Thread: 87 sundance rides like a K car Need advice

Garrett booster

87 sundance rides like a K car Need advice

87 Sundance Pbody with a T2 setup that I just completed with intercooler and all and a stage 5 FWD cal with all the goodies to support it. Car rides like a rock, just like several K cars I have had over the years. Any suggestions for struts and rear shocks to smooth this out some and also to help support with my increased power and performance needs. Thanks

turbo addict

Re: 87 sundance rides like a K car Need advice

MY 88 CSX-T was the worst riding SD/TD I have ever owned. I had Koni's and Eibach's just like all my other cars in the past. My last car was a 91 SDaytona Shelby that on full firm rode and handled like a dream...which got me to thinking...other than the weights of the two cars taken into account (heavier cars ride better on the same rate spings/shocks) what is so different? The answer:

Dual pivot K-Frame

Once I swapped out the stub strut K-Frame for the Dual pivot the car rode like I remember my Daytona Shelby did. I'm sure I could improve that even more with a front swaybar with end links.

Garrett booster

You may have expected this question from me. How did you go about doing this. I am not familiar with what you did? I would really like driving this sundance like a car again without the hardness. Thanks for any input that you can give me.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikes87t2 View Post
    You may have expected this question from me. How did you go about doing this. I am not familiar with what you did? I would really like driving this sundance like a car again without the hardness. Thanks for any input that you can give me.
    You will have to put in an 89+ K frame. I took one out of a 92' Shadow so it already has the cast arms which are better, and the knuckles also allow for an easy 11" brake conversion.

turbo addict

use an 89/90 kmember and A-arms. Then you don't have to worry about any caster change. 89/90 11" brakes are far easier than trying to find a 91+ big brake car since you can steal parts from a minivan up to 1990 if you have to. Also the stamped arms and the 89/90 style 11" spindle are MUCH MUCH lighter than the 91+ stuff which makes for better handling with less unsprung and semi sprung mass to move around. And if you happen to hit a big rock or curb or other object the a-arm just bends, it doesn't snap in half and cause more damage like a cast arm does.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i have seen relatively few 89 90 11" cars in the yards but a LOT of 11" 91-93 daytonas. apparently those years a lot of daytonas got the big brakes that werent even turbo.

Hybrid booster

any 91+ shadow, dynasty, spirit, daytona will donate the k frame and arms. for the big brakes a 91-95 grand caravan with 15 inch wheels will give you the calipers and brackets (and pads if they have life left). all you need to do is buy rotors because the lug spacing is larger on the van.