Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: omni axles

boostaholic

Re: omni axles

them things have alignment? im glad i dont have one lol.... but then again i guess that would seperate a mechanic from a great mechanic.... i take a long time workin on my stuff cuz i like to be dead set positive that its together the best way it can be

Hybrid booster

Wait, what? Which problem? The intermidiete shaft doesn't move from where it is. It's bolted to the engine and the engine is bolted to the trans which is where the axle ends up. If you had a REALLY mis aligned engine it would help strip the teeth but I haven't seen one strip out less then an inch deep.

Them things? Like a T-M? Or any FWD car? Clear me up here, who is and isn't the great mechanic you speak of?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

This thread has been hashed out many times before, but to reiterate my point...

+1 to unequal length having no effect on torque steer.

+1 to having a higher potential for parts breakage with the equal setup. Greater chance something will break and break something else since there are more points for failure.

+1 for having stripped out the int. shaft because they can't handle the power when they are older from what I have seen first hand.

+1 for not being able to buy a replacement bearing for the int. shaft making it useless when it goes.
    Last edited by cordes; 11-13-2008 at 12:32 AM.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    This thread has been hashed out many times before, but to reiterate my point...

+1 to unequal length having no effect on torque steer.

+1 to having a higher potential for parts breakage with the equal length setup. Greater chance something will break and break something else since there are more points for failure.

+1 for having stripped out the int. shaft because they can't handle the power when they are older from what I have seen first hand.

+1 for not being able to buy a replacement bearing for the int. shaft making it useless when it goes.
    Fixed it for ya.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    Thanks I edited the original post.

Hybrid booster

Thanks I edited the original post.
    Jeez, I didn't mean to make them sound worthless. The DO help with torque steer, just not eliminate it,

As far as higher potential for breakage, I guess with the lower HP a lot of people are running you'd be fine with the 3 foot axle running the length of your undercarriage to the other side of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    Jeez, I didn't mean to make them sound worthless. The DO help with torque steer, just not eliminate it,

As far as higher potential for breakage, I guess with the lower HP a lot of people are running you'd be fine with the 3 foot axle running the length of your undercarriage to the other side of the car.
    They really arent for the high hp setups, but for the stock type setups, the intermediate shaft is fine. Either way really works.
    BTW....you didn't make them sound worthless, we already knew it....LOL!
    Bryan

Hybrid booster

They really arent for the high hp setups, but for the stock type setups, the intermediate shaft is fine. Either way really works.
    BTW....you didn't make them sound worthless, we already knew it....LOL!
    I haven't stripped or snapped any of my set ups yet. It's just that I've seen a lot of cars both T-M and otherwise. So if a failure is a 1% of the time type thing, I've usually seen it. If I haven't, then one of my partners have.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

stephane beauregard use unequal on is charger ... maybe not stock axle , im trying the unequal this summer ! and had oversteer before so i see if there is difference ,
    i stripped the half shaft on the charger an then welded the half shaft to the axle (weld by a experience welder) and finish up with a broken axle one year later
    but the first problem was the old owner not putting two but one bolt on the bearing on the half shaft to the block so ....

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Some do, some don't. I've never killed one so thats saying something,
    Yep no matter how many posts you have they don't break. :P

-Rich

FYI:

Reeves uses unequal axles in the 500 Ft Lb Omni, without the 500 Ft Lbs of torque steering it.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

The splines in the intermediate shaft strip because they get water inside of the intermediate shaft and it rusts out... It isn't a power thing necessarily. I stripped one out on my old TI car.

There is supposed to be a rubber seal (washer) there to stop it from happening but it often drys out cracks and falls out.

-Rich

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

As long as were on the axle subject, is there any recomondations on omni axle suppliers...NAPA, Advance??? or maybe a rebuilder? I'll need a couple sets, but 1 set will have to hold up to quite a bit of hp and abuse. I know some have modified mini axles...are they that much stronger? thanx

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Yep. That's the ticket. Try to get the ones with the billet cans and if they want your billet can axles as cores for their tin can axles, then go somewhere else or get your axles rebuilt.
    Call Stan Cannon at Cannon's Racks and Axles. Tell him I sent you. Be specific on what axles you really want and if you want the big or small spline. He'll hook you up.

(256)-650-0150

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

turbo addict

Can it be said also that there are large and small spline intermediate shafts and the ones in the L body are smaller.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Can it be said also that there are large and small spline intermediate shafts and the ones in the L body are smaller.
    No, I believe the int. shafts are all the same with the exception of spline size. It's the axle which is shorter.

No, I believe the int. shafts are all the same with the exception of spline size. It's the axle which is shorter.
    The difference in splines is on the trans side. The L bodies have the smaller 525 size while the other cars that came with 555s have the larger size. My car had the 555 shaft for the trans and the regular L-body outer shaft and bracket.
    Bryan

The difference in splines is on the trans side. The L bodies have the smaller 525 size while the other cars that came with 555s have the larger size. My car had the 555 shaft for the trans and the regular L-body outer shaft and bracket.
    Some int. shafts are indeed the smaller spline size even if they didn't come in an L body. The 86' and earlier cars all got small spline axles. I found that out the hard way when I swapped the 523 into my 600 only to have it not move due to the small axles and int. shaft.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

They are different length's, with L body being the shortest, followed by cars, then vans. L body's also have their own unique bearing.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    They are different length's, with L body being the shortest, followed by cars, then vans. L body's also have their own unique bearing.
    I didn't know that. I would have thought the int. shafts would have been the same length and that they would have just made the difference up with the axles, but I guess that would put you at a different driver's and pass side axle again...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast