Thread: Looking for long term engine storage tips.

turbo addict

Looking for long term engine storage tips.

I'll be putting a fairly low mileage 2.5 turbo away for a while and am looking for any ideas you may have for storage. The engine could be out of use for 6 months, 3 years, I don't know.

What I was thinking was to use some fogger oil to help keep the cylinders oiled. Also remove the rocker arms so the valves stay closed to keep crap out and so the valve springs don't stay compressed for an extended time. Obviously tape shut the throttle body, turbo openings, etc.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Re: Looking for long term engine storage tips.

http://www.sacskyranch.com/acatalog/...eserve_42.html

Dehydrator plugs ($5.95 each AN4064-1 for 14mm):

Phillips Aviation Anti-Rust Oil ($23.77/gallon)

For tips on what to do to prep for storage, use Google to get a good overview of the methods small aircraft and boat owners are using. Both have expensive engines and spend a lot of time in storage so it stands to reason that they have developed some pretty good storage practices.

Tony

Hybrid booster

Wow! Tony, Very Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by BF/STOCKER SPIRIT View Post
    Wow! Tony, Very Interesting
    I thought so too. Another interesting trick for preserving a stored engine is to completely pickle it by filling the entire engine (to the top of the valve cover and cylinders as well) with oil. As I recall, that's how the military used to do it. I can see that creating quite a mess over time if it leaks at all. That would probably be a better bet for extremely long term storage where (in my opinion) the dehydrator plugs and anti-rust oil would be better short term.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    I thought so too. Another interesting trick for preserving a stored engine is to completely pickle it by filling the entire engine (to the top of the valve cover and cylinders as well) with oil. As I recall, that's how the military used to do it. I can see that creating quite a mess over time if it leaks at all. That would probably be a better bet for extremely long term storage where (in my opinion) the dehydrator plugs and anti-rust oil would be better short term.
    I have heard of people doing that also. No better way to prevent rust than to just fill it with oil.