Thread: intermediate shaft failure

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Angry intermediate shaft failure

well my car died the other day, and we knew it was timing related. I had a chance to go over and check things out, i brought the motor to TDC and pulled the distributor cap off and the rotor was point more towards #2 wire? wow thats a BIG jump.

so I loosen off the dist, swing it back over so its more towards 12 degrees and am finally able to get the car running. so im hoping to get it back home but it dies 100 meters down the road after running solid for a good 10 minutes.

vac has been really poor lately at idle, like 12ish. so i push the car back, bring it back to TDC, and pull the cap...what do u know its pointing towards #2 again.

I did a lil searching around and couldnt find too much on this topic as there are so many ways for someone to describe what is happening.

anywho, just b4 it skipped out enuff for it to kill power to the motor, i heard a knocking sound is it possible to starve the motor of oil??? I had oil pressure, could it have been the teeth shearing off the pump or dist shaft??? if the oil pump wasnt spinning the dist cant. really hoping i didnt mess anything up like bearings

motor is a 2.2L CB no balance shafts. looks like ill be pulling the pan off is it just as easy as pulling out the pan, shaft and oil pump and reinstalling? making sure the intermediate shaft is lined up properly with the oil pump (altho I dont think it should really matter right??? unless you did your timing off the gears, instead of by eye)

oh btw the motor i bought was told to be fresh but im guessing not so fresh now, however i was told it has the high pressure melling pump and i was reading that they can aid in stripping of gears.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: intermediate shaft failure

It doesn't really matter how the oil pump is meshed to the shaft as I've seen lots of motors with it not indexed properly.

The only way to know is to pull the pan and then the oil pump, it will be painfully obvious.

If this is the issue, most likely the rebuilder didn't look at the intermed shaft gear and it was pitted or worn and of course, a new oil pump will wipe it out in no time flat.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

What oil pan are you using?

If you are using a 2.5 pan without balance shafts, I'd say that was your problem. I experience this failure serveral times until somebody suggested I use a 2.2 pan/pickup on my 2.5.

I suppose the good news about his. Its very easy to R&R all the parts but for pulling the intermediate shaft out of the block. I only took me a few hours with all the practice I got.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

2.2L pan

funny u mention this, because the previous owner of the block had a 2.5 pan on it!! ive only got 1000miles at most on the motor myself. I swapped the 2.2 pan on b4 i put motor in

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shelbyconcepts's Avatar

[QUOTE=inmyshadow;392757]What oil pan are you using?

If you are using a 2.5 pan without balance shafts, I'd say that was your problem. I experience this failure serveral times until somebody suggested I use a 2.2 pan/pickup on my 2.5.

I'm confused...why does removing the balance shafts cause this failure? The pan holds an extra quart of oil?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyconcepts View Post

I'm confused...why does removing the balance shafts cause this failure? The pan holds an extra quart of oil?

Tim
    Because now there is nothing to control the oil from sloshing around, so on hard braking, acceleration and cornering, the oil pump pickup is exposed and you suck up air. You need a shallower pan or a baffled BS pan.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

ok just over 2 hours and looks like the shaft/pump gears are toast
    check out pic #2....LOL....classic.

I hope anything else didnt get messed up??? oil was really black n metallic looking, im gonna change the new oil real quick, like 1 warm up, and add fresh stuff. anything else to loook for while im in there????

I was told to check for play in the intermediate shaft, for the bearings, it was nice n tight. Ill find the spare parts kick'n around and get it back running again 2morrow, hopefully no other problems
    Last edited by Juggy; 12-16-2010 at 02:09 PM.

i ground down the a/c delete bracket, so that I didnt have to remove it at all to get the gear out hehehhehee....
    ....sooooooooooooooo if this ever happens again and I had the replacement parts with me Im thinking it could be a 3 hour job total.....

How did the intermediate shaft bearings look? Did you check the rods or mains?