Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Piece Intake Upper Plenums and Phenolic Spacers

turbo addict

2 Piece Intake Upper Plenums and Phenolic Spacers

I have 2 BR Intake plenums for sale. They're available with a 52 or a 58mm TB plate. The location and # of 3/8ths vacuum fittings are also decided by the purchaser. As far as finish there's a couple different things I can do. I can polish it, just put a nice grain on it or leave it just as it comes for you to do with what you want with it. Powdercoating is an option but I'll have to charge whatever I get charged for it. My powdercoating guy does real nice work for what I thought was a good price. His wrinkle black looks just like factory which is what I went with.

Heavy porting of the lower intake is required as well as an aftermarket fuel rail. It comes with all the attaching hardware. With a little contortionism (spelling?) you can remove this plenum while it's still on the car if you so desire.

This is for those of you that have a modified top end and are looking for something that will help the head see as many cfm as possible. Why have a head that flows 190cfm if your intake only flows 140? Kind of defeats the purpose of spending all that money on a killer head only to choke it off with a sub standard intake don't you think?

A lot of people say that adding a big plenum add's lag and kills low end hp. From my setup I've found this not to be true at all. I have a 58mm TB on mine, with a ported head, slightly larger than +1mm valves, a tubular header (JRB for you old SDML guys) and an true S60 turbo. There is Zero lag and plenty of bottom end power. I start seeing positive boost at 1700rpms and have full spool by 2k rpms where before I'd start seeing boost around 2100 and full boost by 2500rpms. Yes I need a bigger turbo now. The top rpm range is absolutely amazing. And I'm running it on a 2.5 which are known not to rev. Well I've already hit the 7200rpm rev limit twice on accident. It sings above 3500rpms like a 16v and pulls hard from 1200rpms all the way to redline. Throttle response is instantaneous with the 58mm TB. So much so I've totally had to readjust my throttle foot to suit it.

I also have phenolic spacers to match. It really helps keep the plenum cool. The lower piece get's very hot after sitting in traffic and I can lean and work on my plenum right after popping the hood if I have to. They're matched to the plenum and gasket so they just bolt right on. I won't be machining any more spacers ever so once they're gone they're gone.

Pics of their status are here. http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2666
    Once I have all the options you want I weld them up and add whatever else we agree on.

Some pics of the prototype being mocked up and a plate with the feature's cut into it placed on an already ported lower half to see how much more needs to be ported out. The Plenums go all the way to the gasket with a 45 degree angle cut into the floor to help flow into the port.
    http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2533

And finally being put together on the car and finished.
    http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3074

The price is $325 for the plenum and $50 for a phenolic spacer if purchased with the plenum.
    Contact me at Oakley1@ix.netcom.com if your interested.

turbo addict

Re: 2 Piece Intake Upper Plenums and Phenolic Spacers

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2
    +/- .125" tolerance
    Still working to those standards?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I'll let you know.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Hahah now that's funny. What ondonti is referring to is a post over on TD.com I made in regards to someone else's tolerancing. Then of course it was all deleted and Ondonti seems to be xxxxxxxxxxxxxx without being a moderator on either site. Ondonti if you have something to say why don't you just say it instead of making snide little comments. It won't hurt my feelings.

My tolerancing is +/- .005 and most of my stuff comes out within .001-.002. That's just what happens when you dial in a vice properly and take some time with the finish of your stuff.

Ondonti you're more than welcome to stop by and check things out your next time through town assuming you come this way when you're on your way to seattle or SLC. I think you'll find your comments are very un founded.
    Last edited by contraption22; 01-11-2009 at 10:38 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    I'll let you know.
    I got the snow dug out Andy, I'll give the welder a call on monday.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Hahah now that's funny. What ondonti is referring to is a post over on TD.com I made in regards to someone else's tolerancing. Then of course it was all deleted and Ondonti seems to be Sucking RickP's dick without being a moderator on either site. Ondonti if you have something to say why don't you just say it instead of making snide little comments. It won't hurt my feelings.

My tolerancing is +/- .005 and most of my sh1t comes out within .001-.002. That's just what happens when you dial in a vice properly and take some time with the finish of your sh1t.

Ondonti you're more than welcome to stop by and check things out your next time through town assuming you come this way when you're on your way to seattle or SLC. I think you'll find your comments are very un founded.

turbo addict

I got the snow dug out Andy, I'll give the welder a call on monday.
    No rush Jay...you know that

Hey ondonkey? I seem to remember seeing some pics of an intake you made...maybe you should go back and take a look at them before you post something about someone else's work.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Interested in the spacer...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

First off I appoligize for jacking your thread, your stuff looks good, but I'm just irratated. Ondonti and his minature posse is the main reason I don't spend any time at td anymore. That and I think Ken is a great guy....looking forward to sdac and seeing him after 8-9 years...Anyway all Ondonti does is sit in his parents basement and tell everyone how knowlegable he is and if you don't agree with him your stupid. I'm sure most know of his exploits in the community. I don't post anywhere much but after the punk thats half my age was running me down on tos because my opinion on a non td issue was different then his, well when he grows up then he can talk to me. I was really hoping he wouldn't make it over here or that he would be banned, but I realize he doesn't post enough crap to be banned...just enough to tick people off. ..Dude, I appoligize again for jacking your thread and the rant....good luck with the sales.....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    Interested in the spacer...
    Ken, shoot me an Email.

turbo addict

Very nice looking machine work!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

hey did you get my E mail I want one.

turbo addict

I did while I was home for 5 mins. I'll reply later tonight when I get home.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Jay - beautiful work. Just saw this thread. The phenolic spacer works. I made one too and with a Harbor Freight laser thermometer I saw 100* differences between the temperatures of the upper and lower plenums! Phenolic is wicked stuff to work with. Can it be cut by cnc water jet?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

John, thanks that means a lot. Very intersting results with the IR gauge. I've been contemplating buying one to use. I can literally come in to the shop after driving around when it's 100 degrees outside, pop the hood and lean my arm right on the plenum. Which I love! A 87 ShelbyZ get's VERY hot under the hood because there's no vents. With the stock intake you don't touch the plenum for 4-5 hrs or more on hot days.

I'm not sure if it can be water jetted. I would imagine so. Although you might get some tapering of the holes which would suck. If I had known the mess it was gonna make in the machine I wouldn't of done it. That's why when these are gone they're gone.

turbo addict

Why do you think I bought one from you?...nobody wants to mess with that stuff! If you find someone making them you jump on it if you can

turbo addict

Well guys, today has been a great success. Props go out to Ondonti for bumping this thread Both Plenums are pending sale. If I've emailed you or PM'd you back requesting an email you know who you are.

There are still spacer's available although I don't know how many exactly, probably 2-3 maybe a couple more.

If there are some that missed these but want a plenum let me know. If I can get 3 or 4 commited buyers I might do some more of these. The 2 that I had for sale here are what was left over after a buddy and I made some for our cars.

It's funny these things have been for sale the beginning of Sept on one forum and here since November. And in 1 day they're all spoken for pending final details and payments. Thanks guys.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

So can you use the spacer with the stock 2-piece? If so I'm interested

turbo addict

no my spacer is machined to work with the plenum port size and a port matched lower piece. It's also too thick to run underhood of an Lbody at least going off JohnL's foil ball test I'm not sure how other's would clear though either.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

no my spacer is machined to work with the plenum port size and a port matched lower piece. It's also too thick to run underhood of an Lbody at least going off JohnL's foil ball test I'm not sure how other's would clear though either.
    Oh I see, thanks for the reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast