Thread: Need a wiring harness

Garrett booster

Need a wiring harness

I need either the wiring harness from a 1988 turbo new yorker, or out of a 1987 dodge daytona shelby TII. If anybody has one they're willing/wanting to sell please let me know. I really need to get this car running!

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: Need a wiring harness

I have one from an 87 Lebaron TI car, but I dont know if that will get you what your after.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Garrett booster

No unfortunately. The car's a TII now. Thanks anyway though.

boostaholic

are you looking for a smec or lm wiring harness? I have one from an 89' turbo spirit/acclaim if that would work for you.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Garrett booster

I'm looking for either a smec of lm. I have the computers to run both. Basically the project is an 87 lebaron that's been converted to T2. The only 2 harnesses I know of to work is an 87 daytona harness, or an 88 new yorker turbo harness, cause those are the only ones that are compatable with the plug on the firewall, and have the right connections for T2 sensors.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by itsbudda View Post
    I'm looking for either a smec of lm. I have the computers to run both. Basically the project is an 87 lebaron that's been converted to T2. The only 2 harnesses I know of to work is an 87 daytona harness, or an 88 new yorker turbo harness, cause those are the only ones that are compatable with the plug on the firewall, and have the right connections for T2 sensors.

wouldn't it be easier to use the existing harness and just add the few wires needed for the t-2 conversion?

I need to start making harness. I could make a killing. :-|
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

You probably could. I'd say go for it. But anyway it looks like I may have found the harness i needed.

As for modifying my existing harness, i don't trust my electrical skills to do that as much as I trust my plug it in skills.

Well I'd have to ween people off running the harness along the firewall and not sure if anyone's really ready for that yet.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Yeah that's dangerous thinking. The firewall's one hell of a security blanket

boostaholic

You probably could. I'd say go for it. But anyway it looks like I may have found the harness i needed.

As for modifying my existing harness, i don't trust my electrical skills to do that as much as I trust my plug it in skills.
    Its not that hard plus it would be 10 times easier if you just added the 2 wires for the ais (maybe the tps, for my 87 lebaron I didnt have to). and plug them in to the logic module. and of course a t-2 computer. Thats all you need to change for a t-2 conversion

Yeah that's dangerous thinking. The firewall's one hell of a security blanket
    After you have an engine fire from a leaky injector, you think twice about how things were originally.

Garrett booster

That's a very good point. And a lesson I hope I don't have to learn firsthand

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Well I'd have to ween people off running the harness along the firewall and not sure if anyone's really ready for that yet.
    Go on...

Well let me try and explain. The conversion for my car was an 89 Daytona harness going into a Charger. Without stating all the obvious differences, the main one was length. But with that, it gave me the opportunity to move the harness to the front of the car and run the wires I need to under the radiator support. The other thing to remember is that this was with a SMEC, so this wouldn't apply with a LM setup.

So the MAP sensor, passenger headlights and the solenoids (for those using them) would go under the rad. support. The rest of the wiring that goes to the fuel rail, O2, etc now come from about where the clutch cable bracket is and run under the throttle body.

The sub-harness for the alternator is run the same, grouping all wires for the HEP, temp and oil senders, etc. Later on, I moved the MAP wiring on the same route as the sub-harness to shorten the wires and clean it up a bit. But basically I removed any and all chances of the wires getting damaged in the event of a fuel leak like before. Granted, that was on a TI, but I like the fact that wiring is grouped the way I have it now.

Some other things I did were throwing away the POS fuel rail harness and buying new Bosch injector connectors. I was going to redo the factory ones, but the rubber boots are no longer available from anywhere. Besides that the new connectors have push clips for easy removal instead of having to remove that metal clip with a flathead or whatever and potentially losing the clip. And for most of the bulk connectors, I went with a newer and easier Molex connector from Mouser Electronics. They sell them in 2, 4, 8, 10, 16 and 24 pin groups so I ended up using those to group the wires at the fuel rail (injectors, O2, air charge temp, etc.) into one connector to eliminate clutter. Same thing with the sub-harness and just about anywhere else I could use them.

Once I had everything I was going to use and terminated, the harness was fed through some fire-proof loom, used heat shrink tubing to band the loom to the wiring and friction tape elsewhere where the heat shrink couldn't be used. I still need to clean things up where everything goes to the computer because that is still a little messy, but overall I think it looks good and is definitely out of the way.

This is what I did for the sub-harness and very similar to the rest of the harness.

http://www.minigts.com/car/electrica...ng%20after.jpg

I know this wouldn't work for everyone and most probably won't care to spend the time to organize a harness if the car is running. But with all of the gremlins I chased down for YEARS literally, to me this is a very critical aspect that is greatly overlooked. What's even funnier is I skimped on working on the wiring close the computer because I was in a hurry to get the car running. Well it came back to bite me when two of the HEP wires lost their factory friction tape wrapping over bare wires (I mean seriously, from the factory like that) and they started grounding. Almost left me stranded on the side of the road. THAT led me to fixing those wires and I rechecked everything by the computer. Still need to do some organization, but ALL my wires are in good shape.

There are a few links on the board that have catalogs for viewing where someone could buy the factory Chrysler pins and I would strongly recommend this for anyone trying to re-wire their car.

Can you post a pic of your engine bay? I'd love to see the end product, may have added something else to the CSX To Do List lol

Garrett booster

+1. I like the idea

Here are some of the overall bay. Not the best to show the wiring, but it would be hard to see regardless. If I take it out again, I will snap a few pics and post. Keep in mind too, I have a fuse box instead of the fusable links.

One other thing, I DO have my intercooler plumbing run. This was temporary a while back.

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/intake/intake7.jpg

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/intake/intake8.jpg

This is more of a close up of the wiring going from the computer to the fuel rail and others.

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/intake/intake5.jpg

This is a close up of the one in the picture in my previous post.

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/intake/intake6.jpg

That is all I have available now, but if you need any diagrams or have any questions, just let me know. I just scanned in the entire book for the L/M/Z for the 85, so I could post ones for 89 if you need, as that is the only other set of wiring diagrams I have.

Here is the whole directory in case you want to try and view different angles.

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/intake/

AND this link:

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/engine/intercooler/