Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horriable missfire

horriable missfire

saturday night i tried running my car up to its top speed it was all fine till i hit 4500 rpm in fifth gear. then it wouldn't rev any higher so i let off and got off the freeway. as i slowing down i could feel a slight missfire. it would kinda buck a bit when i would put my foot on the throttle and if i let off it would stall out. i pulled off the road got out my handy 30 led light(probably the best light i ever bought) to give it the road side inspection. first i checked my codes olny got 55 and everything else looked fine no oil everywhere or any dead give away sign of sever engine damage.
    my first guess was the timing jumped so yesterday i went and looked at the timing it seems to be right where it should be. then i noticed that its running on only one cylinder so i looked at the plugs. to my surprise all except #1 where very lose and came right out with my finger tips. #1,#2 and number #4 where all very black and carbon covered. #3 was burnt up the electrode was completely gone ill have a pic up in bit. then i took out my wires and rotor (keep in mind these are all new wires and the rotors new as well) the ends of my wires where all burnt up and so was my rotor. after i found that i thought that was the problem so i went and took my wires and rotor back to the store and got new ones today.
    i changed them all out and its still the same it will barely idle it still bucks like crazy and it pulls almost not vacuum at all like one inch or so if i don't keep my foot on the gas it dies right away. i guess its processable the timing is off as it pulls basically no vacuum. but still its not firing on #3 still no difference in how it runs when the plug wire is on or off. im gonna go play with the timing belt a littel more but im outta ideas on why its not firing on #3

btw its 1991 daytona basically stock 2.5 common block only mod is a muffler and no cat, base ignition timing was set at 12*, boost has never gone over 11psi set up all stock using a welding tip as the orifice using waste gate solenoid also
    Last edited by shad0w2.s_tur80; 11-03-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Re: horriable missfire

heres the pics of plug #3

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You leaned out or detonated, do a compression test, your going to find you have cylinder damage, IE burnt or damaged valves,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Thats exactly how my brother's daytona lost a piston. Top speed runs can be deadly to a combination that is on the ragged edge.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Thats exactly how my brother's daytona lost a piston. Top speed runs can be deadly to a combination that is on the ragged edge.
    Indeed. Exactly what the Chrysler guys were talking about when they mentioned the road course at the SDAC tech session this year.

Brief bursts didn't generate enough heat etc. for long enough to do any catastrophic damage, but the added time from the top speed run did it in.

ok well im done and i give up its now for sale ill have the thread up later 1000 obo
    Last edited by shad0w2.s_tur80; 11-03-2008 at 05:17 PM.

turbo addict

Looks like a case of being to lean or not enough fuel pump.

ok well im back at it again i started taking the head off and when i got the valve cover off i found the rocker for the intake valve on cly #3 completely out of place who has seen this one before and can shed some light on the topic?

Quote Originally Posted by shad0w2.s_tur80 View Post
    ok well im back at it again i started taking the head off and when i got the valve cover off i found the rocker for the intake valve on cly #3 completely out of place who has seen this one before and can shed some light on the topic?
    Yep, some piece of the spark plug or piston has jammed the valve open, causing the follower to fall off. Keep going, take the head off, its NOT going to be pretty.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

yeah it wasn't pretty at all i just got all the melted piston off my cylinder wall im about get a different head and pop in a new piston and let her ride.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

yeah it wasn't pretty at all i just got all the melted piston off my cylinder wall im about get a different head and pop in a new piston and let her ride.
    At least you found the problem. how did the cylinder look? If it is scored up or damaged at all a new piston won't help the situation much.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

Doesn't look good, give us a call when your ready to rebuild.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    yeah yeah i know everyone wants to see pics of my melted piston ill get them up as soon as i get the "new" head back on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Doesn't look good, give us a call when your ready to rebuild.
    lol i did that last year, i bought all brand new bearings, all my gaskets and plastigauge.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    At least you found the problem. how did the cylinder look? If it is scored up or damaged at all a new piston won't help the situation much.
    well after i removed the melted piston, the cylinder wall was fine no scratches or any sign of damage i got lucky.

...btw its 1991 daytona basically stock 2.5 common block only mod is a muffler and no cat, base ignition timing was set at 12*, boost has never gone over 11psi set up all stock using a welding tip as the orifice using waste gate solenoid also
    Something is bad wrong to melt a piston at 11- psi and 12* base timing. If #3 was the only cylinder hurt then my guess is you have a problem with the #3 injector. I believe I'd get it flowed or at the very least replace it with a known good one. Pistons don't just melt for no good reason and I'd hate to see you go through this again after you get it back together.

Tony

+1 to what tony said. I'm also going to guess a bad injector, maybe half clogged making that cylinder run lean. Judging by what happened to the plug, definitely a lean condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Something is bad wrong to melt a piston at 11- psi and 12* base timing. If #3 was the only cylinder hurt then my guess is you have a problem with the #3 injector. I believe I'd get it flowed or at the very least replace it with a known good one. Pistons don't just melt for no good reason and I'd hate to see you go through this again after you get it back together.

Tony
    that's what i was thinking my self i have a few other rails with injectors so im gonna swap it out when i put my head on tomorrow. i really don't think this should have happened in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast