trailing arms just bolt up into the rear "frame" rails. you could sandwich a plate between that and weld it to the steel going forwards. you will have to deal with the e-brake cables, the brake hoses and the exhaust in that area though.

I should have taken some pics when it gutted that lebaron of all its suspension. now i cant remember how it was exactly.

i was going to look for the shots of lugerts shadow when he posted them of the cage cause it think it gave some detail of that area under there but i couldnt find them. if anyone has them post them up please.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

How about something like the indy pace car modifications?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    How about something like the indy pace car modifications?
    I forgot all about that. I kept some of the pictures from that guy selling one on Ebay. Looks like basically a big "X" under the car. Guess it works!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11rvnug.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	11379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16m7l7d.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	11380  

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Why not just bolt a thick plate to the control arm mount. Then run rectangle tubing(square tubing) at an angle in towards the center of the car(roughly a 45* angle). It wil need to be bent to go around some things. As soon as they are in line with the front frame rails, run them forward. You could run a bar between the two at the rear and make it bolt in for easy removal. Thats off the top of my head, I don't have any pics to go by, but its a start. The plates bolt in place of the rear sway bar mounting brackets that Polybushings came up with. See the pic.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

I've been pondering some things like this as well. I like the modded lebaron pace car setup to do on my lancer. I am also looking into the viability of building an avenger awd with the dsm platform and possibly if it would work a neon head and MS. This would all be provided funds from the potential railroad jobs I've looked into. The prob with the avenger is there isn't much to tie to the frame rails are flimsy compared to the true mopar variety. I like your idea bryan. might make it easier for people to fab them up as well going that route. I have plenty of access to square tube working in a machine shop.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

I'm meeting the guy who makes these for SHO's Dec 7th. I'll talk to him about the x brace from the pace car, and the idea of mounting to the rear suspension control arm mount. Let me see what He says and i will get back to you all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast